The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Calling the young mrs potts!!! Help!!! 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Calling the young mrs potts!!! Help!!!
iv just been cast as mrs potts in a version of B& the B. Im only 17 so am wondering if annyone can help me add a more contemporary feel due to the fact that she is chip's mother, not his grandmother!
Any tips on how to play the part?

Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:58 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Location: where the music sings sweet and my mom has to take me to all my rehearsals
Congrats. I just finished my run. I had such a blast.

My directors didn't give me too much to work with, other than the fact that she's the 'mother figure'. (there were enough dufus-y little middle schoolers that needed hand-holding)

I did notice that she is the most hopeful of all the characters. She's very positive too.

I found that bonding with the 'household' actors helped alot. Lumiere and Cogsworth and the scenes with Mrs Potts have a lot of lines that can be great when timing is on.

Hope that might help a little.

Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:56 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I too am a very young Mrs. Potts. Since I do not by any means look old at all zero...I decided to play my mrs. potts as a younger mother (30's/40's) If you are in the same situation as I (meaning that there is no possible way that you could look/act believably as an old woman...this is a great way out if you can play up her nurturing sweet very warm side. She is a caretaker- nowhere in the show does it say that she is OLD.

If you are going to play it younger make sure that your director is not going to make you put wrinkles and a grey wig on your head though...if he wants you to be old then I suppose that you just need to look at kind old ladies and the disney movie and just try to pick up as much as you can. But if you are playing it younger and have any questions about specific parts of the show I'd be happy to help ya...we open this weekend wish me luck it has certainly been an adventure in a new role.

Best of luck to you,
choochoo

Last edited by choochoo on Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:34 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

good luck with it all and i hope it all goes well. I go into a 13 week rehersal period on monday and your advice and the fact that you are in my shoes and sooo much younger than me (im 18 ) has given me confidence and a bit of relief. I know as as fact that it will not be played grey so thanks for that advice. Keep me in the loop and tell me how your show goes, chookers and luv...
Rosie

Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:08 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Did you have a birthday? In your first post, you're 17, in your last, you're 18. If so, happy belated birthday!

I've had to play older characters too (Selsdon Mowbray in "Noises Off!") and I'm also 18 (17 when I played Selsdon), so I know EXACTLY where you're coming from! Try to look deeper into the character. Mrs. Potts could, arguably, be in her early 30's (just very wise and kind for her age). Speaking slightly slower than the other characters and perhaps slightly deeper than normal can make you appear years older; you can try that. For the singing, you could use less vibrato and brighter tones to make it more contemporary.

Break a leg! You'll do great. :D Let us know how it goes!

Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:51 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Mrs. Potts was my FAVORITE to play! I was 16 when I was her in our high school production!
Liek they said be caring motherly loving and optomistic! It is SO fun! Just have fun with it! I played it as a younger person....i wasn't old and gray at all! *L* my costume was so cool!!! I hope all goes well for you!! Good luck let us know how it goes!!

Past shows- AnnieJr, Annie, The Wizard of Oz x2, OUM, Guys & Dolls, BBBirdie, Seussical, Peter Pan, Chicago, and BATB, Pirates of Penzance, ITW, Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up, Merry Wives of Windsor, Anton in Showbusiness

Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:38 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

i never thought about this before but when you think about it way back when (this is when of my absolute biggest pet peeves musical theatre people make) 30 was much much older. people married & grew up sooo much younger than they do now. considering that chip is what 5 or 6 mrs. potts really probably wouldve only been 30 at most... anyway just thought that was odd considering that mrs. potts is usually played much older. but i hope your younger version went very well :)

Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:18 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Hey, Mrs Potts is a great character to play! I played her and my director wanted a rather old one, I had white hair and every thing. She's a very bubbly character so use all your energy in showing her perkiness. Smile alot but also be gentle, youare a caring mother! When you speak try but bass into your voice so that she sounds older than 16, otheriwse you'lll just sounjd like a 14 year old dressed as a teapot

Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]