The Resource For Musicals

Simply Sondheim Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Profiling the Stars of the 2011 FOLLIES Revival 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Profiling the Stars of the 2011 FOLLIES Revival
The Washington Post is publishing a series of interviews with the stars of Follies this week. First up was Bernadette Peters and the article particularly places emphasis on how working the Sondheim gave her career a focus that it had not had, in spite of her great successes, prior to Sunday in the Park with George. Of her upcoming performance in Follies, she says:

Bernadette Peters wrote:
I usually come to the role through the music... And these songs — ‘Losing My Mind,’ ‘Buddy’s Eyes’ — are really great.... (Sally is) in love with Ben, and you don’t forget your first love.... There’s a reason she’s come back — she’s come to get back the love of her life.... I know he’s not happy with Phyllis. I know it. And I have to appear appealing to him.

While I'm not totally sold on the casting of Peters as Sally, her interview at least makes for an interesting read.

The second profile was about Elaine Paige, who is playing Carlotta. It is not as long or as interesting, with the interview seeming to have been conducted during a quick rehearsal break. The thing that struck me most was just how long she has been around, when it feels like things like Anything Goes and Evita aren't so far back in the recesses of our collection memory.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the profiles. Any thoughts?

Last edited by RainbowJude on Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun May 01, 2011 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Post Re: The WASHINGTON POST Profiles: the Stars of FOLLIES
I hate that Elaine Page is in it. I can't stand her voice. I love Bernadette Peters, though. I'm hoping for a Broadway transfer that last long enough for me to catch it, perhaps next summer?

Thu May 05, 2011 1:59 am

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Main Role: Performer
I really enjoyed both of those articles.

And a Broadway transfer for next summer would be wonderful! Senior trip for the win!?

Sat May 07, 2011 1:12 pm

The Washington Post followed up the two profiles above with articles on Jan Maxwell, Regine (who was replaced for the transfer), Linda Lavin (who also didn't move to Broadway with the production), Terri White and Rosalind Elias. Some of the best quotations from those interviews include the following:

Jan Maxwell wrote:
I really love the idea of being in love with a person who doesn’t love himself. You have to think of the night as a first, as a catharsis.

Terri White wrote:
The phrase, ‘For the love of art’? If you find Art, shoot him.

Rosalind Elias wrote:
Character is very, very important to me. I don’t care if a critic comes and says, ‘Well, she didn’t sound quite right,’ if I feel that the character would have sounded like that. You don’t give out always the most beautiful tones!

Now that the show has transferred, all kinds of other profile type pieces are appearing. Here is one about Jan Maxwell's house (!) from the New York Post.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

High-baritonne wrote:
I hate that Elaine Page is in it. I can't stand her voice. I love Bernadette Peters, though. I'm hoping for a Broadway transfer that last long enough for me to catch it, perhaps next summer?

Although I don't hate Elaine Page, I think the casting of her is a weird choice. I too love Peters, and although I too am unsure she is a Sally, I nevertheless look forward to hearing her in the role.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:54 pm

Hans wrote:
I think the casting of (Elaine Paige) is a weird choice.

I also thought so. It just seemed like such a random choice to me.

Meanwhile, here's another great interview with Rosaline Elias. Some excerpts:

Rosaline Elias wrote:
(Stephen Sondheim is) so different than all composers because of the uniqueness, because of his words in combination — you think he's going to take the music somewhere and he takes it somewhere else. He's pure genius, wonderful.... He was on top of everything and all his critique was perfect. When he would tell somebody to do something, it would always turn out better after they did what he asked.... A lot of "sing it, don't speak it." I noticed he said that a lot. And it turned out better!

There's also some interesting stuff about how she prepared for the role of Heidi - and who knew that she did A Little Night Music in Hawaii?

Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]