The Resource For Musicals

Simply Sondheim Forum

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC Revival Photos and Artwork Thread 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post The A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC Revival Photos and Artwork Thread
There's a gallery of photos up at Playbill.

I must say that I do like the look of this company very much indeed. What's perhaps more fun than these photographs is the fact that there are interviews with Angela Lansbury and Catherine Zeta-Jones from this event on video at BroadwayWorld.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:48 pm
Profile WWW

Main Role: Fan

http://www.playbill.com/playblog/?p=2406

http://bestpicturenoms.wordpress.com/

Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:25 pm
Profile WWW

Post A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC Playbill Cover
The playbill cover makes it look very much like a typical British revival by Trevor Nunn. :P

Last edited by RainbowJude on Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:54 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Playbill Cover
RainbowJude wrote:
The playbill cover makes it look very much like a typical British revival by Trevor Nunn.

I think it's ugly :(

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:38 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Parade
Main Role: Performer
It reminds me superficially of the album cover for Anna Karenina:

http://castalbumcollector.com/recordings/5067

Silhouettes and sunset and whatnot.

Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:04 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'm so unbelievably excited for this production even though I have almost no chance of seeing it.

Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:05 pm

Post A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC Art Work
Dvarg wrote:
I think it's ugly :(

It is - especially considering that this is the fourth iteration we've had of artwork for the Broadway revival. Let's have a look at how we got here. The first two are not so bad, although I'm not crazy about the slip or the way the three names seem to be encroaching on the image. Then we went down to two names and the logo, my favourite of these (if I have to have one):

Now we have this, which looks like it could have been put together by just about anyone - and which might be a lovely poster for a high school or community theatre production. And I know this is just my perspective, but the moon looks back to front to me.

Oh well, if the production is as brilliant as I hope it will be - who cares if the artwork sucks? Except that it will be emblazoned on the cover of the cast recording for all time. Just to be completely obscene, let's have a look at the billboard. It looks a bit better up there in the sky, doesn't it? There is one that has the faces of the two stars on either side too and I guess this one will be a major selling point for people who aren't familiar with the show. Either way... it's still not great artwork.

For cross-reference purposes, these were the designs for the same production when it played in London:

I really despise the first one, and think its far worse than any of those posted above. I really like the second one - it's lovely. Birch trees are much more appropriate than fir trees for this show anyway.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:42 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal
The moon definitely needs to be on the left side facing the center, not on the right side. It just looks backwards and awkward.

Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:32 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Am I... the only one who's not looking forward to this production?

Angela Lansbury and Catherine Zeta Jones are both amazing, I love them, but I just don't think that either of them are right for those roles.

Angela Lansbury's personality is too angular for Madame A... her personality is not plummy enough. Sondheim once said that when Ingmar Bergman saw the show, he said "That Hermione Gingold... she sure knows how to f*ck the audience!" That's just not Angela Lansbury at all.

And Catherine Zeta Jones is just too young. Desiree is supposed to be a grand dame who is getting up there in years, but is charismatic enough to be competition for a gorgeous 18-year-old girl. She looks great for her age, but she feels old next to Anne. Catherine looks hot for ANY age, and I couldn't imagine any guy choosing some wimpy teenager over her. I just don't think that, at this point, I could believe her as an older woman who's losing her timing.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:16 pm

Post A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC Stage Door Photos
Mama Rose wrote:
Am I the only one who's not looking forward to this production? Angela Lansbury... (is not) right for (the) roles. Angela Lansbury's personality is too angular for Madame A. Her personality is not plummy enough.

I don't know, but I for one would not at all be interested in a revival at this time that didn't have Angela Lansbury in the role. Well, a lot less interested anyway. Why does the role always have to be played the way Hermione Gingold played it anyway?

At any rate, this is the artwork and photograph thread, so let's get back on topic. There is a series of photos from the stage door up at BroadwayWorld. A glamorous life, indeed.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:05 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Angela Lansbury's personality is too angular for Madame A... her personality is not plummy enough. Sondheim once said that when Ingmar Bergman saw the show, he said "That Hermione Gingold... she sure knows how to f*ck the audience!" That's just not Angela Lansbury at all.

Well, bear in mind that Angela also played Madame Arcati in BLITHE SPIRIT, which is a very Gingold-esque role, and did extremely well. Plus, it's not like Madame Armfeldt has a great deal of stage time. Plus, she sings the most exhaustingly plodding song in the show.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:40 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Main Role: Performer
I love Liaisons...exhaustingly plodding? Yeah. Awesome? Double yes. Sung by Angie? Triple yes.

Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next