The Resource For Musicals

Simply Sondheim Forum

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
The A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC Revival Cast Recording 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
I agree that Glynis Johns can be painful to listen to. I prefer listening to Dench and Zeta-Jones.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:27 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Ramona Mallory was one of the best parts of the entire revival when I saw it. She was hilarious, and her equal use of head voice, belt and mix was effing flawless. Girl has a big career ahead of her, AND, on top of everything, her mother originated the role on Bway.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:39 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
She was hilarious, and her equal use of head voice, belt and mix was effing flawless.

I'm glad you said so. I agree.

HB- saying that people on the OBCR can sing and act implies that the revival cast is not doing both of those things. I hardly think it's fair of you to say so, as being in Norway, I doubt you've seen the cast. And not having been born yet, you did not see the original cast either. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but I don't find yours a well-informed arguement.
UI'd also be curious to know what Sondheim thinks of the revival cast, since he might have wanted Glynis Johns to play desiree in 1973 and sound a certain way then, but that was a long time ago. Styles and tastes can change.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:26 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Thos who like the OBCR, what's so great about it?

That's a very difficult question to answer, since I can't think of anything that is not sensational about it, exept perhaps the exclusion of Fredrik's spoken passage before the last verse in Clowns.

I have no idea how it can be painful listening to Johns' Clowns, as it is only matched by that of Dench as far as I can judge.

The OBCR redefines definitive as cast recordings and performances go.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:03 am

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Main Role: Performer
I agree with Hans--the OBC is just definitive. You just can't beat it.

Every single performance on the OBC is just flawless. Victoria Mallory's (Anne) voice is pure and beautiful and she brings a charm to every song she sings. Len Cariou's Fredrik is great, and it's interesting to see the same actor who originated Sweeney Todd do two such different roles and rock them both. Mark Lambert's Henrik remains unsurpassed, and his "Later" is something to die for. Patricia Elliott's Charlotte is heartbreaking in her "Every Day a Little Death." "A Weekend in the Country" is easily one of the most thrilling songs in Sondheim's canon, and its performance on this recording is, in my opinion, the best one. OH MY GOD and Laurence Guittard's "In Praise of Women" will knock your socks off. If anything, Glynis Johns and Hermione Gingold can be the only questionable ones, but even then, Johns owns "Send in the Clowns" and has such a hilarious part in "You Must Meet My Wife" that CZJ just didn't get, and Gingold's "Liaisons" is pretty damn awesome.
All that said, the orchestrations are gorgeous, they're some of my favorite Tunick orchestrations--and that's saying a lot. This is truly a case where everybody was spoiled with a perfect original recording and everything else doesn't measure up.

Plus the album cover's better. :P

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:26 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

HB- saying that people on the OBCR can sing and act implies that the revival cast is not doing both of those things. I hardly think it's fair of you to say so, as being in Norway, I doubt you've seen the cast. And not having been born yet, you did not see the original cast either. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but I don't find yours a well-informed arguement.
UI'd also be curious to know what Sondheim thinks of the revival cast, since he might have wanted Glynis Johns to play desiree in 1973 and sound a certain way then, but that was a long time ago. Styles and tastes can change.

Therefore I judge the actors based on the recordings. The Original Broadway Cast Recording is overall better in my opinion. I have also stated what I think about the Revival Cast Members on the First Page of this thread. I am sorry that my reply was so short and not thought out, I was in a hurry, and should not have posted it without better support. Hans and Disney-Bway27 explains my sentiments.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:34 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I hardly think it's fair of you to say so, as being in Norway, I doubt you've seen the cast.

HaHA! Although being in Norway, I actually saw this cast. I'm not saying it was awful, and Lansbury was fantastic. But judging by the OBCR, that production was better. Even if it had not been a better production, the OBCR is a better recording than the revival. The OBCR is tighter, better sung and acted, has better orchestrations, and frankly, those snippets of dialogue included in the revival recording makes the show sound really boring.

Disney-Bway27 wrote:
If anything, Glynis Johns and Hermione Gingold can be the only questionable ones [...]

I really don't understand how those are even marginally questionable? Both are are doing legendary jobs there!

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:02 am

Oh, I agree. :) And I love both performances dearly, but I can see how they might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:55 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Ramona Mallory was one of the best parts of the entire revival when I saw it.

When I saw it, she was like she is on the recording, i.e. not good. Hysterical from start to finish. And she who plays Charlotte is just wrong in her direction.

Formerly known as Dvarg

Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:31 am

I haven't seen the production, but I just HATEHATEHATE the Henrik in the revival. It's just awful.
Am I alone in this? I'm not crazy about Ramona Mallory (I love that her mother originated the role though, and did so brilliantly) but that Henrik is just... ](*,)

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:54 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Really? I actually liked his Henrick! There were some parts of Ramona Mallory's performance that annoyed me but I thought she did a splendid job. The whole cast was great. But there is definitely something special and definitive about the original cast.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2