The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
i want to be Mrs Potts- HELPPPP 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post i want to be Mrs Potts- HELPPPP
OK so I'm a senior drama club officer and we're doing beauty and the beast (obviously) and i REALLY REALLY wanna be Mrs Potts. I'm definitely in the running for leads and i have some serious competition.
i need help with the PERFECT song to sing and how to get the accent down really well.
i really wanna "WOO" them with my audition =]
I'm an alto but i can sing some mezzo stuff.
i heard it a super fun part and i really really want it, so please help
thank you so much!!!

Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:56 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
How much time do you have to prepare? I was actually thinking a few weeks ago that "Perfectly Nice" from Jane Eyre would be a good song for Mrs. Potts, it has fast bits, slow bits, a wide range.
although, for such an iconic character and famous song, you might do well to ask the production team if they want you to sing the title song.

Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:46 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

well we've asked the directors that but the director doesn't want us to sing a song from the musical. i mean ive got pretty tough competition for this part so i'm gonna have to prepare everything. the perfect song, the accent and i'll have to cold read for her and such. i was thinking of the song the age of not believing because ive heard people have had luck with that song but idk which one might be better

Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:42 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:47 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Our HS is doing BatB this year and there was some Stiff competion for Mrs. Potts. For starters:

1) Learn the script http://www.musicorld.com/libretto/beaut ... etto1.html

2) For the callback, you need to rock the song. When it got really close between a couple girls, they girl with the most beautiful rendition won

3) Really work on physical characterizations

4) My best friend lost out on the role because they said she was "too nice." I'm not sure if your director sees the role the same, but maybe something to think about

5) The perfect outfit

6) As for a song, you want to show range and beauty

Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:17 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

For a song I'd recommend "Hold On" from 'The Secret Garden'. It's a similar kind of character - the maternal/kindly female servant who supports the lead character, and will show off acting skills as well as vocal.

Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:02 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

thank you everyone, i'll let you know what happens! fingers crossed!!!

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:07 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:26 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Performer
Good luck! I hope you get it, and don't worry about your competition. I was for the audition and when I started to just focus on myself I did a lot better and it paid off. :D

Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:23 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

ok so i got passed up for being mrs potts. i had the best audition but my drama club is all politics and who you are. i of course come in third and always get shafted. so the girl who got potts was very upset she got it bc she wanted belle. i was about to murderrr her!!!! ugh im so pissed off and all the casting was bull. i got the rug. im super pissed bc i did the best, and im not just saying that bc i didnt get it. i mean i had the accent the song and the acting. whatever im over it but you guys were the absolute best!!
does anyone know about the rug part like wtf. hah

Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:50 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Performer
Sorry I don't know what the Rug does but be proud of yourself for doing your best. Something similar has happened to me in a ballet and some things you just can't understand. I know what it's like to not get the part you want even though you have put in a HUGE amount of effort, it's really disappointing but just wait and see. You might blow them away with what you've been given and they'll keep that in mind for next time. :)

Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:03 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal
ok so i got passed up for being mrs potts. i had the best audition but my drama club is all politics and who you are. i of course come in third and always get shafted. so the girl who got potts was very upset she got it bc she wanted belle. i was about to murderrr her!!!! ugh im so pissed off and all the casting was bull. i got the rug. im super pissed bc i did the best, and im not just saying that bc i didnt get it. i mean i had the accent the song and the acting. whatever im over it but you guys were the absolute best!!
does anyone know about the rug part like wtf. hah

I'm sorry you didn't get Mrs. Potts.
All you can do now is make the best of being the rug. No matter what part you are in Beauty in the Beast, you'll definitely learn something and increase your threatre experience. Enjoy being a part of this show and cherish it.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next