The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Begging for Audition Advice 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Main Role: Performer
Post Begging for Audition Advice
Hey guys! I'm really new around here. This board looks so amazing. I'm Erin and I'm 20, and I've just found out that the theatre company I've been with for ages is doing Beauty and the Beast in 2011. I definitely know I would like the role of Belle, but I'm wondering about my song choice. I'm considering "Moonfall" from The Mystery of Edwin Drood, but I'm wondering if it shows the right range for Belle. Also, I'm looking for an up tempo song as well. My range is E below middle C, up to C 2 octaves above middle C. Also, I'm wondering what I should wear to the audition. I usually just wear performance blacks, but I think I need to stand out if I want Belle, but I'm not as thin as I'd like to be... I'm thinking a floral dress with just some nice flats, so it's easy enough to move around.
Anyways, any help would be lovely! Thanks guys!! :D

2005 - Wind in the Willows - Otter
2007 - Singing in the Rain - Chorus
2009 - The Mikado - Pooh Bah

Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:08 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
Post Re: Begging for Audition Advice
I wasn't familiar with that song Moonfall, but listening to it, I don't think it's the best choice for Belle. It's a little too ... sedate?
I know if you poke around this thread there are many song suggestions. One I've always thought would be good for Belle is "Just Around the Riverbend" from Pocahontas. Similar range, similar feel.
If you look at the stickied "voice ranges" thread there is a lot of good info there too.
Belle needs to be strongest in her upper-mid range- like F4 to D5. Yes, they wrote in that one ridiculously low note in A change in Me, but most people fudge it or sing it an octave up anyways. She does have higher notes that are more important, the Ds, Es and even a few higher Fs. You should have audition songs that are spirited, that can show off a few belt-y notes withouth being belted throughout, with LOTS of range, as much as possible, but with the strongest being in the D4-D5 range.
clothes- something young and feminine, without being a halloween costume. ;)
Maybe wear your hair half pulled back, perhaps even wear something blue.
Belle doesn't usually have to DANCE dance, but should be able to move well. Depending on who they cast they may give her a bit to do in "Be Our Guest" as well as the ballroom scene.
PM me if you have any specific questions.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]