A Change In Me: Yes or No? 

Yes or No?
Yes 83%  83%  [ 20 ]
No 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 24

A Change In Me: Yes or No? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Off-Topic: How on EARTH could somebody possibly hate Snow White!? She's Walt's personal princess! He put all of his creative energy in that one movie and a beautiful, innocent, pure princess was the result. Sigh.

Also, isn't Jasmine a soprano?

I'd say Jasmine's a mezzo at best. And I don't 'hate' Snow White; it's just that if I had to rate the Princesses from best to worst, she'd be towards the bottom. She has zero personality, and she lied to the Dwarves. When they left for work, they told her not to let anyone in the cottage. She promised them she wouldn't, and then what does she do?... She lets the Witch in the house!

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:49 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Main Role: Performer
Yes, I know you don't "hate" Snow White...but I also wouldn't say she lied to the dwarfs, she just broke a promise.
Anyway, that's a completely different story. Ah well.

Sorry to get this off-topic!

Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:35 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

At any rate, the option of cutting it is not offered by MTI, so it's here to stay whether you love it or not.

That's strange; is there a specific reason for that or is it just MTI policy? Cause I know that Tams-Witmark lets you cut songs out of their shows.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:20 pm

Personally, I don't think A change in me fits in with the rest of the score..

But then again, I've never seen the show live so I don't really mind. Besides, it is a nice song..

Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:37 am

I have seen the show done with "A Change in Me" cut, and the scene feels bare. Without the song, the section leading up to the mob's entrance doesn't have enough substance and it looks terrible.

I completely agree. I saw the show once where they cut it... HATED it, but then again, their Belle probably couldn't have sung it anyways. Still, I think the song adds a wonderful dynamic to the show, and gives the actress playing Belle a good chance to belt her face off.

P.S. I've known it was written for Braxton, but wasn't it a few keys lower when she did it? I know there's a vid on YouTube and it seems way low from what it is now. Also, did anyone see her as Belle? For some reason, I can't see her doing the legit stuff, and would like to hear how she sounded on the more classical side of Belle. Thanks :)

Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:29 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Beagle On Stage wrote:
At any rate, the option of cutting it is not offered by MTI, so it's here to stay whether you love it or not.

That's strange; is there a specific reason for that or is it just MTI policy? Cause I know that Tams-Witmark lets you cut songs out of their shows.

Beagle, could you please answer this?

Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:27 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Story-wise, I think it's a very nice touch to the scene when Belle is reunited with her father. Given her close relationship with her father, it seems natural that she would want to tell him about this major change in her life and explain to him why on earth she'd want to go back to the Beast that formerly imprisoned them. After all, he has watched her grow up and knows her hopes, dreams, personality, etc. better than anyone, and I think this song explains Belle's feelings more eloquently than dialogue could. It also makes for a nice contrast with the following mob sequence.

Musically, it is a nice piece for the Belle character. I was the oboe/English horn player in the pit band, and it was one of my favorite songs from this show to play.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:14 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Falsettos (forever), Avenue Q, The Scottsboro Boys
The song is in the licenced script so it's nessecary.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:01 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I like the song personally. I think it shows a lot of what's going on through Belle's mind. I know this could be shown through speech and physicality, but the fact is, it's a musical, so it seems right to have her express her change of feelings through song.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:45 pm

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
Beagle On Stage wrote:
I have seen the show done with "A Change in Me" cut, and the scene feels bare. Without the song, the section leading up to the mob's entrance doesn't have enough substance and it looks terrible.

I completely agree. I saw the show once where they cut it... HATED it, but then again, their Belle probably couldn't have sung it anyways. Still, I think the song adds a wonderful dynamic to the show, and gives the actress playing Belle a good chance to belt her face off.

P.S. I've known it was written for Braxton, but wasn't it a few keys lower when she did it? I know there's a vid on YouTube and it seems way low from what it is now. Also, did anyone see her as Belle? For some reason, I can't see her doing the legit stuff, and would like to hear how she sounded on the more classical side of Belle. Thanks :)

Well, from that clip on youTube, Toni sounded like... Toni. Not like she was trying to be a Disney Princess.

The production I was in cut the song, but it was probably for the better as well, since Belle was a bad singer.

Depending on how it's done, it can seem like it brings the show to a screeching halt for 4 minutes, or be an interesting character development and nice song. I personally don't like it if it's too slow, or too belty. IMO, a few notes are fine but please not the whole song... it just doesn't seem very "Belle". I think the semi-recent trend to belt a lot of Belle's stuff is just to make it more interesting/popular with the teens and tweens. Belle is intelligent, classic, and graceful... she doesn't need to be yelling ALL the time.
;)

Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2