Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Main Role: Performer

Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:39 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Re: Zeta-Jones and Sondheim
TylerMcMahon wrote:
Zeta-Jones and Sondheim. What do we all think??

Matthew wrote:

Set_Buildin_Dad wrote:
If anything I'd be tempted to lock the other thread. It has such a descriptive title that will allow people to search for the topic. For now I will leave them both open.

I'm going to chime in with the old chestnut everyone expects from me. None of this would be a problem if (a) people did a quick search before they posted; (b) people titled their threads in an appropriately descriptive way (which has since been corrected); and (c) if people posted news in the appropriate forums, whether this might be a show/composer specific forum (in this case, "Simply Sondheim") or one of the general musical theatre related boards ("The Stage Door", "Other Current Broadway & West End Shows", "Other Shows" etc).

I know the counter-argument for this is that the other boards aren't always busy enough, but this is a self-perpetuating problem. If the appropriate boards are used by everyone, as intended, then they will be visited by those people that are genuinely interested in musical theatre, which is why people should be here in the first place.

If this site was meant to be a place where everything is posted on one board, the various other boards would not exist. The bottom line is that the Social Forum has not been the Miscellaneous Forum for a very long time now and it is intended for off-topic threads and things like polls that encompass all of musical theatre and therefore do not fit in any other place.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:38 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Where does this stupid phrase come from, and why does everybody say it?

Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:18 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer

I'm not entirely sure, but a quick Google search does show a country song by Trace Adkins called Fightin' Words that was released in his 2006 album... so maybe from him?

Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:52 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

RainbowJude wrote:
TylerMcMahon wrote:

Matthew wrote:

Set_Buildin_Dad wrote:
If anything I'd be tempted to lock the other thread. It has such a descriptive title that will allow people to search for the topic. For now I will leave them both open.

I'm going to chime in with the old chestnut everyone expects from me. None of this would be a problem if (a) people did a quick search before they posted; (b) people titled their threads in an appropriately descriptive way (which has since been corrected); and (c) if people posted news in the appropriate forums, whether this might be a show/composer specific forum (in this case, "Simply Sondheim") or one of the general musical theatre related boards ("The Stage Door", "Other Current Broadway & West End Shows", "Other Shows" etc).

I know the counter-argument for this is that the other boards aren't always busy enough, but this is a self-perpetuating problem. If the appropriate boards are used by everyone, as intended, then they will be visited by those people that are genuinely interested in musical theatre, which is why people should be here in the first place.

If this site was meant to be a place where everything is posted on one board, the various other boards would not exist. The bottom line is that the Social Forum has not been the Miscellaneous Forum for a very long time now and it is intended for off-topic threads and things like polls that encompass all of musical theatre and therefore do not fit in any other place.

Later days
David

=D>

Oh, and "Them's fightin' words" is very old. Even in the old Loony Toons

Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:42 pm

RainbowJude wrote:
TylerMcMahon wrote:

Matthew wrote:

Set_Buildin_Dad wrote:

Later days
David

This is a problem if I've ever seen one.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:45 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Sondheim is such a great composer. I bought the soundtrack to Gypsy when I was 17. The other night in Nashville, I sang Let me Entertain you in a karaoke bar.

Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:10 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Zeta-Jones and Sondheim: NYT Interview
Here's an entertaining interview with Catherine Zeta-Jones courtesy of The New York Times: Send in the Song-and-Dance Gal.

Zeta-Jones:There’s no jazzy hands, no high kicks, no fishnet stockings, but really that’s what excited me. With most musicals you have to fill in the gaps, but here you have what’s already a beautiful Chekhovian play, and the music is a bonus. The characterization is everything. It's not one of those shows where you can dig about three inches and come out the other end. You can keep digging and digging and digging.

There's also some interesting stuff where Nunn justifies casting a younger Desiree as in the film, Smiles of a Summer Night. Enjoy it!

Last edited by RainbowJude on Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:13 pm
Profile WWW

Main Role: Fan

I get more and more eager to see this every day!!!

http://bestpicturenoms.wordpress.com/

Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:02 pm
Profile WWW

Hopefully others will follow her enthusiasm for the show's different style, and this will help start a rennaissance where more serious, legit material is valued, and we can start moving away from the, as she puts it, high kicks and fishnet stockings.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:01 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It looks like they're doing what the recent London revival did, ie cast the roles more age-appropriate to the source film.

A Little Night Music is not a rehashing of Smiles of a Summer Night. The two are entirely different entities --- Desiree is not the same character in both versions of the story.

In the musical, Desiree is supposed to be a glamorous actress who is past her prime. She feels old next to Anne.The whole point is that she's this great actress who's lost her timing. I agree with Salome. Catherine Zeta Jones isn't quite there yet.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2