The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
"Somewhere Over the Rainbow" a good pick for BatB? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" a good pick for BatB?
Long-time lurker, first time poster (recent-register to boot!) here, hoping this is allowed.

I know practically EVERYONE has asked this question, but any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

Auditions are next week, and I would really like Belle (like every other girl in my high school!). I'm a junior, and I've been practicing for quite a long time. I've read practically every thread in the BatB forum and auditions related to it. I've watched the movie an absurd amount of times (Disney addict, since I was born) XD

I've tried to mimic Belle's mannerisms (as I read most Disney Musical characters are supposed to be really similar to their film counterparts), but I'm just concerned that my song (Somewhere Over The Rainbow, Wizard of Oz) might not be a great choice?

My voice teacher, who is also the vocal director for the show, told me it would be perfect, but I'm just kind of paranoid it's a little bit young for Belle? It does have the "dreamer" quality to it, but I dunno. I should probably just agree with my teacher, yeah?

Any and all help about song, performance, and calming down techniques would be wonderful!

X-posted to auditions!

Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:27 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Main Role: Performer
Don't ever sing that song for an audition...the panel will inevitably compare you to Judy Garland, and it won't look very good.

I recommend another Disney song, but not one that's horribly overdone. Although that might be a bit difficult to find! lol

Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:35 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
I've always thought that "Just Around the Riverbend" from Pocahontas is the perfect Belle audition song- it has a wide range (low G to E) has fast and slow parts, and echoes Belle's sentiments to wanting more out of life. I would have sung that when I recently auditioned for the show but the MD said he preferred to hear songs from the show, so I sang "Home".

Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:16 pm

I'd say "yes" depending on the type of company you're auditioning for.

Are they the type who will murder you for belting out a Les Miz song? Or are they genuinly interested in wanting to hear your range and seeing your personality? If they are the later, I'd say yes.

If you can make the song your own, why not? But don't be a carbon copy of Judy G.

The song is a good audition piece cus of the whole octave jump thingy, dream like qualities, act through song stuff etc.

Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:37 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

@SomeoneLikeYou: I've looked at a few Disney songs, but I'm just concerned because I just learned we only get 16 bars. Yikes! Yet another thing to make me sehr nervos! :O

@Brigantine: I was cutting up "Just Around..." and I found I had trouble really picking a good 16 that really show the range well. I'd use from "I look once more..." onward, but it kind off lacks any low notes. I looked at "God Help the Outcasts" as well, which seems to be an easier fit for 16 measures, but it doesn't have the same feeling to it *.* Any thoughts? ps- Your username is lovely!

@Wicked_boy: The music director knows me and my voice very well, and the director is a big fan of older stuff (she wanted to do Brigadoon for our show this year, for instance). I feel like I MIGHT have to do it, given my music teacher may just decide it for me XD, so thanks for your encouragement! :)

Thanks everyone! 4 days until auditions! Unfortunately, my parents think I'm getting the flu T.T BUT NO MATTER! I've been learning this stuff for two months, I refuse to trip up now :) *chugs tea and honey*

Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:50 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I'm very excited, and also VERY scared! Oooh, goodness, it's tomorrow after school. Any tips on how to "wow' the panel? Generally, we learn music from the show, so I've been working on "Home" a

nd whatnot, but any tips from past/current/even future auditionees to make my Belle spot on would be fantastic! Thanks! :D

Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:39 pm

Don't be a carbon copy of the film Belle or any one who's played it on Broadway...

Wow the panel by just being yourself, remember a smile goes a long way.

Make the song your own, think about the meaning behind it and what it means to you.

Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:47 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I am thrilled, and rehearsals start tomorrow, very scary but exciting!

Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:56 pm

Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:04 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Cats, A Chorus line, Tarzan
Main Role: Performer
Congratulations! :D What did you end up singing?

Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]