The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 580 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 49  Next
Silly Girl who is VERY upset!!! 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Crap! Joshua and I spent a long time on google looking for that baby. How did YOU find it?

Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:06 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Go to the search button in the line where it says "logout" and then search for "baby" and specify the user Chevstriss. It took me a few minutes to get the right combination.

Chev hasn't been here for a while so I felt justified using it in her stead.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:16 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clfwMNaYvy8 this is me singing home again trying to be a little softer and in character thanks for the advice check it out =]

Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:47 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:53 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clfwMNaYvy8 this is me singing home again trying to be a little softer and in character thanks for the advice check it out =]

I'm guessing you want more advice.

Here's my honest critique.

1. You need to work on vibrato. It wasn't there for a lot of the piece, and was there for some awkward notes. Also, don't abruptly cut off notes. Think of dimming lights instead of flipping a switch.
2. To go with that, try and keep your pitches consistent. On quite a few notes your pitched either started off or became very flat.
3. Stop moving. I call it the "beginner sway". (I was guilty of it too a few years ago). Did you watch and notice how your body was moving back and forth, and sometimes you took an unnessesary step? Don't do that. Stand your ground. Same goes with your head. Don't move it back and forth trying to produce vibrato. Vibrato should come natrually, not be manufactured.
4. Commit to any acting choices you make. A few times you'd have something good going, but then your eyes would move away or you would move or something. It made it seem like you were scared of doing anything other than just standing and singing.

Overall, if I were your director, I wouldn't have cast you as Belle. Of course, I don't know the rest of the talent at your school, so I have nothing to compare you to. However, keeping in mind the recent auditions at my school (as a general high school talent pool), I think I understand where your director was coming from.

It seems like you've gotten over whining about your part, which is good! Let us know how your show turns out!

Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:13 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I don't think the problem is your voice for the most part. You have some odd facial expressions. You stand still and sing for a while, and then suddenly you get way overly dramatic. I should feel the emotion from your heart, not your body. You have a nice voice to add to the chorus. I don't think a supporting character is in line. You have a lot to work with, and if you get some professional training, you may be really great.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:17 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Location: An island where the poorest of peasants labor and the wealthiest of Grand Homme Play.
Current Obsession: Songs for a New World
Main Role: Performer
Okay, I think we should ban threads where people just bitch. You didn't get the role, get over it.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:54 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

ok dont post on my forum if thats what you think of me thank you everyone else for the advice

Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:02 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Okay, I think we should ban threads where people just bitch. You didn't get the role, get over it.

Or maybe a sticky entitled "KEEP ALL ANNOYING COMPLAINTS HERE".

Could work.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:04 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

:lol:

current role: Belle!
and now Duchess in Aristocats!

Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:08 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:08 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

EVERY character has a name, and when you character has a name like "woman #4" in all my cases the director has let me and encouraged me to give woman #4 a real name. If you're an actor you have the ability to take a role with one line and create an entire back story to the character, creating the character itself. And when every actor that has a "small part" is playing THEIR character that they created the entire show becomes 100000 times better because of all the little bits of personality derived from giving your character greater meaning.

Agreed. It's SO much fun, especially if you have a group onstage as a family or a bunch of friends. You can totally write you own scene and just go to town with it, as long as you're not upstaging the main action onstage. Coincidentally, Beauty and the Beast was some of the most fun I've had doing it. I made myself a lawyer who had a big case that day, and I also added a little love triangle with some friends. The audience never really payed attention, but we had some wicked plot floating around there, and we had fun! We had a blast because we took our chorus roles with a smile and decided to make it more than just someone who stands in the background - the audience will not notice if you are being active onstage (as long as you're not upstaging). They will notice if you're standing there crying, wearing an "I should be Belle!" t-shirt off in the corner.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 580 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 49  Next