The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Does Belle need to be a GREAT singer? 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Does Belle need to be a GREAT singer?
So, the community theatre near me is putting on Beauty & the Beast in March and auditions are in January. I would really like to audition for Belle, but my singing voice isn't fantastic. I can sing fine (I'm a mezzo) but I feel that my true strength is acting. What do you all think? If I don't get Belle, I certainly won't be upset. I would love to be in the chorus, too! :) But I just wanted to know if in other productions the person playing Belle had to have this outstanding singing voice. Thanks!

Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:59 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

In my opinion, and from what i've seen (i've seen 5 productions: NY, tour, STL Muny, highschool, and community) Belle needs to have a pretty outstanding voice. A substantial bit of her more important scenes is done in song, and that is what is most rememberable. And after all, it is a musical. Now by no means do you have to sound anything like Susan Egan, but I'd say that a good voice is a must when it comes to belle. Now if you want a role that's more for acting than singing, i'd go for Babette. She's more of a character role than a singing one

Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:01 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Great. Thanks! I was kind of worried about sounding like Belle would. Like, imitating Paige O'Hara or Susan Egan. I saw Ashley Brown's video on broadway.com and she has her own style that's pretty amazing. You guys should check it out!

Oh, and if I wanted a specific chorus role, I would love to be one of the silly girls or a napkin. The costumes are awesome!

Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:04 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Hey, I saw in an old post that you used "Astonishing" for an audition piece. Did you stick with that??

Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:31 pm

I've actually said before that while Belle definitely does have to be able to sing, it's fine if she's just "a good singer." It's great if she's amazing, but I personally don't feel that it requires the perfectly-trained sound you'd think it would.

Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:25 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

ya, i stuck with astonishing. I used the enlast like 18 measures. I only got chorus, but i talked to the director about what could do to improve, and he told me that while there were somethings that i could work on, i was actually considered (and nearly offered) belle, but they ended up deciding that they wanted someone older to play Belle (i'm 17 and most of the cast was in their 30's)

Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:51 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Belle
I would say that Belle has to be a great singer and a great actress. Although the role of the Beast is somewhat more complex than in the film, the story is still primarily told form Belle's point of view in the stage show. The score reflects this structure and unless you have a Belle that can hold the show together, you're sunk.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:18 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Belle's opening song should have the ability to give an audience chills and tell a story before you even see her face. Or at least thats what my director told me. Since Belle has alot of time just standing on stage singing by herself she ought to have a pretty incredible voice.

Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:46 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Still, you know, it doesn't hurt to try out for Belle...don't put yourself down because you don't think you would get it this time--try out for belle, and babette, ok try out for every part hehe
Who knows, maybe the director sees your potential :D

Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]