The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
My idea for the Silly Girls 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post My idea for the Silly Girls
Hey everyone, this is my first post!

I'm directing our college production of BatB, and while casting I had an interesting idea that I'd like to hear your thoughts on.

So one girl comes in to audition. She's really good, but she's not Belle, y'know? So I instantly think that she could be one of the silly girls. But I forget to ask her if she would dye her hair (she's a red head). And I get an idea; I could not have three blondes, but three different hair-colours.

Then later on there are two more girls, one with brunette hair, one with blonde. But in addition, the brunette is taller than the first girl, and the blonde is shorter. So I've got three different hair colours and three different heights. Do people think this could work?

Also, I've decided to give them names: Suiveur (which is french for "follower"), Salope (french for "bitch") and Speedé (french for "hyper") What do you think?

Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:15 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

As a current silly girl in B&B, i think its great :D we also have 3 different hair colors in my production, but we are all wigged. and we all have names that start with 'S' (I'm Savannah, and my two 'sisters' are Sandra and Samantha)

The King and I- Royal wife
Pippin- Angel/Ensemble
Man of La Mancha- Ensemble

Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:11 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: My idea for the Silly Girls
I don't see why three different hair colours and heights wouldn't work just as well :)

mrlarry wrote:
Also, I've decided to give them names: Suiveur (which is french for "follower"), Salope (french for "bitch") and Speedé (french for "hyper") What do you think?

Plus I love this idea! It'll make each silly girl a more individual character, yet still obsessive over Gaston.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:20 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Yup thats a great idea!! we had one girl be the 'leader', all headstrong and stuff, another was 'loose', and the last one (me) was a baby sister, cute yet obsessive.

The King and I- Royal wife
Pippin- Angel/Ensemble
Man of La Mancha- Ensemble

Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:57 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Performer
Ours also have different coloured hair which works fine, although I'm not sure if they're going to have wigs. I think the talent is far more important than hair colour so I'm sure it will be fine.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:56 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
Sounds good to me too. I'd rather see good characterization in the silly girls than three bad but matching wigs.
;)

Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:32 pm

The last two productions of Beauty and the Beast I've seen (one high school, the other a professional regional production) had the Silly Girls in the three different hair colors-a redhead, a blonde, and a brunette. I thought it worked great.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:32 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I LOVE and applaud ( =D>) this idea. I got to see BATB On Tour at the Cadillac Palace (ahh-mazing, btw) and their Silly Girls included one medium-height brunette who looked Hispanic and two Caucasian blondes (one tall, one short).

I am currently auditioning to be a Silly Girl in my community theatre's production of BATB, so if you have any insight into this, let me know. :D

Also, love the idea of giving them names to flesh out personalities more.

Dance Team
Current:
Asst. Choreographer, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Jr., Dance Team
Past:
Dancer/Cheongsam Salesperson-Mulan Jr.
Arvide-Guys & Dolls Jr.
Marie Antoinette-Of Mice and Mozart
Marcia-Disco Knights

Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:11 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Funny enough, but that was what my production did! I was a Silly Girl myself. :D

1 was a blonde wearing a green dress and light pink corset and she was the overly dramatic one.
2 had black hair and wore a red dress with black corset and she was the devoted and obessive one.
I was the 3, with light brown hair, a blue dress (different color from Belle's though) with purple corset and was the baby of the group but trying to top them both and always running on last. (I also had a rather small chest and my two other sillies were rather gifted in that department, which worked since I played off as the baby)

I named us respectively Cosette, Josette and Lisette (simply because I liked how all the names ended with -sette, I didn't look into meanings!)

I think it would also be nice if the three girls didn't get together during the song Belle until Gaston came onstage-we came on together but got seperated in the crowd until he started singing, like we bonded over our adoration.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:54 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

When I was a silly we had the 3 different hair colors too. Ours ironically went I (Cat [3 letters]) wore red (3 letters), Maggie (6 letters) wore yellow (6 letters) and Missy (5 letters) wore green (5 letters) It was awesomely awesome. (that was slightly off topic but I thought it was amusing.)

Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:53 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]