The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Questions about staging in professional/official productions 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Questions about staging in professional/official productions
There's never been a professional (or to the best of my knowledge amateur) production in my town. I've got the CD of the original Australian cast where Hugh Jackman is Gaston (!!) and I've seen some Youtube videos and photographs so I've got a general idea of how the thing looks but there are two sequences I'm particularly curious about, if anybody who's seen a professional production can help me out.

The wolves-in-the-forest sequence, first with Belle's father being chased, and the the Beast saving Belle. Are the wolves done with puppets or the audience's imagination, or is it chorus members in wolf costumes running about?

The Beast's transformation into the Prince. I'm guessing the epic magical-transformation musical interlude is covering for some sort of snazzy special effect here.

I'm also tempted to ask about how the battle in the castle is staged, with the furniture vs the mob, but that seems like it could be very complicated.

I wish I could see this show. Thanks very much!

Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:00 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

In the UK Productions version, there was a gauze with a forest scene projected onto it and a forest set behind it and then actors dressed as wolves came on behind it and faught with the characters.

The tranformation was done really well, the Beast and Belle are inside the tower with the Beast crying into Belle, then as the music starts he rises up (on wires) and rotates 360 degrees and when he's still again, he's the Prince.

Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:11 am

If you would like to see clips from amateur productions, HERE is a clip of the battle scene, Gaston's death, and the transformation from a 2005 production I was in. :)

Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:12 am

I must say Luc, that looks marvellous for a youth amateur production.

Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:28 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

If you would like to see clips from amateur productions, HERE is a clip of the battle scene, Gaston's death, and the transformation from a 2005 production I was in. :)

That has to be one of the best amateur productions I've ever seen! Fabulous costumes.

Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:54 am

Yeah, I'm definitely really lucky. I've done 10 shows with them, and I've got one left before I 'graduate' from the company. It will probably be one of the hardest things in my life! But I've definitely grown a lot from it, so I can leave on a positive note for sure. :)

Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]