The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Networks Disney's Beauty and the Beast= BAD U agree? 

Do you think that NetWorks production of Disney's Beauty and the Beast is a quality production?
YES! It's fantastic! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
It's good. 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Could be better 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
NO. IT'S HORRIBLE! 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

Networks Disney's Beauty and the Beast= BAD U agree? 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Current Obsession: Newsies The Musical, Pilgrim
Main Role: Fan
Post Networks Disney's Beauty and the Beast= BAD U agree?
What do you think of the Network's Production of Beauty and the Beast? I absolutely abhor it from what I have seen from the preview videos. Liz Shiviner (Belle) has NO stage presence whatsoever, and Justin Glazer does a mediocre job portraying the Beast. He does have a good voice, it's just he lacks the emotional range that the Beast should have. What do you think about it?

[Edit] It has come to my attention that it isn't good form to judge a show based wholly on a promotional video. So I thought I would add that I have also read some reviews of the show, which have mostly been negative, from people who have gone to see this production. You would think I would know this by now. xD I will just blame it on the blind rage I was in upon hearing that the show was being done here in Atlanta, GA at the Fox Theatre.

Last edited by superwickedfan33 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:23 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Networks Disney's Beauty and the Beast= BAD U agree?
You're judging a live performance of a stage show on publicity clips? Are you 10 years old?

Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:27 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Current Obsession: Newsies The Musical, Pilgrim
Main Role: Fan
Ok NOT just on publicity clips. I know some people who have gone to see the show and they did not enjoy it. Plus I have read some reviews from people who have seen the show. The majority of them have been negative also. And to answer your question, no I am not. :)

Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:57 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Billy Bigelow
Main Role: Director
Having seen this production, I said that it could be better, but that's being a bit positive. I saw it in Paducah, KY, near the beginning of the run, and it really wasn't very good (at that point, anyway. It might have gotten better by now).

So, some positives. The supporting cast, as a whole, was really good (Lumiere, Cogsworth, and Gaston were all notably excellent). The orchestra sounded lovely and was quite large as tour pits go. The set had some really beautiful aspects - the pop-up-book feel of the village, for example, worked quite well - but often fell short of the grandeur BatB needs, particularly with the castle. The costumes were lovely, with one exception.

And the negatives. First off, no offense to the girl, I'm happy she's living her dream and all, but I couldn't get into Liz Shivener. Her Belle was fairly well-acted, for the most part - I questioned a few character choices, but then, I usually do. But her voice. Gah, she didn't know what to do with it, it seemed. She belted during "A Change in Me"...too much...and belted everywhere else too much, too. I'm sorry, but Belle is NOT supposed to sound like Ethel Merman. Ever. (In her defense, my boyfriend, who is as big of a theatre critic as me, went with me to see this show, and he didn't have a problem with her. So maybe it's just me.)

Second, we had an understudy for the Beast, and I really don't think he was quite prepared for the role. It might have been the first time he went on or something, but the guy just seemed awkward. Plus, every time he "roared" with the nice little sound effect, his "roar face" started about three seconds before the actual sound EVERY TIME. (This really isn't his fault, but still, it was just annoying.)

Which leads me to the sound effects. THERE WERE TOO MANY. All the time. If anything happened, there was a sound effect - LeFou was sitting there popping his fingers, and there were nice, far-too-loud popping sounds that were awful. Overall, the obsession with "let's try to fit twelve sound effects into each scene!" really detracted from the show.

And there was Mrs. Potts. She was really bad. First off, she didn't LOOK anything like Mrs. Potts - where Potts is traditionally a more robust, maternal woman, this lady is really skinny and non-maternal. And her accent wasn't the charming British propriety accent one expects - it was a brassy, abrasive cockney accent that just didn't work. And there was her costume, which was essentially a mini-skirt teapot with hot pink go-go boots. No no no.

Then there were just some weird cuts to the show. The first was "No Matter What" - this song is gone. In its place is some sweet dialogue between Belle and Maurice. If I hadn't finished music directing a production of the show about a week before I saw this, I probably wouldn't have even noticed until later. It flowed quite nicely. In Act II, however, they cut "Maison Des Lunes." I mean, I would not have been heartbroken by this. It's a fun little number, but it's not my favorite. Like with the "No Matter What" slot, they added some dialogue in that scene in its place - but this time, the dialogue was AWFUL. It was confusing and pointless and didn't take care of the dramatic function that song effectively takes care of. It really, really seems like the stage manager told the actors right before they went onstage, "Oh my god, the ENTIRE ORCHESTRA lost the sheet music to 'Maison Des Lunes.' Just go make something up, it'll be fine!" That bad.

Overall, I'd give it about a C-.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:43 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Main Role: Performer
I saw it in Chicago last summer, and I actually thought it was alright. Could have been better, but still a fun performance. Liz Shivener didn't belt as much as the above poster said she did, so maybe she had worked out some kinks by the time I saw her. The little boy who played Chip was just adorable, I must say. And the supporting cast was just great. Lumiere, Cogsworth, and Gaston, as previously mentioned, were fantastic. I wasn't too fond of the cutting of No Matter What and Maison des Lunes, but the dialogue replacing them flowed pretty nicely, I thought. Overall, not absolutely incredible, but it wasn't absolutely horrible. And I'm a total sucker for giant production numbers, and there were plenty. :D

Dance Team
Current:
Asst. Choreographer, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Jr., Dance Team
Past:
Dancer/Cheongsam Salesperson-Mulan Jr.
Arvide-Guys & Dolls Jr.
Marie Antoinette-Of Mice and Mozart
Marcia-Disco Knights

Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]