I am! 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
I'm not! 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 5

SONDHEIM ON SONDHEIM 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post SONDHEIM ON SONDHEIM
So the project that was once iSondheim will now be presented by Roundabout as Sondheim on Sondheim. Conceived and directed by James Lapine, the show will star Barbara Cook, Vanessa Williams, Michael Arden and Leslie Kritzer. What's rather annoying is that Roundabout is trying to market the show as a 'new original Broadway musical'. It's not one: it's a revue and, even though I'm a huge Sondheim fan, I'm not particularly interested in seeing yet another Sondheim revue that basically sounds like an update on Side by Side by Sondheim. Anyway, the current poster art can be seen by following the link above.

DECEMBER 1 UPDATE: The second piece of poster for this production, featuring Sondheim himself as a part of the poster art, can be seen here.

DECEMBER 9 UPDATE: Casting news - Michael Arden is out, Tom Wopat, Norm Lewis, Euan Morton and Matthew Scott are in.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:32 am, edited 5 times in total.

Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:52 am
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
Hmmm. I'm sorry if I offend any "Malicious Sondheimists" out there but this whole thing rubs me the wrong way.

And I can't think of many Sondheim songs that would benefit from new arrangements. I was watching Sweeney Todd last night and thought to myself, "OMG, they touch these orchestrations and I will lose ALL faith." What's with this trend nowadays where everything original is "old and boring." Why not remeber/showcase his work as it was when it was at its peak and in its acclaimed original form?

As much as it may seem I'm the biggest purist who's ever lived, I'm not. You won't believe how much I welcome change but it just so happens, nowadays, they're changing everything that didn't need change in the first place. It's done for the wrong reasons and as a result, the art suffers.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:38 pm

Post SONDHEIM ON SONDHEIM Photographs
Quique wrote:
Hmmm. I'm sorry if I offend any "Malicious Sondheimists" out there but this whole thing rubs me the wrong way.

I'm pretty much in absolute agreement with you, though I'd like to see the interview footage.

As for the production itself: photographs have been released and can be seen here.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:12 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I've seen the show twice and I love it. It introduced me to a number of songs I didn't know before and i thought it was very clever how Sondheim spoke throughout the show via a monitor of pre-taped footage. Hearing certain sound clips before certain songs changed the meaning of the song and how it related to Sondheims life. I thought it was quite smart.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:45 pm

Post SONDHEIM ON SONDHEIM Video
Here's an interview about the show (and Ugly Betty) with Vanessa Williams from Good Morning America. Light and frothy stuff.

Also available is a video montage of the show, albeit one that didn't do much to boost my enthusiasm for the show[/url]. Quique, watch this at your own risk: I think your fears for the new arrangements have all been realised in the show... small, rather tinny and unsatisfying on the whole - all right for a revue, I suppose, not a patch on the originals.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:15 am
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan

Ah well, AT LEAST, they didn't completely reorchestrate the show a la-Les Mis, trashing it's original sound and character and replacing it with something so loud, bombastic, cold, and movie-scorish.

And when I could hear something more than piano, it sounded worse. Especially in "Epiphany."

My sis was with me and she thought it sounded "nice." She then said I'm way picky and strange, lol.

Ah, some people don't get it. It isn't that there isn't a symphony orchestra, it's the emotional power that comes with the original arrangement and a standard orchestra that is so effective, you could only wonder what could have been. And when an orchestra is reduced to sub-standard size in a larger theatre and it's to play songs with scores such as these, I can't help but feel it's money driven and that angers me.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:34 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Main Role: Performer
I've decided to review the numbers, just as the blogger who posted the montage did. This is very exciting for me...I feel professional! lol

~OPENING...I love the overture they play through this, even if the orchestra is a small one. The performers look really into it, which is great, and forget about those screens. They look incredible and give everything such a fresh flavor.

~LOSING MY MIND, NOT A DAY GOES BY...Two of my favorite songs in the Sondheim canon, sung by two very worthy leading ladies. The blogger wasn't too fond of this, but I liked it. Yes, it does sound a bit unharmonic at times, but the final bit (Or am I losing, I want day after day) is quite lovely.

~AH, BUT UNDERNEATH...Great song. I agree with the blogger that Williams is far more suited to this than the rapping Witch. The strip is well done.

~YOU COULD DRIVE A PERSON CRAZY...Barbara Cook and Tom Wopat are cute, but I resent this song being sung by anyone other than three ladies. Don't even get me started with Putting It Together's "I Could Drive a Person Crazy." Oh, biases! However, I must say that I loved the "Barbara, Barbara, Barbara" part replacing the Bobby's in the song.

~SEND IN THE CLOWNS...Ironic, considering that Cook would be Mme Armfeldt material if she were that type of actress. However, the song is indeed beautifully sung. These days, you need "Sondheim divas" for this song, and Cook fits the bill nicely.

~OLD FRIENDS...So much love, probably the best part of the montage. The chorus sounds great, and the screen behind them during the number is just an epic win. It's fun to pick out the familiar faces.

~IN BUDDY'S EYES...It's remarkable that Barbara Cook's voice is still so pretty. Perhaps she can't be Cunegonde anymore, but she doesn't need to be. As the blogger said, this number is perfect for Cook at this point in her life, and I consider her rendition of the song to be definitive. I should add that the soft-vibrato-filled "Barbara Cook note" pops up here!

~SUNDAY...The screens with the flower petals are absolutely gorgeous. I wish this part of the montage had played to the song's final climax, however, since it is such a triumphant moment. Nonetheless, it's still very musically solid.

~EPIPHANY...Watching Sondheim dissect the number on the screens is so fascinating. Although I think Tom Wopat's performance is good, it is hard to really get the full feel of this song out of context. However, I do much appreciate that they threw in the factory whistle at the end!

Mon May 10, 2010 5:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]