The Resource For Musicals



Simply Sondheim Forum


Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Least Favorite Sondheim Show 
Author Message
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:07 pm
Posts: 11297
Main Role: Performer
Post 
I agree with you about WSS. I think the only two songs of his that have great lyrics are America 9film version) and Gee Officer Krupke.

Gypsy i disagree. I think most of his lyrics are wonderful (except All I need is teh Girl and little lamb).

Together has the internal rhyme that made Cole Porter applaude .. "no fits no fights no feuds and no egos..amigos! together!"

_________________
Image[/quote]


Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:38 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:26 am
Posts: 1147
Location: Australia
Current Obsession: next to normal
Post 
actor wrote:
whenever he is asked to write the lyrics for a show and not the music he falls a little flat.


Well also consider they were also his first projects..


Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:50 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:05 pm
Posts: 1609
Location: Eastern U.S.
Post 
actor wrote:
I think his lyrics for West Side Story and Gypsy are only OK (Gypsy's are slightly better than West Side Story's though)


I think that's mainly because Styne wrote better melodies than Bernstein.

_________________
Brian aka Apples2for10

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective


Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:42 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:29 am
Posts: 1854
Location: New York
Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Main Role: Performer
Post 
Salome wrote:
The Frogs is very strong..and carries a great political message that must not be ignored.


Oh yes, I definitely give it credit for that and appreciate it for what it is. I just prefer Follies, Sweeney, Company, ALNM, etc. when it comes to the music.

_________________
"Ms. Darbus" in Disney's High School Musical, "Margot Frank" in The Diary of Anne Frank, "Princess Number Twelve" in Once Upon a Mattress, ensembles of Cinderella, The Music Man, and Sweeney Todd


Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:40 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 8:33 am
Posts: 3056
Location: Musical Cyberspace
Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post PASSION
Salome wrote:
Passion to me is rather Passionless.

Passion is an emotionally complex show, dealing with mature themes using a stunning score that is by turns beautiful and haunting. It's great. Full stop. Argument over.

_________________
Image
VISIT MUSICAL CYBERSPACE: A TRIBUTE TO THE MUSICALS OF BROADWAY AND BEYOND.


Last edited by RainbowJude on Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:47 am, edited 3 times in total.



Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:22 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:43 pm
Posts: 22
Post Re: PASSION
RainbowJude wrote:
Salome wrote:
Passion to me is rather Passionless.


Then either (a) you've never seen it, or (b) you've never actually tried to engage with it, or (c) you have your own emotional issues that won't let you engage with it.

Because Passion is an emotionally complex show, dealing with mature themes using a stunning score that is by turns beautiful and haunting.

It's great. Full stop. Argument over.

Later days
David


Passion's a very well-written, well-constructed show.
It is also, like many of Sondheim's shows, a particular taste.

I can't say I enjoy watching it the same way I do A Little Night Music or Sweeney, but I have full appreciation for it.

Watching the original production makes me cringe, however. Shea was not, in my opinion, good for the role. Murphy and Mazzie outshine him effortlessly. I think that alone is enough to give it a bad name.

EDIT: I'll also mention that Saturday Night is my guilty pleasure...I saw the production in London recently having heard none of the music, ever, and thought it was charming.


Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:00 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 pm
Posts: 774
Location: Littleton, CO
Current Obsession: Big Band Jazz; Acting for the camera; Doctor Who
Main Role: Performer
Post 
Personally, I'd have to say that Do I Hear a Waltz is probably my least favorite show that Sondheim was involved in. "Stay" is the only song that I enjoy at all.

As far as shows that he wrote music and lyrics for, it's hard to say. I'd probably have to say Forum, as it's just not a show that I've ever really connected with.

I also don't care for Bounce...however, I'm looking forward to the re-worked version (Road Show) of which the cast recording is being released next week.

_________________
AKA - djcobra, AKA - David

Founding member - Glee Club of the Damned

"He prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All." - The Doctor

"Amelia Pond...get your coat!" - The Doctor


Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:43 pm
Posts: 22
Post 
Amen to Do I Hear A Waltz?, that was definitely a mistake.

