The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Beauty and the Buzzkill Jr. 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

the show is still good. if people didnt like it they wouldn't have it as the movie.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:24 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

ok so the jr version is the movie if people didn't like the movie the jr version would have been different. now do you get it

Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:27 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I just think you really don't know what you are talking about.

The movie came out way before the musical.
It won awards, and then disney was like
'Hey, let's add a few songs to this and put it on stage!'

....then they needed to water it down for elementary/middle school/small schools so that they could do musicals too, and did.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:15 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Billy Bigelow
Main Role: Director
Post Re: Beauty and the Buzzkill Jr.
I am on the play selection committee at my community theatre, and they were torn between doing the full version or the Jr. version of the play, so they ordered perusals of both. I was a proponent of the real version from the beginning, but if I hadn't been, reading the Jr. script would have converted me in an instant! Please understand that the Jr. version isn't just the movie version onstage. It would have the potential of being good that way. It's not. They've rewritten perfectly lovely lines, taken out ridiculous amounts of good stuff, and added dumb stuff.

For example, many of the Jr. shows feature some kind of group of narrator/Greek chorus deal (the ancesters in "Mulan, Jr." and the narrators in "Aladdin, Jr."), and BatB Jr. is no exception. They make the Silly Girls into this dumb narrative group thing, and they pop up where they aren't supposed to be, commenting on everything. They make an appearance during the "Belle (Reprise)," one of the most amazing moments of the real show, and sing "She wants much more than this provincial liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiife!"

It's baaaaaad.

Last edited by thewrongtime on Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:17 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: 13,
Main Role: Performer
Seriously I enjoyed Beauty and The Beast jr. Maybe I'm just saying this because I was in it, but it isn't that bad. Its just a way for kids and teens to be able to put on a production, because some songs and notes and stuff are a little too much for kids. I mean, ofcourse the original version is better but its just for kids and teens. Strangely enough in my preformance of the show, our beast sang If I can't love her, but this was only because he was older than most of the actors, and he wasn't like a kid. Please answer my question. :)

]Recently: Edith- Pirates of Penzance
Penny- Hairspray

Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:20 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

We added some songs and scenes into the show when we did it, like "If I Can't Love Her", "No Matter What", and "Me" and then a couple of Lumiere/Babette scenes. We also did the full version of Home. I think this is illegal... but it was definitely necessary, especially for the Beast's character.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:03 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: A Very Potter Musical, Beauty and the Beast
Just reread this thread, though it appeared to be a while ago...
You guys aren't giving middle schoolers enough credit! I'm currently a ninth grader student directing BatB for my Grad Project (Basically I'm getting credit to sit around and socialize with my eighth grade friends, and then be stage crew later in January). They're doing the original version, even though their cast maybe isn't the strongest, especially male-wise. Normally, they double cast all the roles, but they single casted both Gaston and Beast this year because they only had 2 eighth grade boys. Both of them, though are admittedly in that awkward eighth grade boy stage, are really good. Though some of the notes are high for both their ranges, they sure as heck can handle it! Once they both get a little more comfortable in their parts (We're only in our second month of rehearsal), they'll kill it. I don't believe any cast, no matter how young, deserves the Jr. version of a show. The Jr. versions aren't for kids to perform, they're for kids to watch, and it's demeaning for those in it.
Granted, my school has been pretty blessed in terms of theatre, both with talented kids and good resources to perform it, so the fact that the Jr. version might suit a school better money wise doesn't really apply here. All I know is that if I had been told I was doing a Jr. version of a show, I'd be kind of offended.

Currently: Beauty and the Beast: Student Director
Next: Phantom of the Opera: Ballerina

Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:01 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Falsettos (forever), Avenue Q, The Scottsboro Boys
I have seen an Elementary production of Batb junior. I was fortunate enough to be part of the tech crew. It wasn't exactly very good, but there were a few actors that did well. The junior version robs the show of a good book i must add.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:07 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Those cuts are absolutely ridiculous. And the Silly Girls Greek chorus? Ew. I'm not a fan of Greek choruses ever, but one made up of the Silly Girls (as played by junior high girls without incredible comic timing) would make me want to leave immediately.

That being said, my 7th and 8th grade years, my junior high did the Jr. versions of Guys and Dolls and Mulan. Guys and Dolls was actually pretty good, even though they cut "Sue Me" which honestly was okay because Nathan wasn't a strong singer, but a really good actor, and "Take Back Your Mink" which I understand, considering that the whole premise of the song is stripping. But our cast was phenomenal, and most likely could have handled the real thing. Mulan, however, was horrible. The ancestors were just annoying. They stood on some stairs in front of the stage the whole time, and it was just bad. Not to mention the cast was no where near as strong as the year before. But I hear they're doing Thoroughly Modern Millie this year, and I'm kind of scared to see how it turns out. My graduating class and the graduating class before us were bursting with talented performers, but no one from the other grades really stood out ever. What a pity, it's one of my favorite musicals.

Dance Team
Current:
Asst. Choreographer, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Jr., Dance Team
Past:
Dancer/Cheongsam Salesperson-Mulan Jr.
Arvide-Guys & Dolls Jr.
Marie Antoinette-Of Mice and Mozart
Marcia-Disco Knights

Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:39 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Location: A relatively fictitious hospital in a much less fictitious town
Current Obsession: Beatles songs in general, Beauty and the Beast
Look at me, jumping in out of absolutely nowhere. But because I'm a stalker and so on, I've already read this thread.

Anyway, currently, I'm in BatB Jr., and the only songs are:
Belle
Belle (Reprise) (the Silly Girls sing, like, half of it)
Home
Home (Tag)
Gaston (the part with "When I was a lad, I ate four dozen eggs..." was cut)
Gaston (Reprise)
Be Our Guest ("Life is so unnerving for a servant who's not serving..." section was cut out D:)
Something There and its various sections are in it- Babette sings "Well, who, indeed?", Madame sings "And who'd have guessed they'd come together on their own?", everyone sings "Wait and see, a few days more... Something there that wasn't there before", etc.
Human Again (Babette sings "I'll wear lipstick and rouge" and "I'll exude savior faire", "So sweep the dust from the floor... Sweep up the years of sadness and tears..." is all cut out completely, lyrics are swapped around after the reading scene)
And it's all the songs from the movie from then on (excluding Home [Reprise] and the part in the finale that sounds like "If I Can't Love Her"). A part of the Mob Song was cut as well.

But, you know, some cast members could manage "If I Can't Love Her" and others, even the cut sections of songs in it. Only a FEW.

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3