Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
My new theory about Disney's 1991 "Beauty and the Beast 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: N2N, Hair,
Main Role: Performer
teapot wrote:
I cannot believe that ANYONE bothers to post discussions on Duchess's analysis of any work. They are always completely without merit, and lacking in any critical insight, and really don't deserve the thought and time you invest in trying to point out the inanities in the thesis. The rest of you actually look at the film and apply the plot and technique to your conclusions; Duchess never lets facts stand in the way of opinion. But, I suppose some of you are amused...

I've been finding lately that even though the Duchess starts inane topics, people do respond to them, and when I see where they're thinking is wrong, I feel I have to give input to save them from themselves, and the next thing I know I've been sucked into another Duchess thread. I'm sure I'm not the only one this happens to (though I may be the only one to admit that I keep allowing myself to get involved accidentally).

Well you at least got one new person to stop replying to her topics. (Or at least attempting to. BATB was my LIFE when I was little so I'm trying to hold back on this one.)

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:48 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post I'll explain myself...
Dear Musicals.Net Posters,

I'm not saying that Belle is not perceived as being imperfect by the people from her hometown. I'm saying that the movie itself treats her as though she can do no wrong.

In other words, while the Beast is ALWAYS awkward, Belle is ALWAYS graceful, as though two X chromosomes automatically equal grace, while an X and a Y automatically equal awkwardness. That's sexist, and there's no denying that fact.

So, Belle's NOT 100% perfect, but SHE is NEVER called on HER rudeness, etc. (The movie treats her as though she's always justified in being rude), while the BEAST is ALWAYS called on HIS rudeness.

Want some examples? Belle pretends to be polite towards Gaston when he arrives to propose to her, but then she just rudely chucks his boots out the door, and the movie pretends as though her rudeness is polite.

Belle is rude towards the Beast when she's refusing to have dinner with him (That's BEFORE he threatens to break the door down, too.), but the movie just assumes that she's 100% right to do that...

At the same time, the movie treats Gaston's rudeness as true rudeness (Ie: He is punished, by the movie, for his rude proposal, by being thrown into the mud, and we're supposed to believe that he deserved that...which he probably did...).

When the Beast becomes enraged by Belle's refusal to have dinner with him, his rude and intolerant behavior is punished, because he never does get to have dinner with Belle until the night of the dance.

In other words, Disney has basically said that when a woman is rude, it's cute, or at least acceptable, while a man's rudeness is unacceptable simply because he's male (Ie: "When a woman hits a man, there must be a reason for it, but if the man hits back, even in self-defense, THAT'S WRONG." THAT kind of attitude breeds man-bashers, while treating women as anything but the equals of men...Talk about a double-edged sword that's sexist towards both men AND women...

If you don't believe me, just google..."Lizzie Borden"...For YEARS, people have wanted to ignore every bad act that women have been just as capable of as men...by using horse pucky excuses like..."but she's a MOTHER! She COULDN'T have done such a thing!"

I am SO sick of the perpetual "We need to educate MEN about domestic violence!" and "We have to teach our boys to respect girls!" messages. We SHOULD be saying "We need to educate PEOPLE about domestic violence, because ANYBODY could be an abuser!", and "We need to teach our CHILDREN to respect each other."

If you don't believe me, turn on the t.v., and watch such ads as that "catching fish in a barrel" ad, which featured that overly-encouraged, boy-teasing little hussy...of about 10...

What do you think that Anastasia's slapping of Dimitri was, but media-justified man-bashing? If SHE'D lied to HIM, and HE'D slapped HER, parents would've rioted! THAT would've been violence against women, while her slapping of him would've been the latest craze, or at least justified. Why?

I can't believe that there are people who wonder why women like me feel as though WE should bash men, too...It's the current national craze, brought to you by the same people who were once led by people who believed that ALL people were created equally...hmmm...

When I was a kid, I saw a woman hit a man on t.v., and I immediately went to the kitchen and slapped my father across the face. When I got in trouble, I said "Well, the lady on t.v. did it..." Believe it or not, kids WILL emulate what they are fed by the media...

Anyway, at the SAME time, Disney IS finding a reason to keep the domestic violence factor intact. Belle is threatened by the Beast's terrible behavior, so she leaves. She's attacked by wolves. The Beast, who is KNOWN to have a terrible, and violent, temper, rescues her, so she AUTOMATICALLY thanks him, and stays.

Belle's actions beg the question: "Are you just stupid, or are you actually WAITING for his temper to unleash itself on you again, when you least expect it?" Since Belle more than likely didn't grow up around domestic violence, she MUST have an ulterior motive for staying with someone who has been known to frighten her. If she'd been beaten by Maurice on a regular basis, I might say, "She is a well-practiced abuse victim, and she's showing the evidence of being such...", but seeing as how Maurice was a good father...

Belle DOES have a choice. She can borrow a weapon from the castle, jump onto Phillipe, and make a run for home.

I'm not saying that it's not possible for a woman to convince a man to change. I'm only saying that Disney tries to convince us that that's the only REASONABLE choice for a mistreated woman to make...while at the same time trying to make Belle seem as though she's perfectly justified in taking it upon herself to create a good rendition of Prince Adam.

I sometimes wonder why I think that anybody should understand anything anymore. After all, today's people justify unprotected sex with abortion, female criminals with motherhood, and irresponsibility with hormones. With THOSE kinds of justifications becoming the norm, no WONDER so many big corporations are receiving extra money...

Thanks in advance for your replies.
:idea:

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:28 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Fan
I think sometimes you have to take a Disney movie for what it is: A Disney movie. No political undertones of domestic violence or female superiority or anything. Just, a Disney movie. Made for the enjoyment of children of all ages. (And money.)

http://bestpicturenoms.wordpress.com/

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:02 am
Profile WWW

Main Role: Fan
I think sometimes you have to take a Disney movie for what it is: A Disney movie. No political undertones of domestic violence or female superiority or anything. Just, a Disney movie. Made for the enjoyment of children of all ages. (And money.)

http://bestpicturenoms.wordpress.com/

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:02 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Grease
Main Role: Performer

So true. =D>

GREASE - Frenchy
MOON OVER BUFFALO- Understudy Roz, Ethel, Eileen / Assistant Stage Manager
HOW TO SUCEED IN BUISNESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING- Scrubwoman 1 / Sec 1

Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:54 am

Post Re: I'll explain myself...
The Duchess of Mint wrote:
Want some examples? Belle pretends to be polite towards Gaston when he arrives to propose to her, but then she just rudely chucks his boots out the door, and the movie pretends as though her rudeness is polite.
Maybe that's because Gaston is a narcissistic creep?

Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2