The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 580 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 49  Next
Silly Girl who is VERY upset!!! 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Every role is important. Acting is a team sport. If you're not on the team, don't play.

Last edited by wom on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:11 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Well I would just like to say thank you to all the good and bad comments and that you have even taken the time to read this i can understand why some of you would find this ridiculous i was just really sensitive about this one because i worked so hard and i wasnt expecting anything less than babette because he did ask me to stay after and sing with 2 other girls who got ms potts and belle but i guess everything happens for a reason thank you everyone =]

Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:19 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
So, I took the time to watch your video and based on that alone, obviously I can't compare you to anyone else that auditioned, but I would not have used you for Belle. If you want a no-holds-barred critique as to why I would be happy to PM you one. I don't like publicly critiqing people on forums.

Having said that here's a little insight as to why you may or may not be cast in a show: director's vision and total package. I have a friend that is never disappointed with casting decisions even when it affects her negatively because she believes a director should cast whomever the director thinks is the best for the roles, not who everyone else would have picked. Another friend who graduated from the Tisch School of the Arts learned, while there, to think of herself as a package. She may be the best singer and/or the best actor for a role but if the whole package doesn't suit what the director is looking for then so be it.

So think of it in those terms. What does your "package" lack? I always know going into an audition that if the director wants a strong dancer I am out. I lost a role last season because I couldn't dance it and another girl could. There was another role that I was up for (the one I wanted more than anything), but this time I lost out because of my look (my face is too innocent looking for me to come across as being streetwise). The director said in both instances it wasn't a question of whether I could sing or act the roles. Was I disappointed? Sure, but I knew that I lacked a necessary component to playing the roles. At least I can get dancing lessons and do something about that. I can't (won't) change how I look for a role. If I had been casting the show the roles would have gone with the better singers/actors, but again that goes back to the director's vision. We have two different ideas as to what's most important when casting a role. Heaven help us if we ever end up having to cast a show together!

As for the lead in the fall play leading to a lead in the musical, look at it this way... in my high school the same kids got all the leads year after year. Was that fair to the other students who worked their butts off too? This season I had a lead in the first play, I have a role in the middle show and I really want the lead in the next show, but I don't think that I should get it. Why? Because I think it's somebody else's turn. Plus, I'll be just as happy in the chorus, because I love doing shows for the sake of being in theatre. For a while I had forgotten that and I too only wanted the glory of the leads. I'm so happy I found my way back.

FYI- I got more out of playing Chava in Fiddler than I've ever gotten out of playing any other role. You'd be amazed how much you can get out of playing the smaller roles versus the leads. Plus another downside to playing a lead is missing out on the fun you get to have hanging out with the rest of the ensemble. Playing a lead can be lonely at times. With the way J&H rehearsals were broken up I pretty much only got to see the people I had scenes with until the last three weeks.

Cheer up. You'll be fine soon enough and you'll end up having a blast if you just let go of your disappointment and allow yourself to enjoy it. It's your last high school show. You'll regret it if you waste it on being miserable.

Sorry this was so long, but I just had so much to say and I didn't feel like editing myself. :)

Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:45 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

So, I took the time to watch your video and based on that alone, obviously I can't compare you to anyone else that auditioned, but I would not have used you for Belle.

I'd have to agree with her on that.

But coming from someone who is used to not-leads, it is really up to you to make your part be fabulous and memorable. It will show if you blow off the show because you're mad about what you lost out on, as it will also show if you put a lot of effort into your part.

And if you're still not satisfied with your involvement in the show, ask about assistant musical-directing or choreographing, or being in a crew that isnt involved during the actual performance (like publicity or costumes to a degree).

I'm sure you'll find a way to enjoy the last show at your school!

(Something to think about: Go into an audition not "expecting" anything and you'll always be happy if you're cast!)

Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:54 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

heyy thank you for your insights I wouldnt cast me for belle either i would cast me for babette but i really just think our belle is SO untalented and so does everyone else.. but in any case ive never really taken singing lessons besides a few .. i guess i cant really compete with years of training .. i mean i would love to take more lessons but there really expensive and my parents cant really afford it =/ but PLEASE message me and tell me what you think at

unwrittenx90@aim.com

Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:56 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

So stop discussing it with everyone else. The cast shouldn't be sitting around bashing each other's lack of talent even if you really believe it. If it's THAT bad, why would you want to be in the show? I would be embarrassed. If you're on board, get on board. If not, get off. But don't sit around and badmouth the show and the actors and the directors and encourage idle gossip and then expect a good show out of it.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:19 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

First, I want to tell everyone who is giving unwrittenx90 crap right now that they should drop dead. I saw what you guys said to to falia dahn on a different post and you are all pretty mean!

The "cry me a river and build a bridge over it" was uncalled for. Also the "take a Prozac" remark. As someone who IS on an antidepressant, that kind of stuff is truly offensive, not just to the person it is aimed at, but potentially for anyone else who reads it.

Telling people who are upset or who are doubting themselves to "grow up" is thoughtless. Being the one who seconds the post is even more annoying. YOU should grow up!

UnWritten:

I saw your video on youtube and I thought: (1) you have great vocal projection, which is important for Belle, (2) that you have the whole dark-hair-thing going, which is also very Belle, (2) that you aren't afraid to act during a song.

The bad part was, you kind of over-acted a bit, but then would just stand there during the instrumentation. If you did those awkward gestures during your audition, I can understand the director maybe going for someone more graceful, but not necessarily as good of a singer. I would really work on connecting with the song and reigning it in, next time around. Even your facial expressions were a little over-the-top.

