Yes or No?
Yes 83%  83%  [ 20 ]
No 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 24

A Change In Me: Yes or No? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post A Change In Me: Yes or No?
I was having an in-depth discussion with my Birdie director the other day about ACIM. I personally don't care for the song; I don't think it fits with the rest of the score, I think that the scene with Belle and Maurice before "Mob Song" was better left as a book scene, and I think that at that point in the show Belle has had enough character-defining songs that the addition of ACIM seemed a bit belabored. My director said "The song tends to speak to people who have undergone a major change in their lives like Belle; maybe you just can't relate to it". Well, I have undergone some pretty significant changes, and I still can't relate to it. How does everyone else feel about this song?

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:36 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I think the song is pretty, but completely unnecessary for the show.

Upcoming:
none

Past:
Twin #2 in Peter Pan, Milkmaid/Chorus in Oliver, Belinda in A Christmas Carol

Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:11 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Main Role: Performer
I'm perfectly fine with it. It's a very beautiful song, but it's a little ridiculous and reduntant, due to the likes of Home and the reprise of Belle.
So not really. Very nice on its own, though...the arrangement used for it in On the Record was great and very common.

Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:32 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'm perfectly fine with it. It's a very beautiful song, but it's a little ridiculous and reduntant, due to the likes of Home and the reprise of Belle.
So not really. Very nice on its own, though...the arrangement used for it in On the Record was great and very common.

I completely agree with the redundancy factor. Even more unbelievable is that it was written to showcase Toni Braxton. I've always felt that Braxton was a big enough talent that she didn't need a specially written song to show her off.

What do you mean by "very common"? In the last half of your post, it sounds like you're praising the song, but it's been my experience that whenever something is referred to as "common", it's usually in a negative context.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:31 pm

Whoops, my bad. Common as in, I've heard it used in several performances of the song outside of On the Record, meaning it's obviously a good arrangement. :]
There's a great video of Anneliese van der Pol singing it using the On the Record arrangement.

Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:51 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I read somewhere that the song was added to the show for Braxton, but had been a trunk song before that, written for a possible Dennis DeYoung project. In homage to this, the song is written "a la Styx" for the On The Record score, an indication even present in the piano-conductor score's description of how to play the song.

Very tightly, very soon.
So wave one bachelor goodbye,
She'll be your bride- she'd rather die
Than have her daddy ossify
In my sordid saloon..."

Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:15 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

The song, for one thing, was the best thing to come out of Braxton's time as Belle. While it may be a little long for some to stand, considering where it is in the long stretch, it is a gorgeous song that I personally feel fits in beautifully.

As for it being redundant, I really can't say it is, IMO. The Belle Reprise is just an extention of Belle's "I want...!" motives that come through in the opening. "Home" is both her examining her new life and attempting to accept it while she ironically longs for what she left behind in the village that she once couldn't stand. "Change in Me" is her realization that her life HAS changed, 1) for the better considering where her emotions were during "Home" and 2) in a sense her growing up beyond her "I want...!" moments from the beginning in the show. She's changed and realized that she HAS found adventure and lived her own fairy tale, just maybe not in the childish ways she once did.

Again, this is all just my interpretation and opinion. :D

www.Peter-Flynn.com
Faith Kelter, LumBabsFan, Webmaster.

Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:05 pm
Profile WWW

I think it's a lovely song and the character, the scene, and the show are all better for it. At any rate, the option of cutting it is not offered by MTI, so it's here to stay whether you love it or not. lol

I have seen the show done with "A Change in Me" cut, and the scene feels bare. Without the song, the section leading up to the mob's entrance doesn't have enough substance and it looks terrible.

Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:02 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

The Jr. version does not have ACIM and I am fine with that... the show flows fine without it...

Personally, I love the song and would love a chance to perform it, but not in our show... it just wouldn't flow as well with it.

Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:57 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Legally Blonde

I want to sing it soooo bad. I absolutely freakin adore it. I think it's gorgeous and it gives the person playing belle a chance to show she is more than just a typical soprano and that a disney character is capable of development (what a freakin concept!)

Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:31 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think it's gorgeous and it gives the person playing belle a chance to show she is more than just a typical soprano and that a disney character is capable of development (what a freakin concept!)

Amen to that! In that same vein, I love that my two least favorite Disney princesses (Snow White and Aurora) are the only ones with my favorite female range: soprano.

Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:26 pm

Off-Topic: How on EARTH could somebody possibly hate Snow White!? She's Walt's personal princess! He put all of his creative energy in that one movie and a beautiful, innocent, pure princess was the result. Sigh.

Also, isn't Jasmine a soprano?

Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next