The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Human Again: A Rant 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Human Again: A Rant
This has been on my mind a lot lately. I don't care for "Human Again" at all. When I was younger and would watch the movie, I had great respect for the Objects. Now that I am older and have been exposed to the stage version, I have completely changed my tune on the Objects and I fully blame "Human Again". This song has proved to me how truly selfish the Objects are. They could care less about Beast being freed from his form; all they care about is when "they* can be human again. No wonder I like the movie better; the original version doesn't have this debacle of a song in it (the newer version does, and whenever I watch it, you can guess at which part my finger gets better acquainted with the Skip button). After hearing this exploration in conceit and big-headedness, I have zero respect for Lumiere, Cogsworth, Mrs. Potts, etc., because they clearly don't care about Beast and his problems.

Fin.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:54 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The Phantom Tollbooth- Tock

Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:16 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

You're turned into a clock. You can hardly move. Your master, who has been treating you horribly for many years, is turned into a Beast. Finally, when he becomes nice again, you begin to think that you might become human again. Would this make you happy?

Exactly.

Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:50 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Apples2for10, I think you've just given me a whole different side to this I have never considered. In a way, you are right, but you have to also think why the Beast even ended up this way.

So you got this Prince who is a 'royal' pain and a spoiled brat but his servants cannot contradictact him because of his being royal. Now, admittedly, the servants did probably make him spoiled, being royal and all and that's what led to the whole spell thing. Now if I were the objects, I'd probably feel guilty about the whole thing and that's why they are punished too. So not only would the spell being broken mean they would be human again and saved from the fate of being an initinamte(sp?) object, but it would also fix thier mistake in treating the Prince like that.

Orginally, perhaps, they might have felt that way as you suggested, but would they really condemn Belle and not the unknown mysterious lady they had dreamed about for years to break the spell just for thier happiness?

Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:34 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

While I see where you're coming from, I couldn't disagree more. I ask that you look at all sides of the spectrum here.

The servants were in a very tight position. Here was a young man that they apparently had to raise up right, but they could never say no to or discipline. There were no unions or rights back then. If they denied their master, their jobs - or worse their lives - were at risk. However, they KNOW they were partly at fault because they raised the prince up to be the way he was, however they really had no choice. In that sense, the spell was a bit unfair. But I like to think that in the musical, the Enchantress did realize this, and hence their little "de-evolution" instead of "Boom! You're all cursed as well!"

In the beginning, do you really think the Beast was thinking of his servants as well when he wanted the spell broken? If "Human Again" is a show of selfishness, then who's to say I can't say the same about "If I Can't Love Her"? While it is a moment of "Damn, I screwed up again, bigtime!", did he ever ONCE think about all the lives that he affected aside from his own? At all? No, he didn't. Note that even later on, after the ballroom sequence, the Beast doesn't even show any apology to them or acknowledgement that they too will be cursed forever, and for all we know, better off dead once they reach the final stage of turning into an inanimate object. Now to be fair, Lumiere, Cogsworth, and Mrs Potts did get upset, but even the most kindest person in the world is human and thinks first - if just for a moment - of what will personally happen to them. Haven't we all at some point or another in times of fear and disappointment and anger?

Once again on the note of "Human Again," yes, they do all discuss their own personal stories, sure. They're thrilled! They're excited! All that the ENTIRE castle - Beast included - thought would NEVER happen in their most hopeful dreams is coming true! But are they ONLY thinking of themselves? I wouldn't assume so. I quote: "When the girl finally sets us ALL free." Last I checked, ALL would actually include their master as well.

So no, IMO, they're not being selfish in the sense that you suggest.

www.Peter-Flynn.com
Faith Kelter, LumBabsFan, Webmaster.

Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:46 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Everyone's already said what I'm thinking. :D

Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:12 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I hate the song because it tells the audience what they already know. As if we ever thought that they liked being objects and idn't want to be "Human Again". It's completely useless.

Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:32 pm

I hate the song because it tells the audience what they already know. As if we ever thought that they liked being objects and idn't want to be "Human Again". It's completely useless.

So, if they cut all of the songs that describe to the audience what they arleady know, they would have to cut:

ME - they already know Gaston wants to propose to Belle
HOME - they already know Belle doesn't want to be in the castle
GASTON - they already know he's popular
BE OUR GUEST - they already know they're eating supper
IF I CAN'T LOVE HER - they know the Beast is sad
SOMETHING THERE - they already know the Beast & Belle are in love
HUMAN AGAIN - [your reason]
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST - they already know they're in love
A CHANGE IN ME - they arleady know Belle has been changed
MOB SONG - they know Gaston wants to kill the Beast
END DUET - they know Belle doesn't want him to die
BATB (Reprise) - they already know all is well again

Wouldn't it be a really short show?

Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:44 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

...yep, I would've been home a lot sooner on some nights.

Human Again is just a great song. It's fun, it's lively, it's a mini-party because things are finally going right in the castle. It gave characters who otherwise wouldn't have solos a chance to shine! =) They always wanted it in there, and it is. Bless it!

www.Peter-Flynn.com
Faith Kelter, LumBabsFan, Webmaster.

Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:02 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Xack wrote:

So, if they cut all of the songs that describe to the audience what they arleady know, they would have to cut:

ME - they already know Gaston wants to propose to Belle
HOME - they already know Belle doesn't want to be in the castle
GASTON - they already know he's popular
BE OUR GUEST - they already know they're eating supper
IF I CAN'T LOVE HER - they know the Beast is sad
SOMETHING THERE - they already know the Beast & Belle are in love
HUMAN AGAIN - [your reason]
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST - they already know they're in love
A CHANGE IN ME - they arleady know Belle has been changed
MOB SONG - they know Gaston wants to kill the Beast
END DUET - they know Belle doesn't want him to die
BATB (Reprise) - they already know all is well again

Wouldn't it be a really short show?

Yep, maybe they could fill in with songs that matter, and you got to A CHANGE IN ME before I could, everyone in our cast was so angry that I disliked the song.

Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:47 pm

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
on the 2 disc DVD movie, they have a whole bunch of extras, including the original "concept" version of the song, with Ashman and Menken singing all the parts. It's a lot more extended than the song ended up being for the show and movie in the end, and I really like some of the missing parts.. especially the ones that refer to time passing. I always thought the movie was strange for being autumn one day and snowing that night and winter the next day and spring the day after that. I mean, how long could Maurice REALLY survice out in the cold like that? ;) When I heard that original concept version, I wished they had kept some of the stuff in there that ended up being cut. Not all of it, but some.

Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:55 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

As a former Beast I understand why they sing the sone.

The fact is it's Beast's fault that they are the way they are.
Most of the characters are pretty selfish. (maybe not Belle so much)

They all care about Beast deeply and love him otherwise they wouldn't be trying to help him.

True that maybe Lumiere and Cogsworth are slightly more concerned with themselves but nonetheless they care about Beast and are very happy to see him changing his ways and because of this they are going to become "Human Again"

It's very smart the way Ashman and Menken place the song there and the lyrics are very clever. Thought not my favorite song from the show it's still one of the better moments in the show.

MdNs Most Likely to Become President (Superlatives ''''09)
Whatever that means???

I''VE ALWAYS BEEN A CHICAGO GIRL!!

Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:01 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next