The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
what's your opinion on double casting? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post what's your opinion on double casting?
I was just double cast as Belle in 'Beauty and the Beast' and since I've never been double-cast in a show before, I wanted some advice.

Any tips? :) Thanks!

Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:48 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Performer
Post Re: what's your opinion on double casting?
Hi and welcome to MdN! Congrats on getting cast as Belle, it's an amazing part. I've been double cast many times and here's my view, it takes off some of the pressure (eg. having someone else that knows the part in case you don't remember direction or something, no need for an understudy etc.), it's really fun and you can get ideas from each other and help each other if one person's more experienced. The downside is your off-night might be a bit boring compared but it's a chance to have fun in the chorus, and you may not get as much rehearsal as you would like as the other Belle will need just as much practise. Being double cast is also good if for whatever reason you need to miss a rehearsal because your double can step in.
Hope this helped a bit :)

Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:11 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

The two most important things when you are double cast are connections and timing. You need to make sure you know the right people who can do the job and not get caught, and can't be connected back to you. A friend of a friend who knows a guy is usually best. Then you need to time the job so that it's far enough out that you get enough rehearsal time by yourself, but not so far out that she may recover early and still go on.

PM me if you need more information. I've said too much publicly already.

:D

[Mod edit -Please be nice to the newbies. Most folks around here are willing to be helpful]

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:15 pm

Main Role: Fan
I have seen double casting of Belle locally at high school shows. It was interesting to watch because both girls were very talented, but approached the roles differently. It must have also been a challenge for the rest of the cast.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:26 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: A Very Potter Musical, Beauty and the Beast
Main Role: Performer
The middle school in my district has always double cast, so the last three productions (I'm in high school now, freshmannn \:D/ ) I've been in I have shared my parts. The way we did it at our school was that you played your role in 2 of the 4 shows and the other 2 you were either chorus or a dancer. Also, we weren't told which shows we would be performing in until about 2 months after we were cast, so that the directors got to see whom we worked well with and whom we didn't. This year, the school is doing Beauty and the Beast and I'm student directing for my graduation project. I have yet to see whether they're actually going to double cast it this year, due to the fact that there are only 2 eighth grade boys and one is possibly not participating this year, but here's my opinion on advantages and disadvantages to double casting:

Advantages:
~You have a "built-in" understudy, so if for some reason you literally do break your leg, there's someone there who you know can do the role (hopefully well) and will know it as well as you do.
~Obviously, there's more kids who get cast, so you get the opportunity to mix with more people :) that's pretty much the selling point in our school, so...
~It's a lot easier on your voice only having to sing a heavy role in one half of the rehearsals, there's less of a chance your voice will get worn out. the other middle school in our district does not double cast, and by their last show, all the leads have very tired sounding voices
~If you need any help on how to sing a section or how to act a scene, your double probably has some suggestions on how they're doing it

Disadvantages:
~Not sure how you guys are doing it, but we weren't put in our "casts" until about two months before we opened. So even after we secured the role we wanted, often time we had to worry about getting with the people we wanted in our cast, and often times we didn't because of height reasons/physical reasons as opposed to chemistry. For example, last year we did Once Upon a Mattress and I was Lady Larken. Though I always did the scenes with my friend playing Sir Harry and everyone said our chemistry was really good, I was cast with the other guy because my friend was around my height, the other guy was taller, and the other Larken was very small.
~Disagreements always seem to break out between casts/doubles because of "who's better". By the end of the show's run, I've known more than a few pairs of characters who went from being very good friends to agitated with each other because one person is very bossy, copying the other person, etc. That's never happened to me, but it happened a lot last year.
~Depending on when you perform, your audience amount may vary. I know from experience that a lot of friends tended to come to our Friday and Sat. night shows, but not so much the afternoon ones.

I tended to not like double casting because of my own personal experiences, but there's some really good advantages, and most of the disadvantages are really just social ones that seem like a big deal at the time, but really aren't in the grand scheme of things. Don't get me wrong, they're strong disadvantages that can get annoying, but when it comes to the actual show, the advantages definitely outweigh the disadvantages in terms of value.
Congratulations on getting Belle! You'll have a lot of fun regardless of the double casting. Break a leg!

Currently: Beauty and the Beast: Student Director
Next: Phantom of the Opera: Ballerina

Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:06 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

scottinkc wrote:
[Mod edit -Please be nice to the newbies. Most folks around here are willing to be helpful]

WTF? It was a joke. The smiley at the end was the giveaway.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:54 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Haha don't worry scottinkc, I didn't think you were trying to persecute me...

Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:02 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Next to Normal, Patti Lupone, ALICE RIPLEY!!!!!
Main Role: Director
Double casting is a living hell! My school double casts every musical they do. Not only is it just obnoxious, but it causes tensions between the different casts. And its always obvious that one cast is superior. For example, when my school did "Beauty and the Beast" one Belle was a superior actress and had an incredible voice, where was the other Belle sounded like a 10 year old and acted like some god awfull actress in some C movie!

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]