The Resource For Musicals

All ALW, All the Time Forum

Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
not a fan of ALW 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Hans wrote:
Somewhat related to the topic: What do you think of the idea of doing Cats Sweeney Todd Revival-style? All cats doubling (tripling?) as musicians/actors/dancers?

For CATS, I guess it could work if it were done as an on-stage orchestra of cats. But CATS has large dance numbers so there would be no "cats" available to play instruments. And the frequent dance routines are taxing of the actors' energy not to mention that CATS is a sing-through. So, it might have to be a separate cat orchestra who just play instruments or limit the number of dancers and singers for each scene. But that would come close to being "CATS in Concert".

I suppose having a small band onstage that interact with the cast could work, but they would have to be costumed, and separate characters from the rest, not singing (other than chorus for those instruments that don't require a mouth) and no dancing. It would also need to be re-orchestrated for a small band that could fit scattered on the stage, or have a token few musicians onstage, and the rest of the orchestra backstage.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:31 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Hans wrote:
Somewhat related to the topic: What do you think of the idea of doing Cats Sweeney Todd Revival-style? All cats doubling (tripling?) as musicians/actors/dancers?

But CATS has large dance numbers so there would be no "cats" available to play instruments. And the frequent dance routines are taxing of the actors' energy not to mention that CATS is a sing-through. So, it might have to be a separate cat orchestra who just play instruments or limit the number of dancers and singers for each scene. But that would come close to being "CATS in Concert".

Yeah, I suppose it's a bad idea.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:22 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: CATS, Charm&Smiley.
Main Role: Fan
It would look preatty silly to put instruments in the hands off the regular cats characters since theyre bissy as it is, but the idea off a costumed cats orchestra could work and be preatty cool. But I dont know if the musicisians would be keen on that thou...

Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:57 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Elisabeth, Cats, Follies, Scarlet Pimpernel
Post Re: not a fan of ALW
diva! wrote:
I will agree about the simplicity of certain shows. CATS has only the barest plot to start with.

Sorry if this seems off topic.

CATS is a dance show/revue, so I really get annoyed when people say "it doesn't have a plot, therefore it's bad". It doesn't need one, for what it is. I don't think it's fair to compare it to something like Phantom, only given that one is more of a traditional musical, and the other is a dance show, as I said.

RainbowJude wrote:
Cats has a straightforward plot, but I wouldn't call it bare and I'm not certain that I would call it simple either. I think that what makes it complex is the huge role that dance and choreographed movement play in this show as a tool for communicating things like character, character relationships and even bits of narrative, things that would more conventionally be revealed through the book or the score. The thing that makes people underestimate this complexity is either a misunderstanding of the ability of dance and choreographed movement to communicate these things, which subsequently makes them write off the physical staging of the show as mere "hoofing" for the sole purpose of entertainment, or an underdeveloped ability to read these things when they are translated into the medium of dance and choreographed movement rather than into words and/or music.

This.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9