Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Human Again: A Rant 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post "Human Again": A Rant
Apples2for10 wrote:
("Human Again") has proved to me how truly selfish the Objects are. They could care less about Beast being freed from his form; all they care about is when they can be human again.

While I don't think the song is really necessary and am certainly not a fan of lyrics like 'put these here and put those over there', this is only true if you isolate the song and ignore everything else we know about the objects and everything else they have said. Should they be begrudged a little pleasure in the hope that they will too be restored to their original forms rather than be condemned to a lifetime of being household objects, arguably through no fault of their own?

Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:30 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Next to Normal, Patti Lupone, ALICE RIPLEY!!!!!
Main Role: Director
Post Re: Human Again: A Rant
I agree with anyone who says this song is annoying! It is horribly repitions and just obnoxious. And yes even though it serves a purpose in the show, it is a very small purpose. When my school did the show EVERYONE in it hated this song, including all of the directors.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:40 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Location: A relatively fictitious hospital in a much less fictitious town
Current Obsession: Beatles songs in general, Beauty and the Beast
Main Role: Performer
Most of these posts are opinions. One I don't agree with is that it's repetitious. Sure it is, but isn't a lot of music nowadays like that, as well? And, I personally like it because of its:

Tune
Specific lyrics
The emotion
The animation, but that doesn't matter when it's the song that's being talked about
And that it's probably the only song where you get to hear the servants' thoughts on everything (besides that end bit of "Something There" and some parts in "Be Our Guest") that's been happening thus far. You usually hear songs about Belle's feelings, or the Beast's, or Gaston's. And really, no one's perfect; definitely not the people under the curse. Of course, the servants also help the Beast to get Belle to love him- on their behalf, but also the Beast's. If they didn't care about him, they wouldn't have helped him- they would have left him on his own to get her to love him.

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:58 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Les Miserables
Main Role: Fan
I'm with most of the people here on the whole "They're not selfish" thing.

But I still hate the song!

Well, it's mainly because it was really frustrating when we tried to learn in for my school's musical. Not a lot of the people in my production were primarily singers (like I used to be) but more so actors. They weren't used to singing harmonies, so they had a lot of trouble with those. (not the harmonies were too hard. Mostly they're were just singing on the same note) Plus, the lyrics were kinda tricky to learn, because they're all very similar. The song was waaay to much repetition.

Plus, the dancers behind me were exempt from learning any of the song lyrics. So instead they decided to sing the soprano parts and then the descant. None of them could sing it. The only one that I thought would be able to sing it (because she once was a soprano in the school choir until she left it for dance last year) ended up singing very breathily and sharp. (I'm really afraid my voice will weaken like that too, since I'm also going to be dropping choir next year) And for some reason, this was a batch of very giggly, preppy girls, and they kept giggling and being like "Ohmaigawsh, like, tehehe, we, like, can't sing! Isn't that hilarious!"

...all right in my ears.

So, all in all, I dislike the song for it's repetition of lyrics and melody and for personal reasons. Just ignore my personal reasons.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:25 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Location: A relatively fictitious hospital in a much less fictitious town
Current Obsession: Beatles songs in general, Beauty and the Beast
Main Role: Performer
In my perspective, they're repeating "We'll be human again" over and over because they're incredibly excited and can't get it off their minds. But I elaborate on everything.

It sounds like you just got really sick of practicing the song, and I totally understand what you mean! But it's no reason to hate it, y'know?

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2