Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
The BEAUTY AND THE BEAST Poll 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: The BEAUTY AND THE BEAST Poll
1. What do you like about this show? Or, if you're not a fan, what makes it unmemorable for you?

I like this show because it has a lot of heart and tender emotion behind it. It also features a very nice bass/baritone (moreso the latter) role if I do say so myself!
2. Pick your favourite song in the show and tell us why it's your favourite.

"If I Can't Love Her". The Beast is my favorite character and he definitely needed a song given to him in the transition to the stage. I must say he got a very good one. The song gave me pure chills seeing our Beast perform it from backstage (and Terrence Mann's performance on the OBCR isn't bad either).
3. What is your favourite lyric?

"Lefou, I'm afraid I've been thinking."
"A dangerous pastime!"
"I know."

:lol:
4. Got a number you just can't stand? Tell us why.

I can stand all the songs, but the one I care for the least is "Home". To me it just doesn't fit Belle's character at all, nor the situation she's in at the point it's sung in the show.
5. Who's your favorite character?

The Beast.
6. Who is your favourite Beauty and the Beast-related performer?

Terrence Mann. He's good friends with my Drama teacher. Plus, he teaches at Western Carolina University (an in-state school).
7. Got a favourite production? What made it so special?

The production I was in during spring 2006. Our show was incredible and our cast amazingly close.
8. What do you think of the show as an adaptation of the film?

BatB was always one of my favorite Disney films. I think the show (overall) improved upon it by giving more depth to the supporting cast and adding songs for the leading males.

Sat May 30, 2009 10:29 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Wicked, Addams Family, Cats, Phantom, Les Mis
1. I like it because it is a huge spectacle.

2. If I can't love her. It shows a side in the beast that we didn't see in the movie.

3. "Try the gray stuff. It's delicous."

4. Home. It brings me down.

5. Lumierre

6. Terrance Mann

7. The original touring production. I saw it when I was 3 and I thought it was amazing.

8. I believe it put together some pieces of the puzzle.

Last edited by i-train123 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:57 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

1. What do you like about this show? Or, if you're not a fan, what makes it unmemorable for you?

When taken seriously, the show has a lot of heart, and the cast is filled with so many compelling and interesting characters. There's something for every type of actor in this work, and once you get a cast together of that much variety, the show just shines.

2. Pick your favourite song in the show and tell us why it's your favourite?

I don't know which song is my favorite, I love Gaston, Be Our Guest, If I can't Love Her, Me!, and Home,oh and Beauty and the Beast

"We shall be the perfect pair, rather like my thighs!"

No, but I hate the new lyrics for Home...

"What I'd give to return to the life that I knew lately..."

old:"But I know that I can't solve my problems going back."

new *eww*:"And to think I complained of that dull provincial town."

The first lyric reflected Belle's strong and intelligent character, the new lyric makes her seem like a whiner, which Belle is not.

my favorite characters are The Beast and Gaston. Both are very complex, and their creation serves the other character greatly.

I never saw Hugh Jackman do Gaston, but I'd love to see his performance.

High School 2009-The cast ws so well rounded, not a weak actor in the bunch. Everyone worked together really well, and it was such a close family.

[b]8. What do you think of the show as an adaptation of the film?[/b

It's WAY better than the film, because it gives all of the characters more depth, making the production a deeper and more meaningful story.

Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:46 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I adore this show. It was my favorite movie as a child. The songs are great and the story just touches my heart every time

Something There. Everyone is changing their views on the other people in the show. The Beast is nervous and adorable...and the library scene has always been my favorite.

If you think that you've done is right well then, you're a fool, think again

Human Again. It grates my nerves.

I feel such a connection with Belle but the Beast is a close second because I think he is adorable

I dont think I have one

When my high school did it. I know thats not really what the question is asking but we had so many talented people who played the roles so well. I was so proud of that show

It all depends on the people in the show. I have seen some absolutely horrible productions. Ive seen Belle played as a bitch and the Beast being such a wimp. The actors need to learn to play a balance of how they interpret the character while still staying true to the movie

Dream Roles:
Belle, Millie, Reno

Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:41 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

1. What do you like about this show? Or, if you're not a fan, what makes it unmemorable for you? Maybe I'm biased, but it was a lot of fun to be in. I found myself speaking in a cute little French accent even when I wasn't at rehearsals - it's very easy to get into, and even being in the chorus is so much fun.

2. Pick your favourite song in the show and tell us why it's your favourite? I think I'd have to go with 'Belle (Reprise)'. Don't know why, but the lyrics are so meaningful, and I adore how drastically the mood changes - and within a one minute song, no less!

3. What is your favourite lyric? Oh wow, so many. I think if i had to pick the FUNNIEST, probably 'We shall make the perfect pair / rather like my thighs!'. The way our Gaston delivered that line made me shake with laughter. Which was bad because the Silly Girls were frozen on a platform off the stage. Yeah. Got reprimanded for that one.

4. Got a number you just can't stand? Tell us why. Uh... If I Can't Love Her (Reprise). It's so pointless. And, actually, our Beast was losing his voice at our matinee, so the director actually had us skip over the song. It was awesome and took absolutely nothing away from the plot.

5. Who's your favorite character? Cogsworth. Unless you're really listening to the show (or reading the script, of course), most people tend to not notice what hilarious lines he has. It's all in the delivery, obviously, but there's SO MUCH one can do with that role.

6. Who is your favourite Beauty and the Beast-related performer? ...Nick Jonas as Chip. Cause. You know. He's cute.

7. Got a favourite production? What made it so special? Mine. Even as a high school production, and 90% of our ensemble not knowing how to read sheet music (THAT was an entertaining day), we pulled it off, and it was so fun.

