The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
My new theory about Disney's 1991 "Beauty and the Beast 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post My new theory about Disney's 1991 "Beauty and the Beast
Dear Musicals.Net Posters,

NOTE: SPOILER WARNING FOR THE DISNEY MOVIE "BEAUTY AND THE BEAST"!

NOTE TO THE MODS: This message has been certified by the ghost of Senator McCarthy to be morally decent, with regards to erotic content! :wink:

Some people believe that Belle, from "Beauty and the Beast" is a snob, and some believe that she's a willing victim of domestic violence, and I can prove that she's BOTH...because she's REALLY a control freak!

When the movie begins, Belle is tortured by the idea that nobody from her small town understands her, or behaves as though they'd like to challenge their minds. Belle is frustrated by the fact that she can't control her image within her small town...

We all know that Gaston is sort of a jerk, but Belle won't even just sit down and talk to him, in order to find out exactly what kind of a jerk he is; she WILL, however, put up with flack from the Beast later, although you might wonder why...I'll discuss that later...

Well, anyway, Belle has to go to the castle in order to find her father, and when she arrives, she bravely agrees to take her father's place as the Beast's prisoner; her father is left, uncared-for, at home, but Belle didn't really have a choice, with regards to THAT matter.

Anyway, Belle takes verbal and emotional abuse from the Beast, and she runs away from him, only to be rescued by him during the ensuing wolf attack. If she was NOT a victim, but she had wanted to have been kind, she would've taken the Beast back home, bandaged his wounds BEFORE he regained consciousness, and gone back to HER home, leaving him with a note (Ie: "Thank you for saving my life. I cannot stay, because of your temper. If you ever mend your ways, you can send a servant, or a message, to me, and I might return...").

You may think that Belle returns to the castle simply because she is a victim, but I don't think that this is the case. I think that she's a victim with a purpose. Since she's really a control freak, she's thinking that even though she's lost the battle, she can win the war, and have control over the Beast's little world.

She gets her control, because she becomes the Beast's nurse, teacher, sweetheart, and savior.

I don't like the fact that "Beauty and the Beast" is also a dualistically sexist movie. Belle becomes the classic man-bashing character by being perfect, and by doing almost EVERYTHING better than the Beast does it. The movie assumes that Belle is perfect, and that she's right, even when she's wrong, or rude, or whatever. Do YOU know anybody who's as perfect as Belle?

Of course, the movie is also sexist due to the fact that it assumes that women have to be so perfect.

I think that Prince Adam's parents died when he was very young, and that by the time the Enchantress arrived at the castle (Prince Adam was about 11), Prince Adam had been running the show in an irresponsible way for years, because he'd literally never LEARNED the goodness that Belle eventually imbibed him with.

"Why is THAT bad?", you might ask? Well, that's bad because someday, Prince Adam will wake up, and he'll realize that his sense of goodness was created, and is OWNED, by Belle! He barely did anything in order to better himself; he was Pygmalianed by Belle! He's eventually gonna resent her...

Belle has won; she has total control over Prince Adam, and the servants all love her. She is princess; she is perfect. For all of that, she hasn't really done anything in order to better herself. She's put her entire focus on the Beast.

Feel free to reply with an agreement, a disagreement, ideas, etc. I'm curious to know what you think of my idea.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
:idea:

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:52 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Performer
Post Re: My new theory about Disney's 1991 "Beauty and the B
I have to say I disagree with you. I never saw this movie (or musical) in this way. Even playing Belle I don't think she's a control freak. If she was she'd have chased the dreams she had in the beginning and not stayed with the Beast.

The Duchess of Mint wrote:
We all know that Gaston is sort of a jerk, but Belle won't even just sit down and talk to him, in order to find out exactly what kind of a jerk he is; she WILL, however, put up with flack from the Beast later, although you might wonder why...I'll discuss that later...

She is likely to have known Gaston for some time and has talked to him before. The Beast however is a stranger she's just met and is determined to get through to him.

Well, anyway, Belle has to go to the castle in order to find her father, and when she arrives, she bravely agrees to take her father's place as the Beast's prisoner; her father is left, uncared-for, at home, but Belle didn't really have a choice, with regards to THAT matter.

Of course she'd rather her father be at home than die alone in the Beast's dungoen.

