The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 580 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 49  Next
Silly Girl who is VERY upset!!! 

You have to be right for the part. Just because you get roles in other shows doesn't guaruntee you a part in another. Your director thought someone else fit the part better.

Also, directors have to take a lot of things into consideration. For B&tB, Belle has to have chemistry with the Beast, be the right hight/size in comparison, etc.

You should never feel like you are entitled to a part.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:00 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Sorry that you didn't get the role that you wanted but look at the positives: You had a lead in the fall play which i'm sure was amazing, you've probably had so many fun memories in your drama department, you've been dedicated to drama which is something to be proud of, and you still get a really fun part in the show! Take the role you've been given and put everything you've got into it. Maybe you'll even end up being glad that you didn't get another part. Good Luck!

Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:03 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I never felt " entitled to a part" I just feel really hurt and also the girls who got babette and madame who of been very happy with silly girls also being madame is a sick actress but cant sing to save her life.. i just thought this would be my year to get an actual name in the musical.. it would of been nice

Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:19 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

It sucks.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:42 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Let me rephrase: griping and complaining doesn't help anyone at all. This over-used cliche applies right now- There are no small parts, only small actors. and silly girl isn't even a small part, it's totally awesome!

current role: Belle!
and now Duchess in Aristocats!

Last edited by stagefrightdied on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:52 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Honestly, I find threads like these quite ridiculous.

You do have a "name" in the show. You're a Silly Girl. Awesome role. If you decide to keep that sort of attitude, then give the cast and crew a favor and quit. They won't tolerate you.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:00 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Up.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:25 pm

If it's that big of a deal that you're a Silly Girl, then quit the show. No one wants to work with a poor sport. And I wouldn't reccomend auditioning again, either. Rejection happens.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:57 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I slightly disagree with some of the people who have posted here. While I agree that you should keep a good attitude during rehearsals because a. you'll have more fun and b. other people won't feel as bad, I think you have a right to be upset for a few days. My director always says, it's okay to mourn over not getting a role for a day or two as long as you don't hurt other people, and I agree with that.

I'm in a similar situation, where I came really close to getting the title role in the Scottish Play and lost it to someone younger, and I understand that it's disappointing. But try to remember that there are a lot of things that go into casting besides just talent (and I do think the fact that you got a lead in the fall play did play into it, though I can't say for sure, since I don't know your director).

You'll have an awesome time if you let yourself (I'm working on that too with the Scottish play) and from what I've heard, everybody LOVES the Silly Girls!

One of the best directors I've ever had always says that you have to serve the story; sometimes to serve the story you can't get the part you want. By working hard to improve the play, you'll help yourself. (Before rehearsals, we'd always say "We serve the story and not ourselves; by serving the story we serve ourselves.")

So those are the words of wisdom I can offer. Break a leg! You'll have an awesome time!

Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:21 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Location: An island where the poorest of peasants labor and the wealthiest of Grand Homme Play.
Current Obsession: Songs for a New World
Main Role: Performer
Grow.

Up.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:33 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

EVERY character has a name, and when you character has a name like "woman #4" in all my cases the director has let me and encouraged me to give woman #4 a real name. If you're an actor you have the ability to take a role with one line and create an entire back story to the character, creating the character itself. And when every actor that has a "small part" is playing THEIR character that they created the entire show becomes 100000 times better because of all the little bits of personality derived from giving your character greater meaning.

I understand if you didn't get any of that, I can't really put what I'm trying to say into words very well. And I do have a little bit of sympathy for you because the same thing happens to me, but all you have to do is say to yourself, "Well, maybe _______ would play Belle differently than I would, but that doesn't mean that she doesn't deserve what she got. The director cast us in different roles for a reason and I should make the best with what I'm given." Then move on. Trust me, it works.

Good luck to you.

Favorite Past Roles: the tree in my third grade play.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:36 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Honestly, the same exact thing happened to me last year. I survived, you will too.

Whatever you do, don't complain or be a diva. It will only hurt you for the future.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 580 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 49  Next