The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Recently watch in Los Angeles 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Recently watch in Los Angeles
Hi,

I just watched BatB a few nights ago with my wife and 7 year old. My wife and I went the first time during its long run in LA as well.

This performance I noticed 3 major scenes that were missing.

1). The battle scene between the mob and the castle cursed residents. It cut straight from Gaston forming the mob and charging go the castle, then directly to Gaston finding the Beast in his lair for that battle between the two. i pretty much figure it was because the traveling stage show doesn't have a large enough ensemble to stage that scene.

2). The song Maison De Lune was removed. Admittedly, I had always that that song could be sacrificed. I did find it funny however, that the actor who played Monsieur D'arque had a decent billing during the curtain call even with only a handful of lines and no song.

3). This really perplexed me. They cut out "no matter what" sung between Belle and her father. I was in awe that it was cut out. It establishes her whole town identity that she finds herself odd and an outcast. This establishes the credibility between her talk to the Beast while reading Excalibur when they find out that they both are isolated from the "norm". I know Tom Bosley sung his part like no other. Did they just retire the song? It just seemed like to important of a song to the story to even consider omitting.

Any thoughts?

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]