The Resource For Musicals

Simply Sondheim Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Just cast as Fosca in Passion 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Just cast as Fosca in Passion
I am sooooooo excited :lol: and sooooo terrified :? to play this role. Couple questions for those who are familiar with the show:

1. How important is it to "ugly myself up" for this show? The group I am performing this with does musicals in concert. It is less about the "look" and more about voice and acting and performance. We will have a week to rehearse and will perform with binders. I have been called "cute" and some people think I am "hot" (my husband!) but I do not have conventional good looks. So, for a concert show, is that enough? Or would it be weird to still look like me and have people refer to Fosca and gross and ugly? How far should I go in making myself look like Fosca? Any ideas?
2. This is a really really tricky acting role. I heard that in either the original London or Broadway show (both with incredibly talented actresses in this role, and despite critical acclaim) some early audiences giggled a bit at Fosca. I worry that she can come across as melodramatic and crazy. On the other hand, I am worried that playing her too low key will miss the mark. Any advice? I am doing character research on her. At heart, I believe she is utterly and completely lonely and terrified of what will happen to her after she dies. She truly believes that she and Georgio are destined to be together - they are soul mates. Any ideas on how to make all this more believable and her more human and less wacky?
3. I have yet to see the sheet music for the version we are doing. Does anyone know whether the song keys were lowered for Broadway? Sure sounds like Donna Murphy is singing quite low.

Thanks!

Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:38 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

In the music, Fosca sings down to a Low F (below Middle C).

Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:18 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
What song did you use for your audition, out of curiosity?

RE: Uglyness, I think you should at least look a little sickly.

Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]