Simply Sondheim Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Sondheim Show BOOKS 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Main Role: Performer
Post Sondheim Show BOOKS
We all know that Sondheim is one of the most brilliant composers ever, and I've loved many of his songs...however, as I've only seen 6 Sondheim shows in full, I'm not too familiar with the scripts.

If they're anything like ALNM's or Company's books, I want to know some of the best lines from them! To me, a musical's book is just as crucial as the score! So post your favorite lines from a Sondheim show's script, and tell which show has the best book.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:17 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Post Re: Sondheim Show BOOKS
For me, best book is a tossup between Sweeney Todd, Follies, A Little Night Music, and Company. Sunday in the Park with George has a fantastic book, but it has some minor, unavoidable problems in the second act. Assassins is magnificent, Passion is gorgeous on its own, and Into the Woods is very good. Pacific Overtures is solid, but much weaker than the score. The books to Merrily We Roll Along and Anyone Can Whistle are both hot messes.
Oh, and Forum's effing fantastic. As far as Sondheim goes, it's the only case, I believe, that I actually prefer the book to the score (though I love the score).
Only a couple match the score, though. But I think the score can redeem the musical partly (not completely, of course). For example, Merrily's score outweighs its book: the score's great, the book's a mess.

I'll get back to you on the lines though. :)

Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:17 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I don't really like Follies, but I think it is because I have only read the revised script, which everyone seems to loathe. I love A Little Night Music, Assassins, Passion, Into the Woods, Sweeney Todd and Company. I have yet to read Road Show, Anyone Can Whistle, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, Saturday Night, Merrily We Roll Along and The Frogs. Pacific Overtures is okay, but not as good as Sweeney Todd or A Little Night Music. Sunday In the Park With George is brilliant on-stage, but as a book it gets boring.

It is hard to chose favorite lines, but I will get back to you on it.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:06 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal
I think one of my favorite lines from Sweeney Todd is when Sweeney says "At last my arm is complete again!" Even though the line doesn't say much it has great power over the story line and great power in general. It's an iconic saying that everyone in musical theatre should know that it comes from Sweeney Todd.

Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:38 pm

Favorite lines!

A Little Night Music:
Mme. Armfeldt: Never marry a Scandinavian. They are all insane.
--
Mme. Armfeldt: Don't squeeze your bosoms against the chair, dear! It'll stunt their growth, and then where would you be?
--
Mme. Armfeldt: Then be so kind as to repeat yourself. Judging from the level of the conversation so far, you can hardly expect me to have been paying attention.
--
Charlotte: Yes, dear, we're our own zoo. (I don't have the book on me right now, but I LOVE that line and couldn't find it online.)

Company:
Marta: You know what this city is? Where a person can feel it? It's in a person's ass.
--
Amy: A person can't stand all that sweetness, Paul. Nobody human can stand all that everlasting affection!
--
Robert: Amy, Paul can't find his good cufflinks!
Amy: They're on the dresser, right next to my suicide note.
--
Paul: Listen, Amy, married people are no more marriage than musicians are music. Just because some of the people might be wrong doesn't matter. It is still right.
Amy: Yes, well, I'll put that on a sampler, Paul.
--
Robert: Everybody who ever fell in love and got married.
Joanne: I know both couples and they're both

Sunday in the Park with George:
Dennis: I'm going back to NASA. There's just too much pressure in this line of work.
--
Old Lady: Oh, Georgie...how I long for the old view.

Into the Woods:
Cinderella's Prince: I was raised to be charming, not sincere. (One of my favorite quotes EVER. I used it for a project to describe myself once, haha.)
--
Jack's Mother: Children can be very queer about their animals. You be careful with your children.
Baker's Wife: (mournfully) I have no children.
Jack's Mother: That's okay, too.

And last but never least,
Sweeney Todd: At last, my arm is complete again!

*bows*

Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:53 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Since Company is my favorite, here we go:

AMY: "Hi, Bobby, it's Amy. I just called to say that if I'm late for your surprise party tonight please tell Paul I'm running---oh, wait, you're not supposed to know that there's a--- (Panic, as she tries to save herself)Judy? Judy? Oh, goodness, I'm afraid i dialed the wrong number. Sorry. Just ignore this call."

JOANNE: "That is I, Miss. I am very rich and (Indicating Larry) I am married to him, and I'd introduce him, but I forgot his name."

SARAH: "Look at these pants. You can put your fist in there. That's how much weight I've lost."
HARRY: "She always does that. Look, I can put my fist in my pants too, you know."

ROBERT: "(…) And Peter---if you ever decide to leave her---I want to be the first to know."
SUSAN (Smiling at Peter): "Well…"
PETER: "You're the first to know."
SUSAN: "We're getting divorced."

JENNY: "Kiss my ass." (They roar at this) "Kiss my ass, you son of a bitch." (They scream with laughter) "Oh, Jesus. That's three!"

ROBERT: "I just never met anybody like you"
MARTA: "Me neither. You know what this city is? Where a person can feel it? It's in a person's ass. If you're really a part of this city, relaxed, cool and in the whole flow of it, you ass is like this. (She makes a large round circle with her forefinger and thumb) If you're just living here, runnin' around uptight, not really part of this city, your ass is like this. (She tightens the circle to nothing, making a fist)"
ROBERT: "I… hesitate to ask."

AMY: "Paul, see! You don't thank a person for hot orange juice! You slug 'em."

AMY: "Did I ever say I like my friends. I do not. I much prefer my Gentile enemies, at least they leave you alone. And I need to be left alone. I'm just like Robert.
ROBERT: "I'm not like that! What the hell are you talking about?"

Might add more later.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:18 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Let's see some SitPwG and Forum too, men! Hustle! :mrgreen:

Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:25 pm

SLY, I gave you two whole quotes from Sunday! ;)

Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:19 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Ooh, I forgot! Lol, and I loved the NASA one too...

Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]