The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Good show for chorus? 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Good show for chorus?
My local theatre company is putting on BatB and I'm auditioning for the part of Belle next month. BatB was the first film I ever saw in the cinema and I've wanted to *be* Belle ever since!

However, the competition for the part is intense and, although I will give it my absolute best shot, I am realistic and realise I might not get it. Which leads to my question - is BatB a fun show to be in the chorus? I can't imagine there are many songs that involve the chorus - is it just Belle and the Mob Song?

Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:53 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Main Role: Performer
Are you kidding me? BatB is a great chorus show! Bear in mind that the townsfolk usually double as the enchanted objects in the castle numbers! Therefore, you might be in...

Belle
Be Our Guest
Gaston
Human Again
Maison des Lunes
Mob Song
Finale (Beauty and the Beast)

Go for it! Everyone loves a good Disney show.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:45 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Thanks, it does sound fun :-)

Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:10 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
I agree. I did the ensemble of this show back in 2006 and had an absolute blast. Depending on the choreography, you can really be put through your paces. Plus, you'll be part of a story that means a lot to so many people. You've shared already what the show means to yourself.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

The ensemble do quite a lot. In my show, the chorus were in all the songs listed by SomeoneLikeYou, except for Maison des Lunes. It's a lot of fun and there's quite a bit of dancing especially in Be Our Guest and Gaston. If you're a dancer, you may also be in the two wolf chase scenes. Also, have you thought about auditioning for more than one role? Trying out for something else as well as Belle, like a Silly Girl or something will give you more chance.

Good luck! :D

Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:13 pm

Current Obsession: Shaw
The ensemble do quite a lot. In my show, the chorus were in all the songs listed by SomeoneLikeYou, except for Maison des Lunes.

That's probably a good thing, considering the ensemble isn't supposed to be in that song. I can't imagine how a director could possibly work them into it. I guess you could set the asylum as the background with the inmates actually seen onstage, but what would they be doing, sitting in straitjackets as Monsieur D'Arque, Gaston, and Lefou sang their song? If your goal is to involve the ensemble more it seems rather silly to give them an entire costume for just one scene where they are not the focal point. If the show is written that way it makes sense, but if you're setting out to involve them more it's almost a slap in the face. Plus, there is very little artistry behind it whatsoever. You could be risky and have them insanely recreate a wedding during the final lyrics of the song ("So book the church, raise glasses high..."), but as a director I would feel as if I was betraying the actor playing D'Arque. This is his scene to shine and if played well by him it can be a very memorable one.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:39 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]