The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Chip in the cart? 

We didn't have Chip on a cart at all. We had a very small actress who played Chip and she just walked around with a cup costume. Not just on her head, her whole body. It worked. I'll try and scrounge up a picture.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:27 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

That's how our Chip was too. He had a big wire-frame tea-cup costume and his legs were out the bottom to walk and his head came out the top. Only difficult part was that he couldn't use his arms at all, but most of the characters couldn't. I don't know about other productions but backstage was humorously chaotic with all these "objects" running around with no arms or hands and often with costume pieces too big to fit through doorways.

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:32 pm

I HAD use of my arms, but I was in this big wire/cloth tent thing (I was Cogsworth) and our set had all of these rickety ladders (Which we lovingly called the death ladders) to climb down when you needed to get on/off one of the higher 'rooms' of our set and couldn't use the stair case we had right in front of each room.

During the big "Tale as Old as Time" number, Beast, Lumiere, and I are all up in Beast's room getting him ready, than, he goes down the stairs and dances, the whole number happens, but Lumiere and I are still totally visible. So, we exit using the ladder, which is just barely not visible to the audience. Unfortunately, I started to go down first, but got stuck! The pole that belled out the bottom of my costume (at about my hips) got stuck on the top of the ladder, and the metal pole that was supposed to be just above my shoulders was now pushed right under my chin, choking me!

The guy who played Lumiere kept whispering frantic "Hurry up!" because he we still visible, it took me so long to get free! After that night, I started letting Lumiere go down first.

Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:45 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Our chip was a seventh grade boy (the high school principles son) and he had this lovely cart with fake marble and gold colored trim and all...it was very nice, and we just had him have his teacup head on. Then at the end he changed into blue plants and a light blue shirt to look period appropriate and a little white hat, and that was it for the transformation.

I've seen shows with chip not in the cart, just with a teacup over his head and it looks SO stupid!!!

Plus it makes the line "I'll hop down off this shelf..." make no sense whatsoever. Chip is cuter and overall better left in his cart until the end.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:27 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Our Chip had just a teacup with his face sticking out for act 1. Then in act 2, Chip was in the cart.

Sadly, Mrs. Potts couldn't control the cart with one hand, so we gave Chip the use of her legs, so the cart was basically a pretty decorated box that went over Chip's head and came down to her knees. It was really cool looking.

Last edited by ConverseSneaker on Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:21 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Our Chip had just a teacup with his face sticking out for act 1. Then in act 2, Chip was in the cart.

Ooooo I sort of like that idea, like how they're all gradually becoming more and more like the objects. Cool!

Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:53 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I HATE CHIP IN THE CART!!!!!!!!!!! i'm sry but why can't they just where a cup suit than having to sit in a cart the whole time! my school isn't doing the cart THANK GOD!

woops i lied we did use the Cart. My Bad.

The Phantom Tollbooth- Tock

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:46 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Well, the actor wouldn't be stuck in a cart the whole time. He could come out when he's offstage and during intermission.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:58 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I HATE CHIP IN THE CART!!!!!!!!!!! i'm sry but why can't they just where a cup suit than having to sit in a cart the whole time! my school isn't doing the cart THANK GOD!

That would look dumb to me. I think having Chip in the car makes him appear much younger and just overall carries his character more.

Steward/Ensemble in Anything Goes

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

in my highschool production we have a tiny girl playing chip and she just has a teacup costume - no cart! it looks ok but should be bigger in my opinion as it only covers her torso and she cant use her arms.

Mon May 07, 2007 4:18 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

the version i saw chip was a hand puppet as a tea cup and a person used it while they said the lines and moved the puppets mouth. the actor had a black mask over the eyes and nose on, then at the end she took it off and didn't have the puppet. :mrgreen:

up the down staircase: Harry a. Kagan

oklahoma!:Bill tuner

Pippin:player

hero of the game: older kid on the swing

Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:29 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Chip in the cart?
I played Chip in my school's production last year.

Now, I'm actually 2 years older than the girl who played my mother and a few inches taller, but you never really noticed it. I'm fairly small in the "womanly" department so it was easy to hide those...parts.

My costume was composed of my human clothes-those short knee pants, a collared shirt, bow tie and newsboy cap. For my cup, they made a giant collapsible teacup that had straps to crisscross over my shoulders. It covered my torso, and gave me limited arm movement (I could still move chairs and such).

I also sat on the cart for most of my scenes before the transformations, but danced in BOG and Human Again.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next