The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
The Old Switcheroo 

Post The Old Switcheroo
When we did this production in High School, I was cast as Cogsworth...I'm a girl!

We played the part like I was a man...I used eye-liner to thicken my eyebrows and I had a mustache....taped the girls down. I have a naturally lowish voice, which I just lowered even more for the part. It worked quite well. Most audience members didn't realize that I was female.

I played a regular female peasant in the first scene (just a chorus part), so I had to run back stage and mustache and eyebrow myself very quickly between scenes.

we also had a female play chip, but she played Chip as a girl since gender is not super important to the character.

Anyone else switch genders in this play? I don't think it's a play that gives a lot of allowances for switching genders, but I think I was the best person for this part. (It was my favorite part to play, so far, too!)

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:20 am

I just saw that there is actually an ENTIRE topic dedicated to not only gender switches, but FEMALE Cogsworth....Sorry. :(

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Our chip is a girl playing it as a boy.... we all tease her everytime she says "Will I ever get to be... a boy again?"

Zaneeta in TMM
Dream-
Jo or Amy March in Little Women

Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:36 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: The Old Switcheroo
If you brought Cogsworth to life, and people believed you were a male (which Cogsworth is), that's great. I imagine you did a wonderful job, Pappy. But changing the writing so that a character is a gender they're not, as your production did with Chip, is a crime against artistry. Chip isn't a girl. Chip's a boy. If Chip was a girl, the libretto would tell us that.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:06 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]