The Resource For Musicals

Simply Sondheim Forum

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC Revival Cast Recording 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post The A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC Revival Cast Recording
From Playbill: there will be a cast recording for this production and it will be recorded on 4 January 2010. Part of me does kinda wish the orchestrations were a little bigger, but... I'll probably get it as soon as I can after its released.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:59 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Falsettos (forever), Avenue Q, The Scottsboro Boys
Main Role: Performer
I just really wanna hear Lansburys Liasons, i heard amazing

Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:06 pm

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post The A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC Revival Cast Recording
The cast recording is out next month: 2 discs, lots of dialogue and more players in the band.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:14 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: The A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC Revival Cast Recording
RainbowJude wrote:
The cast recording is out next month: 2 discs, lots of dialogue and more players in the band.

I'm looking MUCH forward to this. But I'm disappointed the double set doesn't include the cut songs as a bonus :cry:

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:48 am

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Seriously. Can't wait.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:16 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
I'm going to be in New York for the release!! (I see the show the next day). Pretty cool.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:26 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

This productions cast recording is just awful!

The rearranged orchestrations sounds modern, fresh and new, which they never should in a musical set at the turn of the 20th century! Most songs sound computerized with the same default instruments used in such notations programs like "Sibelius" and "Finale". This is especially notable in "Now" and "Soon".

As for the actors, a profession title most of these cast members does not deserve according to this recording. I'll do the actors in the order they are presented on the official site:

Catherine-Zeta Jones:
Does a decent job on this recording. I wish though, that she wouldn't sing so "pretty". I cannot decide whether she is trying to act or if she is just being herself. I am surprised though, because her acting and singing in Chicago was lovely and she really captured her character, on this recording though, she sounds like she is having a hard time deciding if she should sing the songs or act them. My honest opinion is that, although she did a great job in Chicago, Sondheim is not for her.

Angela Lansbury:
Of course I don't have much to say about her, I am not a good complimenter, but she is as usual doing a great job!

Alexander Hanson:
Is the only one who acts more than he sings, which is often what Sondheim call for. Seeing the Director in this production could never make up his mine for whether the focus should be on acting or "popifying" Sondheim. Hanson however does his job, and he is a great Frederik, although he is a little sharp.

Aaron Lazar:
A good actor who does a decent job, it could be better, but as I keep saying, the director…

Erin Davie:
This woman here is horrible. I cannot understand how a woman like her has made it on Broadway. She pretends to sing, and doesn't care much for acting except in the first bridge of "Every Day a Little Death". Her voice is squealing and she has an awful vibrato. I have very little nice things to say about her butchering of such a fine role, but I cannot blame this all on her, seeing that there is a noticeable pattern of bad directing here. As previously stated, the director it seems is trying to popify Sondheim.

Leigh Ann Larkin:
A fine Petra. She has her moments when she start to "sing" where she should not like the second part of "Weekend In the Country", other than that I find her very charming and she fills her character wonderful, at least on recording.

Hunter Ryan Herdlicka:
He is the same as Larkin. He is good, but has some "singing" moments that feel out of place. For the most part he is able to sing pretty while still being in character.

Ramona Mallory:
I have nothing to say. She has not one good moment on this entire recording, only overacting and horrible "pretty" singing.

Keaton Whittaker:
Sounds like a brat. She has a good voice, and good acting chops, but I think she is very miscast. But seeing the director wants everything popifyed I am not surprised that she has the usual "pop" voice that seems to take over Broadway. It saddens me.

The quintet:
Is decent. They have some awkward singing moments, most notably the "la-la-la"'s in "Glamourous Life" where they seem to be panting between each "la". I do not understand if this is supposed to be an "artistic" effect or if it is just bad singing, because no-one who is trained in song should have problems with the "la-la-la"'s of "Glamourous Life".

All in all I think most of the faults lie on bad casting choices and horrible direction. I cannot stress this enough! I am sorry that such a wonderful show could come to this. It truly saddens me to see how Broadway has become so "popular" that we do not get proper actors and directors these days.

Mon May 17, 2010 5:50 am

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
I just tried listening to this CD at an FYE, an it sounded really spacey/echo-y. Is that how the recording is, or was it because of something in the store? I haven't had the chance to try listening online (can't at work).
I just saw the production in NY tuesday, and it's interesting to note the critiques of the recording, because I ddn't find any of the bad stuff mentioned in the actual performances. Perhaps they made the recording too soon, and have settled more into the roles? I was very pleased with how 'classical' everything sounded. I think I heard two scooped notes during the entire show. I can actually think of exactly when they were too, because it caught me off guard, having heard such pure classical singing for most of the show.
I must buy A recording soon, but I'm still not sure if it will be this one.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:01 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I must buy A recording soon, but I'm still not sure if it will be this one.

No, it has to be tghe obcr. It is brilliant.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:13 pm

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Definitely get the OBC, Brig. It's peerless.

The revival recording is a pretty big disappointment for me. CZJ is fine, Lansbury's pretty good (not her level best, but still a decent performance). Not crazy about Hanson as Fredrik, and Anne and Henrik are AWFUL.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:21 am

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
Well, I listened to clips of both online and... Desiree on the OBCR... wth? I really can't stand listening to her. it was painful. I think for that reason alone I have to get the revival. at least for now. Probably later I'll get both.
I saw Herdlicka and Mallory last week and liked them just fine. so I think I would like the revival recording.
Thos who like the OBCR, what's so great about it?

Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:33 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The people on the Original Broadway Cast Recording can sing and act. The orchestrations are magnificent. Even though you may dislike the Desiree, she is how Sondheim wanted her to be, so that should be a good reason to actually get the Original Recording.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next