Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
The Transformation In The OBP 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Current Obsession: Newsies The Musical, Pilgrim
Main Role: Fan
Post The Transformation In The OBP
I have been asked by someone on YouTube how the transformation of the Beast was accomplished. The obvious part of it is that they use a wire system to get the actor up into the air, but how do they get all the prosthetic, wig, and makeup off? I told them that it is possible that they had a stage hand standing in the set level to the beast that helped remove all the "Beast" prosthetic and makeup and wig, or that the actor might do it themselves and toss the pieces onto the set. Does anyone know anything about it, or know of some good places to look for info. on this?

Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:01 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

dead easy! After If I Can't Love Her (reprise) the Beast exits and I think this is the way they did it on broadway. A double fights Gaston leaving enough time for a mask to replace the prosthetics. Then when hes dying and flies whilst he's turning he removes the mask and when he goes into that somersault he lobs the mask into the wings. Et voila!

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:51 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Main Role: Performer
I'm actually more interested in how community theatres or other non-professional venues pull off the transformation.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:50 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

In our community group the (amazing) set designer's (/Maurice) daughter decided to make a window for every night. Gaston would fall through and break the window and then we had a separate person who played the transformed prince, there would be a black out and fog so people (supposedly) couldn't see anything and the beast would spin and the prince would climb through the broken window and take his place. Then the lights would entirely rise again and we'd go on with the show.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:48 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Legally Blonde
In mine we had a double switch off as we came down the staircase and had the Beast record his line "At least I got to see you one last time" We would just play it before the Home Reprise.
We placed a genie (one of those things that lift you to fix lights. i wasnt gonna say what it was but I could picture someone replying to this saying, A GENIE WHATT??) underneath the stage and the beast was laying "injured" on it. So during the music change there was fog and light cues galore distracting the audience so that the real beast came from behind a set piece next to the genie and switched. The genie was then lifted and the beast got up and tada. Changed.

Really cool when you were watching. Really obvious once you knew.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:26 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

We fitted a fog machine up where the Beast fell dead and started it up, pumping fog everywhere. Then, added a flashing red light in the middle of the dense part of the fog, added music and a mostly dark stage.

Meanwhile, a techie was ripping of the hair and wig, pulling hands off, etc. and volia', a prince!

Thu May 06, 2010 2:07 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-EvE0SD ... re=related

This the transformation sequence from a regional/community theatre (don't know which, I think regional because it looks like a lot of money went into it production in New Zealand. They used a hydraulic platform that the Beast lay on with strobelights and a fog machine to add the levitation effect...

Thu May 06, 2010 2:55 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: N2N, Hair,
^^^ Ohmygoodness that was amazing for regional theatre!

Thu May 06, 2010 4:29 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Current Obsession: Newsies The Musical, Pilgrim
Main Role: Fan
I was actually just asking about the Original Broadway production, but it is great to hear how all of you have done it in other productions. This sequence is definitely one that has to work well, or otherwise it could really put a downer on the production value of the show. I personally have yet to see a sucky transformation sequence.

Fri May 07, 2010 9:16 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I personally have yet to see a sucky transformation sequence.

Picture this then: a Beast and Gaston swinging fists at least six inches away from the other, one of them knocks the strobe light off stage and Gaston drops dead from being stabbed with a fake knife. Techies bring out a black sheet in the dark and shake it in front of the beast (the strobe light was broken and would have otherwise been part of the Transformation). Then, the lights come up and there is a prince with his beast mask and hands on the floor forgotten for the rest of the show.

Wed May 12, 2010 1:40 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: The Transformation In The OBP
I'll give you a hint...

It's NOT wires. Stunt double is a must. And that regional version with hydraulics was on the right path.....

Can't say much else though...

Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]