Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Vocal Ranges 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Post Re: Vocal Ranges
Beagle On Stage wrote:
CHIP: Soprano (Low F-sharp to High G)
Basic cute little boy soprano. Pretty much midrange, but there is a high G in there, and one guess where the low F-sharp comes in

....where?

Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:48 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Sometimes I look in my mirror and wonder: "Where did I go?"
~Von Krolock - Tanz Der Vampire

Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:37 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Drew Sarich
Main Role: Performer
is High F considered F6 on a piano? I'm not really sure what a high F is, because I can't remember Belle ever singing higher than Christine Daae in POTO, her last E in the title song is apparently an E6 and I've heard it called a High E. I'm not sure, someone please clarify that.

Thank you!

i've never seen the score, but i highly doubt that. its more likely an F5 (the top line in treble cleff)

Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:37 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

The only really high parts that Belle seems to have are the bridges in "Belle" and "Something There" (Oh isn't this amazing/New and a bit alarming, all all the way through those bits) and the last note of "Home" ...not sure what exact key they are, but they seem higher than the rest of her stuff.

Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:50 am
Profile WWW

BelleBelt / soprano (g-f") / young and beautiful / entirely unaware of her looks / strongwilled, adventurous / noble / senstitive and smart / should move well

The Beast

Baritone (Tenor) (A-f') / handsome, large frame / 30's (poss. slightly older) / a tortured soul trapped in the body of a beast / when he meets Belle, she awakens his warm loving human side / should move well

Maurice
Characterbaritone (B-db') (40-60) / a mad professor type / Belle's zany, loveable dad

Gaston
Baritone (Tenor) (A-f') (20-30) / truly believes he's God's gift to women / a large physique with bulging biceps / rude and egomanical / must move well

Lefou
Tenor (Baritone) (B-f#') (20-35) / Gaston's adoring hanger-on buddy / a buffoon / a dim-wit / prat falls, physical comedy / small

Mrs. Potts
Charactersoprano (f#-g") (45-60) / an English teapot / the kind hearted mother figure of the castle household

Lumière
Tenor (A-f#') (25-40) / a candelabra / very French / a young Maurice Chevalier / must move well

Cogsworth
Characterbaritone (A-e') (30-45) / a clock / manic officious English Butler, a little snooty / a heart of gold

Babette
Soprano (c'-d"') (20-30) / a beautiful featherduster / a good dancer and singer / voluptuous and tall

Madame de la Grande BoucheSoprano (c#-f") (40s) / a wardrobe / slightly dotty / over friendly / good operatic voice

Monsieur D'Arque
Tenor (d-a') / character actor / villain / head of the madhouse

Ensemble
Dancers with excellent singing voices
One dancer / acrobat with excellent tumble skills
Singers with excellent dance abilities
All female singers must have soprano voices!

Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:23 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

The female chorus members are all supposed to be sopranos? That doesn't make sense.

And from everything I've heard, Belle, Mrs. Potts, and the Wardrobe are all mezzos...or technically are--they can, of course, be played by a soprano.

Past: Chorus in The Music Man, Gingerbread Child/Angel in Hansel and Gretel, Baobab/Crane/Lamplighter in The Little Prince, Plate/Wolf in BatB.

Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:53 pm

Now...see...the purpose of this thread is to provide the correct information, since there's a bunch of misinformation about it on the internet. Posting incorrect information in the thread is really not helpful. Disregard that post.

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:10 pm

Would it be acceptable for someone playing as the Beast to falsetto the high notes at the end?

I mean, it would be silly to do falsetto while as the Beast, but after the transformation, would it be acceptable, for the Ab?

Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:33 pm

You could probably get away with that if you had to. Or eliminate his harmony part entirely...the guy who played the Beast in my production didn't have the range for that, or the skill to carry a harmony part anyway, so he just sang the melody with Belle. Personally, I'd rather hear that than falsetto. Terrance Mann just does the melody for that part on the OBC...I don't know whether it's because he couldn't, or some other reason.

Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:50 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

anybody know what the REAL vocal ranges are for the Silly Girls? I know that they are technically supposed to be sopranos because they are techically chorus but do they sing lower than that? I thought they would be mezzo, because their part in Belle seems a little lower than soprano.

Fraulein Schneider: Cabaret Forum Cast 08!
Now: Elizabeth Bennett in Pride & Prejudice

Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:16 pm

Post Re: Vocal Ranges
musikal_geek wrote:
Beagle On Stage wrote:
CHIP: Soprano (Low F-sharp to High G)
Basic cute little boy soprano. Pretty much midrange, but there is a high G in there, and one guess where the low F-sharp comes in

....where?

Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:22 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

anybody know what the REAL vocal ranges are for the Silly Girls? I know that they are technically supposed to be sopranos because they are techically chorus but do they sing lower than that? I thought they would be mezzo, because their part in Belle seems a little lower than soprano.

When they sing, there is usually a soprano, a mezzo and an alto part for each girl. They can all be mezzos, but in my production we were a soprano, a mezzo and an alto.

Go me! My thousandth post!

Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next