The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
"Something There" vs "Human Again" 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post "Something There" vs "Human Again"
I just discovered that when it was decided to cut "Human Again" from the 1991 film, "Something There" was written to replace it. But now that we're so accustomed to the stage version having both songs, is there one song for that moment in the show that you prefer over the other? Even though my dislike for HA is well-known, I feel that it serves more of a purpose and drives the story more than ST and also provides Act II with a true show-stopper (which were rare instances in that act).

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:23 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: "Something There" vs "Human Again"
Bump

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:35 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I like both songs, but "Something There" is more inescapably a part of BATB in my mind than "Human Again" is. Probably because "Human Again" wasn't originally in the movie, and I'm part of the generation who not only grew up with the movie, but saw it when it was first released in theaters and had seen it plenty of times before the musical ever existed. :D

Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:20 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Les Miserables
Main Role: Performer
I think "Something There" is more important because it is really just Belle and the Beast relationship developing and I think people hold it a little closer to their hearts. I love "Human Again" but for me there is no real contest, "Something There" is simply more important.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:14 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
"Something There" has been my favorite song and scene in the movie since forever. when I was in the show and learned Human Again, it was my least favorite song in the show. It goes on FOREVER. And unless you have a huge stage and talented dancers, there's not a lot you can do with the song. And oh, gawd, the high note at the end that goes on forever and ever.... ](*,) I do like the counter-melody that the sopranos have during the last round of the chorus though. (the "ah"s). It does give the musical a better showcase of Belle and the Beast's developing friendship with the whole reading the book thing, which they only very briefly allude to in the movie.
A decent addition to the stage show, not necessary in the movie.
also, I'm a huge sucker for the sleigh bells in Something There in the movie score. :) They get me every time.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Something There is one of the most effective Musical Theatre songs I have ever heard. It brings a wonderful sense of the anticipation when you know that there is Something There between friends, and it makes it so much better knowing that all of the servants not only wants them to be happy together, but also needs it.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]