The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Movie Wardrobe vs. Mme. de la Grande Bouche 
Post Movie Wardrobe vs. Mme. de la Grande Bouche
Hi! My school this year is doing "Beauty and the Beast" and I've been cast as Mme.de la Grande Bouche. I'm incredibly excited about it, since I've only ever been a chorus memeber before, but I'm also a little worried. I think this is way premature, the cast list only went up on Friday and I haven't even seen the script yet, but I've been reading all these forums that say Mme. de la Grande Bouche is hilarious and such a diva. So here's my query: How different is the movie Wardrobe from Mme.de la Grande Bouche? I can't imagine delivering the movie Wardrobe's lines as an opera diva...I know she does more in the show than in the movie, so maybe that explains it, but does the script lend itself to diva-esque acting more than the movie does?

Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:19 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

yes ma'm... she's an opera star. When Belle first bumps into her, she says her name, like "Madame de la grande bouche, perhaps you've heard of me" then when Belle says no, shes like "they've forgotten all about me, one can be and i quote the toast of europe, the brightest star ever to grace the stage..." Then she tries to pick out a dress for Belle to wear to dinner and finds one and explains that she wore it to the Royal Opera to perform for the king. I'm pretty sure (this is what I'm using for background) that she was performing for the Beast when the Enchantress changed the entire castle into objects, so she's not really a servant but a performer stuck there. The one in the movie seems really caring, but if you watch Human again from the special edition of the movie, you understand the opera side of her:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9IbE1uz-E8

it's really fun to play, once you let loose. :-)

Currently:
Bushyhead Group/Townswoman (Oklahoma!)

Past Role:
Madame de la Grande Bouche (Beauty and the Beast)

Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:08 pm
Post YAY!
Thank you so much!!!! It begins to make sense now... :)

Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:40 pm

Our Wardrobe always played her a little drunk. I mean, the actress wasn't drunk, but she always played Madame as if she was a little tipsy. It wasn't inappropriate, and it wasn't noticable (You wouldn't have said "Wow! She's playing that character drunk!") but it gave a lovely kinda "out of it" livin-in-the-past kind of aura.

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:32 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Movie Wardrobe vs. Mme. de la Grande Bouche
I love that choice, Pappy. I've never seen or thought about Madame being played that way before, but I bet it would work. What are others' thoughts on this?

piratee7 wrote:
I'm pretty sure (this is what I'm using for background) that she was performing for the Beast when the Enchantress changed the entire castle into objects, so she's not really a servant but a performer stuck there. The one in the movie seems really caring, but if you watch Human again from the special edition of the movie, you understand the opera side of her:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9IbE1uz-E8

it's really fun to play, once you let loose. :-)

According to the following article, it would seem book writer Linda Woolverton would agree with you! http://www.elpasotimes.com/living/ci_16724078

Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]