But, again, your voice and range were very nice. A little shrill on the higher notes, but I think it's just the recording and the acoustics of the room you were in.

I understand how you feel.

I was up for Belle, too. And you know why I didn't get her? Because I was only two inches shorter than the actor they wanted for Beast. I was the best actress, the best singer, and looked the most like the character, but they ended up going for a girl who isn't even five feet tall, because she looked better standing next to the kid playing the Beast.

And that's that. And I've NEVER played a lead at my high school, and I'm a senior, too. At least you just had a part in the fall play!

But being a Silly Girl is so much better than being a spoon!

I think people get so upset when they don't get the lead or the second fiddle because they subconsciously fear that this means people will think they weren't good enough. But that really isn't an issue with this play, because there are no "big" supporting parts for girls -- even Babette is small. She only sings one line by herself!

No one's going to think the less of you for getting a Silly Girl, because, besides Mrs. Potts (who isn't an option for a yong, pretty thing like you) and Babette, the Silly Girls are the best parts to get! And maybe you didn't get Babette because the director got it into his head that you couldn't tango, or you didn't work with his Lumiere, or you wouldn't be able to pull of the French accent.

Whatever.

But you should really think about this for a week or two. If you remain upset and hate your part, maybe you should drop out. You're a senior -- you've got nothing to lose. But I personally say you should stay in the show and be nice to the girl who got Belle over you. I was miserable for about a week after I was cast, but now I'm rehearsing and, even though I barely have any lines, I'm having so much fun!

There are a whole bunch of first-time performers in our show this year, and instead of talking to Belle, they hang out around me! I think it's because she's always sitting onstage, watching people dance around her, or getting yelled at by the Beast. (LOL!!) I can sit with people and talk with them. We're only in week three of rehearsals, but already me and my posse have all these inside jokes and everyone wants to sit with us and everything.

If you're a drama queen, hijack the show. Be the one who always gets the most attention from Gaston. Push the other Silly Girls out of your way! Get into character! Be FUNNY!

People will remember you by the time curtain call comes around, and -- if the Belle in your show is as mediocre as ours -- the audience will acknowledge it when it comes time to clap.

If you'd like to talk more, you can totally PM me.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:49 am

iheartmusic2 wrote:
First,I think people get so upset when they don't get the lead or the second fiddle because they subconsciously fear that this means people will think they weren't good enough.

I can totally relate. With the whole Grease kerfuffle, I was only upset about missing out on Rizzo or Marty for a week or so. The thing that kept stinging was the fact that I thought I was better than that, and it made me look so untalented and incompetent.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:14 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Welcome to the life of musical theatre.
It sucks.

If only someone told me that when I was six, that would have stopped a lot of my bratty tantrums over the years whenever I faced rejection. I don't care anymore, I just go out and audition for more stuff...

and hope the show I got rejected for fails miserablly.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:12 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Oh goodness. This happens to every actor at some point. Your time will come, I promise.

Just...don't complain in the meantime. It makes things a lot worse.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:18 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

First, I want to tell everyone who is giving unwrittenx90 crap right now that they should drop dead. I saw what you guys said to to falia dahn on a different post and you are all pretty mean!

The "cry me a river and build a bridge over it" was uncalled for. Also the "take a Prozac" remark. As someone who IS on an antidepressant, that kind of stuff is truly offensive, not just to the person it is aimed at, but potentially for anyone else who reads it.

Telling people who are upset or who are doubting themselves to "grow up" is thoughtless. Being the one who seconds the post is even more annoying. YOU should grow up!

thank you sooo much for defending me and seriously alot of peoples quotes helped me alot but yours is by far the best ! thank you so much you dont know how much better this made me feel !! If you want to IM me my sn is unwrittenx90@aim.com because i would love to talk more if not its ok thank you so much again!!

Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:05 am

Post Re: Silly Girl who is VERY upset!!!
unwrittenx90 wrote:
hey everyone soo pretty much I just got cast as a silly girl and im extremely upset, actually in a depression, I tried out for belle, got a call back and than got a second call back with 2 seniors who got belle and ms potts and this other 10th grader who also got a silly girl ( im a senior) I REALLY wanted a good part this year im a senior and ive been so dedicated to drama im the vice president and i worked SO hard on my song its so upseting.. i really wanting belle or babette and he ---- me over so can anyone please shed some light on this situation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7VES749qr0

this is me singing home.. tell me if you think i deserved the part i got

Not being harsh here, just honest and trying to help.

I do indeed think you're not suited for Belle. Your singing skills are more or less okay (I think there is much room for improvement), but for a lead such as Belle they really need to improve. Of course (as has already been said) I can't judge the others who have been cast. As for your singing, try to smoothen the higher parts a bit. They sound kind of harsh now.
Also try to build more of a climax into the song. (I worked on 'Home' myself during my singing lessons). Build a story into the song. Start with singing soft, more like speaking, then add sadness, then when the songs speeds up add more volume but don't shout.
Just keep singing, keep practising and you'll improve.

And the comments like: - You have brown hair, that is more Belle like - Are just plain rubbish. I'm used to seeing a blonde Belle and there was nothing wrong with that. You won't get a role based on your looks or how important you have been in the past. It's talent that matters. If you didn't get it this time, work on it, improve, and you'll get it next time. Don't sit down and sob.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:23 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 580 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 49  Next