The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Chip in the cart? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Chip in the cart?
My cousin just got the role of Chip in a middle school play. He is in 7th grade.

He is really happy to be in his first big play, but a bit bummed because we never saw the play and he did not know he would spend the whole play trapped in a cart?

Does Chip ever come out?

Do productions ever do Chip without the cart?

Isn't it weird for him to come out at the end and he is not a little boy; just the same age as the girl playing Mrs. Potts?

Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:50 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I have heard it done where chip isnt in a cart at all and just has a tea cup on his head. But in most B&TB shows he is in the cart all the way untill the end when he comes out on stage as a real boy.

Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:42 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

in most B&TB shows he is in the cart all the way untill the end when he comes out on stage as a real boy.

That's pretty much what I was going to say. I've only seen BatB twice, but he was in the cart the whole time in both... Until the end.

:mrgreen:

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:06 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

In my sister's productions Chip was played both times by a girl. For her high school show the girl was 14 years old and in her professional show the girl playing Chip was in her early 20's but looked and sounded very young. Both times at the end, a little boy used as a stand in came out after the transformation. However he just lip synched as the girls playing the roles spoke the lines. Perhaps this production your cousin is in might have a younger child stand in for that last scene. In the high school show one of the dancers brothers was the stand in and for the pro show it was the directors son.

As for the cart, in all productions I've seen, as well as on Broadway, Chip remains in the cart until the transformation.

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:57 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

in my production, our Chip stood in a cup the whole time, but wasn't in a cart. She only came out of the cup at the end. I would guess that your cousin would be in the cart for the production, just because that's how most of the shows do it.

Currently:
Bushyhead Group/Townswoman (Oklahoma!)

Past Role:
Madame de la Grande Bouche (Beauty and the Beast)

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:30 pm

My production was high school, and we just brought in a 10-year-old boy as Chip. I've seen another high school production that used a very shapely young woman as Chip and...honestly it just looked awful. lol :lol:

I don't know what your production can do about having him come out at the end, but I doubt it will be a big deal. It's such a short moment at the end when he's not in the cart, and since it's a middle school production it will be understandable. After all, won't Belle and Maurice be the same age too?

Note: this isn't really related, but it's cute. In that high school show I saw, they opted not to have Chip come running out at the end, but instead the girl (dressed in a period little boy's costume) was seated on top of the cart and pushed out of the wings to glide onstage, as though she had been a teacup on the cart and suddenly turned into a real boy. It was adorable.

Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:52 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:06 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

We had a freshman boy who was absolutely adorable play the part of Chip. His voice hadnt really changed yet and he also looks younger then he is so it was perfect. I might be a little biased because this kid is like my little brother. Anyway about the costume he had on a huge cup made of foam and blue pants and a white shirt underneath that were representative of the time period. He added a brown vest when he was transformed into a boy. If you would like to see pictures let me know I have some wheres hes in the cup and others after the transformation but it really looked good. We had some sweet object costumes!! :D

Dream Roles:
Belle, Millie, Reno

Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:04 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I am really bothered by the disembodied head thing. I know it is this way on B'way-and I was bothered by it then too.
We have Chip in a teacup head costume for the first Act (not on cart). In Act II he is in the cart (cut a hole in top), still with face coming out of a teacup but a foam saucer sits on the cart. The actor's torso and arms are free for movement. In the last seen Chip runs out as a complete boy.
Working so far-let you know in a couple of weeks!

Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:57 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I HATE CHIP IN THE CART!!!!!!!!!!! i'm sry but why can't they just where a cup suit than having to sit in a cart the whole time! my school isn't doing the cart THANK GOD!

The Phantom Tollbooth- Tock

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:08 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I was chip without the cart. It was my first play and it was allot of fun.

Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:21 pm
The B&TB that I was in Chip was in the cart the whole way and he came out at the end as the little boy, but there was an age difference between him and Mrs. Potts. If your show is going to be done with people around the same age they may go the tea cup on the head or even a full tea cup costume.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next