Anyway, Belle takes verbal and emotional abuse from the Beast, and she runs away from him, only to be rescued by him during the ensuing wolf attack. If she was NOT a victim, but she had wanted to have been kind, she would've taken the Beast back home, bandaged his wounds BEFORE he regained consciousness, and gone back to HER home, leaving him with a note (Ie: "Thank you for saving my life. I cannot stay, because of your temper. If you ever mend your ways, you can send a servant, or a message, to me, and I might return...").

Well, she obviously changed her mind when he proved he cares for her. She clearly wanted to stay with him and help him.

Do YOU know anybody who's as perfect as Belle?

Well, just about every Disney character EVER created.

Of course, the movie is also sexist due to the fact that it assumes that women have to be so perfect.

Well, it's Disney. AND it's not modern day. But the people in her town don't even think she's perfect. Back then, it was uncommon for women to love reading and education. They think she's strange, not perfect. Beautiful yes, perfect, no.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:41 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto

I've so bombarded with the whole BATB-promotes-domestic-violence BS at school. No one seems to get that Belle only came back because the Beast proved he cared by saving her life. She forgave him and he changed his ways. If he hadn't done show, she would've left right away.

Either Way, people put waaaay too much stock in Dsiney's influence. No one's going to think about a movie they saw when they were 5 when looking to solve personal conflicts. And anyway, blame the frickin' fairytale source material, not Disney. They didn't write the stories. Cut them a little slack...sheesh XP

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:23 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

If she was NOT a victim, but she had wanted to have been kind, she would've taken the Beast back home, bandaged his wounds BEFORE he regained consciousness

How the hell could she have bandaged his wounds before he regained consciousness? He blacked out right after the wolf fight. There wouldn't have been enough time.

Quote:

Belle is far from perfect. The writers in the film make it clear that she's quite nosy and invasive---she sneaks off into the Beast's private corridor in the West Wing just to have a look around, even when he told her not to. Talk about rude.

Quote:
Well, that's bad because someday, Prince Adam will wake up, and he'll realize that his sense of goodness was created, and is OWNED, by Belle! He barely did anything in order to better himself

Yes he did. He ultimately allowed himself to love Belle, which is why he broke the spell. That's pretty much the whole point of the story.

Watch the movie again. The enchantress didn't put a spell on him hoping that he'd become Pygmalioned. Remember? She said that he'd only be able to switch back if he could "learn to love another and earn her love in return," not "have a sense of goodness owned by someone else."

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:11 am

~Masquerade Dancer~ wrote:
If she was she'd have chased the dreams she had in the beginning and not stayed with the Beast.

What dreams did she have at the beginning? She had a vague desire for something in her life to be different, but she never had a concrete dream. The writers of the movie have even pointed out that she's unlike the other Disney heroines in that her passions are very unfocused.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:39 am

Reminder: The Beast turning back into a human is not Belle's reward for putting up with his crap. It's his reward for becoming a good person.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:46 am

~Masquerade Dancer~ wrote:

Well, she obviously changed her mind when he proved he cares for her. She clearly wanted to stay with him and help him.
There's also that bit about "gee, it's a blizzard outside, and last time I tried to run I got attacked by wolves."

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:08 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I cannot believe that ANYONE bothers to post discussions on Duchess's analysis of any work. They are always completely without merit, and lacking in any critical insight, and really don't deserve the thought and time you invest in trying to point out the inanities in the thesis. The rest of you actually look at the film and apply the plot and technique to your conclusions; Duchess never lets facts stand in the way of opinion. But, I suppose some of you are amused...

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:18 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
I cannot believe that ANYONE bothers to post discussions on Duchess's analysis of any work. They are always completely without merit, and lacking in any critical insight, and really don't deserve the thought and time you invest in trying to point out the inanities in the thesis. The rest of you actually look at the film and apply the plot and technique to your conclusions; Duchess never lets facts stand in the way of opinion. But, I suppose some of you are amused...

AMEN TO THAT SISTER!

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:48 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Also, is Beast's canon name really Prince Adam? Funny, I never heard that.

Very tightly, very soon.
So wave one bachelor goodbye,
She'll be your bride- she'd rather die
Than have her daddy ossify
In my sordid saloon..."

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:43 pm
Profile WWW

I've been finding lately that even though the Duchess starts inane topics, people do respond to them, and when I see where they're thinking is wrong, I feel I have to give input to save them from themselves, and the next thing I know I've been sucked into another Duchess thread. I'm sure I'm not the only one this happens to (though I may be the only one to admit that I keep allowing myself to get involved accidentally).

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:46 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Legally Blonde
The entire town sings a song about how weird Belle is and yet you're describing her as "perfect"

umm?
Contradiction? I think so.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next