The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Gaston ..any acting tips ? 
Post Gaston ..any acting tips ?
I got the role of gaston and have callbacks on wednesday....i want to know some acting tips on portrayal of his specific character ...im in a highschool play...

any other gastons out there? Or maybe u just know how to portray him and give some gooood tips ?

thanks!

Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:03 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Hope this helps!
Hi!

I've seen the B&B musical several times including the official national tour about 4 or 5 years ago. The way I'd describe Gaston is that he acts like Zapp Brannigan from Futurama except more assertive and mean.

If you need additional there's a segment of a professional production online at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jat5LapPv6c

Unfortunately it's in german and you really need broadband or a really fast internet connection for it to load quickly, but the Gaston portrayal in the video clip is very true to what is done on broadway.

Hope this helps and please let me know what happens!

Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:48 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

work on Posture. It is huge for his role and alot of Gastons dont really change it. HEad and Chin up shoulders down. Umm lets see find a quirk that helps you realte to the charactor. Mine was an Eye Brow that I constantly used when I smile. Now im not saying im perfect but these things helped me stand out I think. Heres is a couple pictures of examples. If you have anymore questions let me know I would love to help.

Eye Brow

Posture:

Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:15 am

Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:14 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

On the line, "Pumpkin, extend with me" make a motion indicating a pregnant belly. A lot of Gastons turn this into a double-entendre that doesn't work with a Disney show, or a silly muscle-extension pose. But the pregnant belly gets a laugh every time i see it.

Very tightly, very soon.
So wave one bachelor goodbye,
She'll be your bride- she'd rather die
Than have her daddy ossify
In my sordid saloon..."

Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:15 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

On the line, "Pumpkin, extend with me" make a motion indicating a pregnant belly. A lot of Gastons turn this into a double-entendre that doesn't work with a Disney show, or a silly muscle-extension pose. But the pregnant belly gets a laugh every time i see it.

For that particular line, I had pulled Belle in real close moments before and forced her to lean outwards at that point while grasping our hands, thus causing our arms to literally extend.

As for general advice, I'll reiterate what was said about posture. That's key.

As much as I hate the thought, the audience sadly also seemed to respond well to overacting. But your casting director (hopefully) might not.

Past Roles:
Gaston in Beauty and the Beast
Marco in Gianni Schicchi
Charles in My Fair Lady

Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:15 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post TO Monsieur d'arque
Hey I'm playing Monsieur d'arque in an upcoming play, does anyone have tips for me?

Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:02 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Current Obsession: Newsies The Musical, Pilgrim
Main Role: Fan
Monsieur D'Arque is THE creepiest character in the show. One way to really make him creepy is to stay bent over when walking. Also, be mindful of how big you gesture or how fast you move. I recommend watching the movie to get a feel for him.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:13 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Les Miserables
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Gaston ..any acting tips ?
It's all in the walk (swagger) and voice! Don't let your voice go to low but keep it rich in tone when speaking. Oh and don't be afraid to watch the cartoon, that's the best thing you can do.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]