Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
The BEAUTY AND THE BEAST Poll 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Tenses?
Barberous wrote:
'If I Can't Love Her' - Something about the chorus annoys me, the lyrics seem a little unnecessarily convoluted. Maybe if the tenses were the same - "No beauty could move me... if I couldn't love her"? (I'm not sure if this would work.)

I don't see that there's anything wrong with the tenses in the first place. To change them would render the point of the song moot. He's saying that if he can't love her now, then none of those other things could ever move him at any time in the future. It's the combination of the present tense, modified by the conditional "if", and the remote or predictive future tense that makes the lyric so effective.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:57 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

It all boils down to two things: 1. It was the first movie that I ever saw, and 2. I can relate to the Beast. The latter may be why I love it so.

2. Pick Your Favorite Song
"If I Can't Love Her" and "Be Our Guest". You can probably guess why with the first song, and "Guest" is a fantastic showstopper.

3. Favorite Lyric
"No pain could be deeper/ No life could be cheaper/ No point anymore/If I Can't Love Her/ No spirit could win me/ No hope left within me/ Hope I could have loved her/ And that she'd set me free/ But it's no to be/ If I Can't Love Her/ Let the World be done with me!" That whole part gives me chills.

4. Got a number you can't stand?
"A Change in Me" it just seems like too much of another annoying showcase song for Belle, an excuse for high school girls in the production who ridiculously belt out like they're Idina Menzel.

5. Favorite Character?
Beast. I'm a little obsessed.

6. Favorite performer?
Ryan Novakovich, he played Lumiere in a community theatre production and was amazing.

7. Favorite production?
Pittsburgh CLO 2006 production, because it was the first time I saw how the show could be done OUTSIDE of the Disney-produced version.

8. Do you think it's a good adaptation.
Heck yes. Plain and simple.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:33 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: The Current Bway Season; A Little Night Music
Main Role: Performer
1. What do you like about this show? Or, if you're not a fan, what makes it unmemorable for you?
Well, it was the first professional musical I ever saw, where it came to tour in Chicago when I was about 7. <3 It wasn't the one who got me into musicals, but it still holds a very special place in my heart. I actually didn't get into it as much until very recently, but I really like the songs, and, Disney as it is, I also really like the plot. :)

2. Pick your favourite song in the show and tell us why it's your favourite?
Home. I'm learning it in voice lessons now, and it really makes me die with how pretty it is. Also, I like If I Can't Love Her-I love the drama in it, and I feel it sums up the Beast very well.

3. What is your favourite lyric?
I'm not sure

4. Got a number you just can't stand? Tell us why.
Not really, although admittedly, I do prefer the more personal numbers than the big ensemble numbers (but I still love Be Our Guest!)

5. Who's your favorite character?
Belle. As cliche as that is, she's always been my favorite Disney princess! I look like her (with the brown, curly hair), my nose was usually stuck in a book (especially when I was younger!), I admire her pluck for standing up to her father, and sometimes, I can imagine other people thinking that I'm odd, too.

6. Who is your favourite Beauty and the Beast-related performer?
I'm not sure....I've just been getting into it again recently. I like a lot of what Susan Egan does, but I haven't been able to find many other performers on Youtube and such (if anyone has any, let me know!)

7. Got a favourite production? What made it so special?
well, I've only seen it once, 8 years ago ;) So I really can't say!

8. What do you think of the show as an adaptation of the film?
Definitely a good one. Since Disney hadn't been putting all of their productions on film yet, this was definitely good. I love the added songs and I think the magic was really brought to life onstage!

Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:40 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

1. What do you like about this show? Or, if you're not a fan, what makes it unmemorable for you?

The music. The theme that plays in the very beginning and during the Beast's transformation, and then it's also heard during "If I Can't Love Her" gives me chills.

I love the "Belle Reprise" and "If I Can't Love Her". The first time I heard the latter, it was sung by a man with an amazingly gorgeous voice in a musical revue concert we did.

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere, I want it more than I can tell"

I don't really like "No Matter What".

Babette. :wink: And I adore Cogsworth.

Hugh Jackman. =D =D =D

I've only seen it the once on Broadway, but I can't remember it very well; and I don't know how the one I'm doing now is going to turn out, soooo....

I'm a fan.[/b]

Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:06 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Performer

I love the story, the whole show is magical and the characters have such depth.

Home. It's special to me because I'm playing Belle and it won me the part. I love the melody as well.

Gotta love:
Gaston: Lefou I'm afraid I've been thinking,
Lefou: A dangerous pastime.
Gaston: I know.
(Gaston Reprise)
And I must say, the end of 'If I Can't Love Her' does move me every time.
'Let the world be done with meeeee'.

No, I pretty much like them all.

I'd have to say Belle. She's not your typical 'Disney princess'. She's smart, different and she turns down Gaston.

Susan Egan.

I just love the Disney musical. And the production I'm doing will be very special.

They structured the film 'as a musical' so I think was done well. It is a challenge, costume and set etc. wise. And some things done in movies just can't be done on stage. But, I think the added songs fit in well and the characters come across excellently on stage.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:16 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: The BEAUTY AND THE BEAST Poll
RainbowJude wrote:

1. The show was the first show I ever did (although not the Disney version), was the first show I got recognized for my role (I played Cogsworth and got a nomination for the secondary school theatre awards in my region) as well as our whole show winning best overall production and the Broadway production rehearsals started the day I was born (Oct 1st 1993).. Plus what's not to like.

2. I like "If I Can't Love Her", because Cogsworth didn't sing and I was the Beast understudy, so this was my favourite song to rehearse.

3. Can I Help It If I'm T-T-Tense? - Cogsworth in Human Again

4. Hmmm I don't think so. Although when we performed it I had to wait a LONG time for Gaston to finish before I came back onstage, so maybe Gaston? Even though it's great!

5. Cogsworth of course! But without being bias, I would probably have to say Mrs Potts

6. Anneliese van der Pol... LOVE HER. Final Belle on Broadway.

7. My production as Cogsworth, Kristin School 2009. It was just magical and we won Best Overall Production from the Auckland Secondary School Theatre Awards

8. If done properly, it is amazing

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3