The Resource For Musicals

Simply Sondheim Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Bernadette Peters, Broadway Barks and FOLLIES 

Would you like to see Bernadette Peters in FOLLIES?
Yes, she'd be perfect as Sally. 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
Yes, but in another role. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No, not at all. 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

Bernadette Peters, Broadway Barks and FOLLIES 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Bernadette Peters, Broadway Barks and FOLLIES
Bernadette Peters recently did a concert for Broadway Barks, during which she performed selections from Into the Woods with Mary Tyler Moore playing the Narrator and some Sondheim songs that are new to her repertoire. There's a lovely descriptive review of the evening over at Playbill. And how stunning does Peters look in this dress:

Image Image

Just gorgeous! Anyway, the most interesting quote in the article reads as follows:

Andrew Gans at Playbill wrote:
On Monday evening her performances of "In Buddy's Eyes" and "Losing My Mind" were so revelatory that someone needs to mount a production of Follies so that Peters can work similar magic in the role of the former follies star, Sally Durant Plummer.

There seem to be many who agree with him, although there are dissenting voices amongst the masses. I'd certainly like to see her give it a shot, and rumour has it that this might actually happen at the Kennedy Center in 2011. But the casting of the other three principles would have to be balanced in relation to the casting of Peters, as would that of the supporting cast in relation to Buddy, Ben, Sally and Phyllis.

Later days
David

Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think she'd be good. Not quite sure if she's frumpy enough for Sally ("fat, turning gray") but there's always makeup.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:07 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I agree....she looks so good and she's so sophisticated. I would think of her more as a Phyllis with a sassy "The Story of Lucy and Jessie". But Sally has the better songs and Bernadette could put so much emotion in them. (I love Bernadette's "Time Heals Everything" from Mack and Mable. I'm sure her "In Buddy's Eyes", "Too Many Mornings" and "Losing My Mind" would be stellar. I would have loved to hear her interpretations!

Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]