Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Belle Audition Help 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: The Light In the Piazza, Belle, Fly Fly Away
Main Role: Performer
Post Belle Audition Help
Hi! I already posted this us the " Auditions Auditions Auditions" forum but didn't really get the feedback I was hoping for.... So I figured I would post it again in the actual Beauty and the Beast and with a bit more info!

Hi everyone! I have an audition for Beauty and the Beast in early January. I'm striving for Belle, and have narrowed it down to two audition songs - "A New Life" from Jekyll and Hyde & "Far From the Home I Love" from Fiddler. Here is background info
Voice: Can be either mezzo-soprano or soprano...I have a 4 octave range, from F#3 to G7
             I've never been really cast in soprano parts however...mainly belt

Company: The group is a childrens theater group ages 8-18...I've been with them since age 8 and have worked with this artistic team for quite a while, so they all know me

Past Roles : Stepmother in Cinderella, Dingo Dog in Just So, Velma Von Tussle in Hairspray, Nehebka in Aida, Lorraine and Miss Sandra in All Shook Up, Lily St. Regis in Annie, Elsa Schrader in Sound of Music
(As you can see, a lot of them are older parts..being in childrens theater, I usually look older than I am)

Knowing that I'm typically not seen as "princess", I've been trainging since July to shape my voice to that type...and I'm pretty sure I've succeded! I have worked on all of Belle's songs (especially "Home" since that's probably going to be the callback song)

Now for songs:
* The concern with the song is not getting a callback (the company knows everyone so for long that its a pretty generic group of who goes to callbacks), it's being pictured as Belle*
"A New Life" - same longing, can realate it, HOWEVER...its a more mature piece from a for mature show...the director does know this show and will know the back story...also, one thing I think that will kill me for Belle is being seen as Babette, which I have no interest to play because my heart is so much set on Belle. I'm afraid that with this piece I would seen as older
"Far From the Home I Love" - very relatable, younger, no chance of being seen as a Babette, HOWEVER I don't know if it's vocally as strong as A New Life...

I do plan on attempting everything I can to look younger at the audition!!

COMPETITION: I have figured out who I'll be against...mainly these two girls...one played Ariel in our Little Mermaid and Grace in Annie....has THE MOST AMAZING VOICE but CANNOT ACT. Long black hair...I actually think she'll get Babette (or hope! she looks the part)....the other girl played our Cinderella...was one of her first leads...has a very vibratooey voice...known for singing high....NOT a strong actor (was really obvious in the show)
That being said, I think my edge will be with the acting, since I've played stronger roles and Belle requires much stronger acting. Also, compared to the two, I look the most like a "Belle". (But how much do looks matter?)
Another help is that the director knows my aspirations in theater and i'm *hoping* he'll see that this role could change how I will be percieved not only in future casting and shows, but by directors as well.

I think that's it! I really appreciate everyone's feedback and advice :)

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by doing so, some people have entertained angels without knowing it"
- Hebrews 13:2

Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]