8. What do you think of the show as an adaptation of the film? I actually like the stage production better. So much more goes on, the characters have so much more dimension - par for the course, I suppose?

Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:54 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

This show brings back childhood songs and characters plus a little bit more.

My favorite was Gaston because it is a great opportunity for a dance number. In the production I was in we did a HUGE dance number with elaborate beer mug hitting.

"We shall be the perfect pair rather like my thighs."

"Change in Me" was the worst number because it just seemed to drag on and on and was just a dumb song.

My favorite characters were the silly girls!

I've never seen it but I have been in one production and it was the first part I've ever had.

It is the perfect adaptation!

PS: Person above I was a silly girl and a dish too!

Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I'm a huge fan of Disney anyway. I love the music, the characters, the set and the costumes.

Belle.

I wonder why I didn't see it there before.

I like all the songs :)

Belle (Y) for the win.

Dianne Pilkington when she played Belle.

All of the preformances have been favourites of mine.

I loved it. It didn't deviate from the original plot, and I was amazed particulary at the staging of the Transformation scenes.

Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:57 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Company
I love the magic in it. It's a beautiful love story.

Mob Song. I saw a local high school production of it and, gawd, their Gaston could sing! The choreography was great. I loved every second of that number.

"Well, who'd have thought? Well, bless my soul. Well, who'd have known? Well, who indeed? And who'd have guessed they'd come together on their own?"

No Matter What. I find the number too long.

Gaston and the Silly Girls.

Annelise van der Pol.

I loved the aforementioned local high school production I saw. Everyone was so talented.

Actually, I have never seen the film.....

Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:52 am

I just love the magic that happens in this show.. Its such a beautiful spectacle and a touching story.

"Home" is my top played song on my iTunes, but once I saw the show live, I've figured that it doesn't really fit into the show. At all. I still like it though. So actually its probably "Belle (reprise)" or "Be our Guest".

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere, I want it more than I can tell".. Its just.. relatable, haha hate to sound cliche

When I saw an amateur production of this, I totally wasn't feeling "If I can't love her" or the reprise. To me, it just seemed completely boring and weirdly stuck in. And its so slow.. Just a really frustrating ballad.

Probably Lumiere. Its such a fabulous character, he's just so.. undescribable, haha. Or the Silly Girls. They are so fabulous!

I'm not sure, I don't know too much about the professional productions.
Although, Hugh Jackman played Gaston in the Australian production in like 1995 :D

Well the one I saw live.. It was just magic, and it will always have sentimental value to it. It wasn't amazing, and the Beast was a total bore-fest, but apart from that, it was gorgeous. And the Belle was a beauty, with immense talent.

I like it better. But then again, of course I'm going to like a theatre show than a film. I just think its got more substance.

Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:36 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Like:
- Much of the music.
- It's a, well, beauty and the beast tale, and therefore good in my eyes.

Dislike:
- It has the gall to be aimed primarily at young kids/family rather than at me.
- The new material isn't of a consistently high standard.
- Depending on how you interpret it, the show's messages can be rather awful. "Boys, rob a girl of her independence and dreams and chain her to your house, and she'll fall in love with you!" "Girls, if you think you're more special and worthy than everyone around you, that's because you are!"
- Anybody else think that maybe the Beast should have died, and perhaps his corpse could have turned back into the prince... anyone...? Actually that may not work, but it'd be pleasingly tragic and gothic!
- Sometimes Belle irritates me.

No strong favourite. Possibly 'Belle' because of the way it gets through so much exposition while still staying fun. It also builds beautifully - the initial quiet part is almost as enjoyable as the 'interlocking parts' at the end. My favourite musical moment would be the end of the Entr'acte - the 'Home'/'Something There' part gets to me.

Same as what most people have written:
"I can see that we will share / All that love implies;
We shall be the perfect pair / Rather like my thighs!"

Another I like is
"I don't take this girl for granted - there's no path I haven't hewn
To her heart: no seed unplanted, no flowers unstrewn!"

And all the "triple rhymes" in 'Gaston' and its reprise. Especially:
"No one plots like Gaston, / Takes cheap shots like Gaston,
Plans to persecute harmless crackpots like Gaston!"

I don't absolutely hate any of them (any more). A few irritate me in various ways.

- 'No Matter What' - makes Belle and her father sound like snobs. And some of the lyrics are bad - "And every daughter tends to say her father's tops! / She pulls out all the stops..."

- 'Home' - the music and lyrics are very sappy. However I do like some of the character ideas expressed in this song. It gives Belle a bit more balance and maturity, after we've seen her whinging about how special and misunderstood she is compared to the "little people" (Belle, No Matter What). It's almost a Luisa-from-The-Fantasticks moment - she learns that she actually had it pretty good before and was being slightly bratty and immature ("And to think I complained...")

- 'If I Can't Love Her' - Something about the chorus annoys me, the lyrics seem a little unnecessarily convoluted. Maybe if the tenses were the same - "No beauty could move me... if I couldn't love her"? (I'm not sure if this would work.)

- 'Transformation' - The dialogue is cheesy, though perhaps that's unavoidable given the situation and target audience.

Despite her flaws... Belle.

Paige O'Hara from the movie - a really charming voice that makes Belle likeable.

The movie? I've only seen the Australian stage production - can't remember much but I thought the staging was a bit boring and static, and the whole design was a bit garish.

The musical version spreads the story a bit thin. The original material was (IMHO) not strong enough to just be replicated or "sustained" for the length of a full show... I'd want to see it improved, characters given more depth, etc. This happened to some extent, but not enough given the extra time the stage provided.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:19 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Another I like is
"I don't take this girl for granted - there's no path I haven't hewn
To her heart: no seed unplanted, no flowers unstrewn!"

What song is this from..?

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:28 am

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"

(non?)