The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Beauty bloopers 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

We opened a few nights ago and our Beast's beard was left on stage after the transformation. And Gaston's chest hair started coming off.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:08 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

hilarylove's story reminded me of this horrible production I saw when during the fight(while Gaston and the Beast were swinging thier fists three feet away from each other) one of them knocked the little disco-ball-like object to be used during the transformation off the stage and broke it so the transformation sucked and then the beast left his monster hands onstage.

And thier Lumiere's candle blew out so he only had one hand that would light up.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:00 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

During the finale Belle's top of the yellow dress couldn't be closed all the way so our Beast had to hold it during the whole thing (including the waltz!)

Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:09 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Performer
Right before "Be Our Guest" Lumiere was walking backwards out of the wings as he was swearing to Cogsworth that he hadn't taken his eyes off belle (take note that Belle is standing next to Cogsworth/Mrs. Potts directly behind Lumiere). Well Lumiere tripped on belle's bed which was still out from the previous scene, and his hat fell off. But he covered it amazingly, and went on to belle about how "Terribly sorry I am for you to see me like this Mademoiselle!". The best cover-up ever.

Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:00 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post bloopers
Our directer tapped a microphone on the floor and someone steped on it. it made a huge squeaking sound, and everybody started cracking up.
Another one is when someone was in the sound room in the hallway and didnt hear when his line was some one had to run and get hime, and someone had to fill in for his line. know one noticed but the whole cast did, it was so funny. the same person forgot to get his prop, he was suppose to say something about tapping a parchment to a pole. he said something like if i had a partchement then i would tape it hear it was sooooo funny.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:17 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post blog your memories!
i'm doing this HUGE final project on my school's production of beauty and the beast. we had to create a blog, so spread the word and post your BATB experiences!

http://beautyandthebeastexperiences.blogspot.com/

Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:58 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I haven't done the show (would LOVE to), but my old high school did it this past April. I saw it twice, and some of my friends in the show filled me in on the rehearsal bloopers:
  • During a dress rehearsal, one of the PVC pipes holding Cogsworth's costume together fell out of the bottom. The characters on stage ad-libbed some lines to cover it, and someone eventually picked it up and took it away.
  • This happened in performance, and apparently also in rehearsal: sometimes Belle's costume change into her dress for "Something There" would take too long, and the Beast, Cogsworth, and Lumiere would have to improv some dialogue to cover the awkward pause.
  • In rehearsal (and also the night the production photos and video recording were made), Gaston's wig fell off during/towards the end of "Me."
  • On opening night, Maurice's invention got caught on a traveler, and he opened it enough for us to see the castle backdrop coming in. His wig also fell off during the wolf chase, and when he got it back on, it was backwards.
  • The tech crew had to pull the drops in and out very fast, so there were multiple instances of actors getting caught in them coming off (this theatre is set up with pulleys to move things across the stage, left or right) and having to beat their way out to be able to get on.
  • When the boys playing wolves tried on their costumes for the first time, none of them were wearing dance belts...yeah...
  • Chip's cart was very difficult for their Mrs. Potts to maneuver. Many times she would enter with him, and then get him caught on something, unable to get him off the stage. Eventually, the actress playing Babette was designated to grab the other side of the cart and help whenever appropriate.
  • In rehearsal, if Chip was left on stage because Mrs. Potts forgot to take him off with her, he would just sit in his chair and yell "Mamma!" until she came back.

I think that's enough for now.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:56 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I played Maurice, so here were a few of our bloopers:

WARNING, IT'S LONG!

-During "Belle", townspeople dropped plastic food out of their baskets and carts and such, and rather than picking it up, they just left it onstage.

-When I (Maurice) was supposed to bring my invention onstage, it would get caught on the vents on the floor and I would have to pull while Belle helped push from offstage.

-While I was "working" on the invention, I would sit actual metal tools on top of it. One night I didn't sit the tool all the way on it and it fell off while Belle was saying a line and slid across the stage, thudding all the way.

-My invention had an axe on it that (when a drill battery was pushed in place from the backside, out of audience view) moved in a chopping motion. The drill battery liked to get stuck and not go in all the way. There was also a smoke machine inside it that liked to not work alot. When both happened at once, I spun the bicycle wheel on the side and manually moved the axe-arm.

-When I leave the stage after "No Matter What", I had a quick change from an apron over my shirt to a vest. While our Babette was taking off my apron and puting my vest on me, I am trying to get my 3x6 fixed-wheeled invention to turn around so I can take it back onstage for "No Matter What (Reprise)". The stage managers headseat cord always got caught underneath the wheels, and some nights, the invention didn't reappear for the reprise.

-Babette put my vest on inside-out a few times. You could easily notice because there were big blue pockets sewn on that you only saw the outline of.