I liked Road Show, very much. Without even bringing into account the reworked material, phenomenal performances there. I'm waiting very impatiently for the recording, I have been since I saw in in December =]


Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:19 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:26 am
Posts: 1147
Location: Australia
Current Obsession: next to normal
Post 
jfmillet wrote:
Personally, I'd have to say that Do I Hear a Waltz is probably my least favorite show that Sondheim was involved in. "Stay" is the only song that I enjoy at all.

As far as shows that he wrote music and lyrics for, it's hard to say. I'd probably have to say Forum, as it's just not a show that I've ever really connected with.

I also don't care for Bounce...however, I'm looking forward to the re-worked version (Road Show) of which the cast recording is being released next week.


You can already order the Road Show cast album from PSclassics and it will apparently be shipping in a day or two.


Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:56 am
Profile
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:07 pm
Posts: 11297
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: PASSION
missannes wrote:
RainbowJude wrote:
Salome wrote:
Passion to me is rather Passionless.


Then either (a) you've never seen it, or (b) you've never actually tried to engage with it, or (c) you have your own emotional issues that won't let you engage with it.

Because Passion is an emotionally complex show, dealing with mature themes using a stunning score that is by turns beautiful and haunting.

It's great. Full stop. Argument over.

Later days
David


Passion's a very well-written, well-constructed show.
It is also, like many of Sondheim's shows, a particular taste.

I can't say I enjoy watching it the same way I do A Little Night Music or Sweeney, but I have full appreciation for it.

Watching the original production makes me cringe, however. Shea was not, in my opinion, good for the role. Murphy and Mazzie outshine him effortlessly. I think that alone is enough to give it a bad name.

EDIT: I'll also mention that Saturday Night is my guilty pleasure...I saw the production in London recently having heard none of the music, ever, and thought it was charming.


also dont you love how Rainbowjude even in the minority thinks that his opiunion on Passion shgould be everyones. ive seen 3 productions including the OBC and even though thw cast..especially Murphy,Mazzie and Aldredge are outstanding its far from his most engaging show emotionally or intelectually.

_________________
Image[/quote]


Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:57 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:43 pm
Posts: 22
Post Re: PASSION
Salome wrote:
missannes wrote:
RainbowJude wrote:
Salome wrote:
Passion to me is rather Passionless.


Then either (a) you've never seen it, or (b) you've never actually tried to engage with it, or (c) you have your own emotional issues that won't let you engage with it.

Because Passion is an emotionally complex show, dealing with mature themes using a stunning score that is by turns beautiful and haunting.

It's great. Full stop. Argument over.

Later days
David


Passion's a very well-written, well-constructed show.
It is also, like many of Sondheim's shows, a particular taste.

I can't say I enjoy watching it the same way I do A Little Night Music or Sweeney, but I have full appreciation for it.

Watching the original production makes me cringe, however. Shea was not, in my opinion, good for the role. Murphy and Mazzie outshine him effortlessly. I think that alone is enough to give it a bad name.

EDIT: I'll also mention that Saturday Night is my guilty pleasure...I saw the production in London recently having heard none of the music, ever, and thought it was charming.


also dont you love how Rainbowjude even in the minority thinks that his opiunion on Passion shgould be everyones. ive seen 3 productions including the OBC and even though thw cast..especially Murphy,Mazzie and Aldredge are outstanding its far from his most engaging show emotionally or intelectually.


Maybe not YOU specifically, but others I've talked to who disliked the show just saw the 94 one and hated it.

But yeah, it's definitely a particular taste. And I agree, it is not his MOST engaging work. It's just not his best work, to take that a step further. Some people can get into it and relate, and others just can't.


Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:42 am
Profile
Supporting Player
Supporting Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:57 pm
Posts: 161
Location: United States
Post 
Quote:
Then either (a) you've never seen it, or (b) you've never actually tried to engage with it, or (c) you have your own emotional issues that won't let you engage with it.

Because Passion is an emotionally complex show, dealing with mature themes using a stunning score that is by turns beautiful and haunting.

It's great. Full stop. Argument over.

Later days
David




"Argument over"? How immature.


I have seen the show twice and tried to engage in it but I think it is a poorly written show. I think it has the potential to be an extremely moving show but does not strike the emotional vein that it should. So don't be accusing anyone of emotional limitations here. The characters do not blossom, the main character is problematic and the dull, plodding music restricts the show from soaring.


Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:25 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.