The Resource For Musicals

Simply Sondheim Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Sondheim Interview on Musical Cyberspace 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Sondheim Interview on Musical Cyberspace
See what Sondheim has to say about his craft in an interview with American Theatre - brought to you by Musical Cyberspace - the BETTER resource for musicals!

Last edited by RainbowJude on Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: AMERICAN THEATRE Interview with Sondheim
Quote:
It's very unpopular to say, but I don't think that rock lends itself to theatre, to storytelling. It lends itself to concerts, and that's what a lot of musicals are today: concerts. The range of expressivity is very limited, so you're limited to certain kinds of emotions and songs.

I have to say, I do not think this is right at all. Rock has as much potential for emotion, story, character, humour and drama as any other style of music. I think maybe he is forgetting that rock used in musicals is far more complicated and varied and expressive than the type you usually get in rock bands.
But then again, he earlier said:

Quote:
Rock didn't come in until I was in my mid-twenties, so I'm a generation out of it, which is why I don't write it and why it has no meaning to me.

So I would say he simply does not understand rock, and therefore, assumes that it is weak in expression (expressivity is not a word), rather than he simply cannot interpret and/or connect with it as those a decade or more younger can.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:36 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Mungojerrie_rt wrote:
Quote:
It's very unpopular to say, but I don't think that rock lends itself to theatre, to storytelling. It lends itself to concerts, and that's what a lot of musicals are today: concerts. The range of expressivity is very limited, so you're limited to certain kinds of emotions and songs.

I have to say, I do not think this is right at all. Rock has as much potential for emotion, story, character, humour and drama as any other style of music. I think maybe he is forgetting that rock used in musicals is far more complicated and varied and expressive than the type you usually get in rock bands.
But then again, he earlier said:

Quote:
Rock didn't come in until I was in my mid-twenties, so I'm a generation out of it, which is why I don't write it and why it has no meaning to me.

So I would say he simply does not understand rock, and therefore, assumes that it is weak in expression (expressivity is not a word), rather than he simply cannot interpret and/or connect with it as those a decade or more younger can.

I think you misunderstood him. The way I interpret it is that rock does not LEND itself to theatre, not that it is impossible, because ALW and Tim Rice proved him wrong with Jesus Christ Superstar! But how many other musicals have integrated rock with success?

The difference between rock and the monodic style Sondheim uses, is that the monodic sound suits Musical Theatre beautifully, but rock isn't made for musicals. Therefore it is harder to integrate the sound into theatre.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:38 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

High-baritonne wrote:
But how many other musicals have integrated rock with success?

The difference between rock and the monodic style Sondheim uses, is that the monodic sound suits Musical Theatre beautifully, but rock isn't made for musicals. Therefore it is harder to integrate the sound into theatre.

I don't see how any style of music can be more made for musicals than another. The music is made to serve the story. I see no reason one can be said to do this better than another. A few example of other successes:

Evita
Tanz Der Vampire
Elisabeth
Little Shop of Horrors
The Wiz
Paris

Are but a few examples.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]