-In the scene after "Me" with Gaston and the Silly Girls, one of the Silly Girls accidently knocked another's wig off. She grabbed it and started putting it back on as Gaston calmly said "I always knew she wasn't a true blonde."

-I stumbled many times while being dragged out of the dungeon by the Beast.

-Belle's bedroom set originally had a doorway built in, but once costumes were added to the picture, it was impossible to get a 5ft wide Mrs. Potts through a 3.5ft doorway. The doorway was built over and the characters just entered from offstage.

-In "Be Our Guest", the plates had to cross paths on a 2ft deep platform while running sideways. Many little girls got hit in the face with large corrigated cardboard plates.

-In "Maison de Lune", our D'Arque stood on top of a barrel-table, LeFou on his chair, and Gaston on the stage as the all 'raised their glasses high'. While getting on top of the barrel, D'Arque accidently kicked his mug off of the table and across the stage. When they all toasted, he rose his cane to cover. Also, the panties used in the wardrobe were stuffed inside Gaston's mug for one performance.

-Each time Belle & I went onstage for "A Change in Me", the miniature portrait of Gaston was still sitting on the bench. As she began singing, I picked it up, looked at it, and placed it in her basket.

-When the Beast is transforming back into a human, our Enchantress did the Prologue dance in reverse, accompanied by strobes and fog. One night toward the end of the run, she fell onto her back in the middle of the dance. She was a very petite girl, so from the audience, it looked like part of the dance as she didn't make a noise when she hit the stage.

-When the Beast took his mask off, he was no longer wearing a microphone, as it was attatched to the mask. He had to get extremely close to Belle to sing his 'Belle look into....here before you'.

-As Chip ran and jumped into Mrs. Potts arms one night, his hand caught her wig and torn it clean off. She finished the show in her wig cap.

-While Belle was quick-changing into te yellow dress for the Finale, she realized her hairpiece was still on the other side of the stage from an earlier change. Unaware that her mic was already on, she said "S**T! Where's is my hair?!". To this day, we don't know if the audience heard it, but the cast sure did!

-During one performance, Mad. de la Grande Bouche called in sick. We had no understudies assigned, though the older, more experienced actors had pretty much worked out in our heads who would go on for who in the event of an emergency. Mad. de la Grande Bouche was one we must have missed...our director called one of our Silly Girls (same one that's wig fell off) and asked her to go over the lines and be ready to perform the next day. She came in and not only performed the Wardrobe track, but also her Silly Girl track. We made no changes other than she didn't change into the Wardrobe dress while she was inside it, she just rolled her sleeves up, and Babette did the high pitched scream to scare LeFou in "The Battle", as the Silly Girls were in that scene. She didn't miss a beat and went straight from Silly Girl to the beautiful Madame for the finale. She was a trooper!

Hope you got a laugh out of these, I sure did remembering them!

Recently: Salesman #2/Featured Dancer - The Music Man
Currently: Pablo - Suicide in B Flat
Coming Up: Sebastian - The Tempest

Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:36 am
Profile YIM
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
yes, thank you! I think this one was my favorite:
Quote:
Each time Belle & I went onstage for "A Change in Me", the miniature portrait of Gaston was still sitting on the bench. As she began singing, I picked it up, looked at it, and placed it in her basket.

:)

Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:06 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Glad you enjoyed it, I thought it was quite funny. I had made the portrait myself by taking a picture from our poster (which had Belle, the Beast, and Gaston on it), cut out Gaston's picture and put it in a frame. The guy playing Gaston & I are best friends, and he had a hilarious face on the poster, so it was hard not to laugh when I saw it each night.

Recently: Salesman #2/Featured Dancer - The Music Man
Currently: Pablo - Suicide in B Flat
Coming Up: Sebastian - The Tempest

Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:07 pm
Profile YIM
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

well it was a final show prank but our lumiere wore glasses for the show (i was babette) because i believe he was incredibly blind with out them. any way the final night after lumiere is supposed to be making sure belle doesnt leave her room & he chases babette off, i had a bunch of left over feathers, so when he re-entered for the next part of the scene he was covered in feathers as if he'd been getting cozy with babette ;}

Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:00 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
We didn't have too many huge bloopers except one night the beast forgot to come out during the wolf thing with Belle and the wolves performed the whole dance and she "died" OOPS

AND When Lumiere came back on before BOG we put feathers all over him to signify you know he and Babette were doing something.... lol but he had the brilliant idea to put one in his mouth, it worked every night but one when the feather got caught in his throat and he tried to deliver his line. he was like choking and couldn't get it out of his mouth, so our wonderful amazing (female/GNS*) Cogsworth took it out of his mouth and they continued, it was REALLY funny

* in community theater its hard to come by good actors all the time so sometimes GNS, or Gender Non-Specific casting is very necessary

Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next