The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Auditioning for Belle! Help Please!!! 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Auditioning for Belle! Help Please!!!
I would like to audition for Belle in a high school production of Beauty and the Beast, and would like some advice.

I am 16 years old (mezzo soprano), and have never been in a musical before. In a high school production, are there generally more or fewer people auditioning for the lead role than in a play?

Also, what would be a good monologue and don't to audition with? I have seen people suggest "just around the riverbend" from Pocahontas, "God help the outcasts" from the hunchback of Notre Dame and "in my own little corner" from Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella. Are these good choices, or do you have any other suggestions? What should I consider when picking out a song?

I have never done a monologue before. What are some good monologues that show Belle's intellectual side. I would like to do something original, and not overused. Any suggestions?

Finally, I tend to get nervous at auditions. I am fine at performances, when I know that someone decided that I was good enough, but at the audition, I get nervous that everyone will think I am horrible. Are there any songs that work well with nervousness to convey the required emotion? I am just asking because I realise that some songs need a really confident sounding singer, and in some the singer sounds very shy? What are your opinions on this? Despite getting nervous, I love singing and acting because they make me feel more confident, and playing Belle is my dream.

Thank you for taking the time to read and hopefully answer this question!

Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:12 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Jane Eyre
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Auditioning for Belle! Help Please!!!
There will probably be a TON of people auditioning for Belle. Some ideas for audition songs are Somethings Are Meant To Be from Little Women (it got someone on this site the part), Far From The Home I Love From Fiddler On The Roof, Unexpected Song from Song and Dance, or Disneyland from Smile. I cannot think of any 'nervous' songs, but try practicing mindfulness during the audition to settle nerves.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]