The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Dancing ability? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Dancing ability?
It's obvious that BatB is a dance-heavy show for the Ensemble, but do any of the leads need to be crazy-good dancers? If so, which ones?

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:23 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Elisabeth, Cats, Follies, Scarlet Pimpernel
Post Re: Dancing ability?
I suppose it would depend on the quality of the production. Is this a school production? Community theatre? National tour?

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:38 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Cptn. Wazoo wrote:
I suppose it would depend on the quality of the production. Is this a school production? Community theatre? National tour?

For the purpose of this discussion, let's say community theater.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:33 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
- Lumiere and Babette tango in "Be Our Guest"
- Belle joins the napkins' kickline in "Be Our Guest"
- Belle and the Beast do a ballroom dance during "Beauty and the Beast"

That's the extent of the principals' dancing. Of course, I guess you could always add some gymnastics or character movement for Lefou in "Gaston", but that's completely optional. Several of the leads are too bulky to do much movement in the first place (Potts, Madame, etc.).

Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
I'd say the leads are singing/acting heavy, not dancing heavy, as stated above. If an actress can sing and act the part of Belle fantastically, I doubt she wouldn't be cast because she has two left feet. But being a good dancer never hurts your chances :) My guess is Babette and Lumiere should be the best dancers of the leads, but Belle shouldn't be too clumsy either.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:40 pm

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
Be Our Guest can be choreographed in many ways; if wanted, Belle can dance a little or a lot. Being graceful and an actor/singer "who can move" is the most that Belle needs to be, but if a theater runs across a true triple threat, then they can find ways to show that off during Be Our Guest. Sort of during "Me" as well, there are a lot of visual gags that look better when someone can move well, vs. Gaston just throwing Belle around.
Traditionally, the Napkins and Babette should be the "dancers" of the show. The Beast should show surprising grace when ballroom dancing. Lumiere should be a good enough dancer to contribute to his "smooth" personality. LeFou should move well enough or be a good enough comic actor to pull off good physical comedy. Gaston doesn't really need to 'dance', but if he does, they can always find ways to use those skills in his song. But someone who is aware of their physical presence and knows how to command the attention of a room is good enough. The rest of the ensemble should move well. A choreographer should be able to make the ensemble numbers look interesting with all the enchanted objects either way.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]