The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
BatB Callbacks insight???? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post BatB Callbacks insight????
I just tried out for BatB and I got a callback to come today after school. (Its a high school production but its still a bit political). I'm pretty much obsessed with Beauty and the Beast and I have wanted to play Belle since I saw the movie when I was younger.
But I don't know if I'll get her because I heard someone say the one time they had a Black Belle it was horrible (on Broadway). But unlike Toni Braxton I don't have your typical Black voice. If you couldn't see me you couldn't tell I was Black. I have Belle's voice but I'm wondering how people feel about a Black girl playing Belle or if its even an issue at all?

Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:02 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Book of Mormon
Main Role: Performer
I think if you can sing and act the part, it shouldn't be an issue. Although, of course it depends on the director.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you? Because I just auditioned for Beauty and the Beast at a high school yesterday and callbacks are today too...

Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Try for it! In a high school I would imagine it would be discrimination to not let you have the part if you were better than the rest just because you weren't white, anyway. Plus, it seems like a pattern that on these boards that if you try out for Belle and don't get the part for seniority or whatever, then directors at least consider you for the Silly Girls or Babette, both fun roles, so I've heard.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:13 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Our Belle was very dark-skinned herself...she wasn't black, just really tanned but this is a fairly homogenous white school too.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]