The Resource For Musicals

Simply Sondheim Forum

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
"Into the Woods" Movie Cast... 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Whoever said that the Narrator should be telling the story to his grandchild - I could probably see that working if the grandchild was the kid the Baker was telling the story to at the end right before "Children will listen." Otherwise, no. What would they do when the Narrator dies?

Mine would be:

Director: Ehhh, I didn't like what Tim did to Sweeney in regards to the cuts. Style-wise, Tim is DEFINITELY my pick.

Narrator/Mysterious Man: Dick van Dyke

Witch: Hmmm. Queen Latifah is an interesting choice, and so is Catherine Zeta-Jones. I can kinda see them in this role - the Queen for her big voice and Catherine for her spooky line delivery.

Cinderella: Anne Hathaway

Baker: Ben Stiller

Baker's Wife: Ooooh, tough choice. Um, Cate Blanchett or Kate Winslet.

Rapunzel: Cheno! She has the voice and something tells me she should do a little Sondheim.

Jack's Mother: Patti Lupone (Jack's Mother has a tendency to dramatize.)

Jack: Don't laugh at me (because I would normally boycott his movies on principle) but I'd love to see what Zac Efron could do with "Giants in the Sky". He seems to have a Jack voice. Think before you put me in Sweeney's chair.

Little Red: Someone said Jeannette McCurdy. Agreed!

Cinderella's Step-Mom: Michelle Pfeifer

Cinderella's Prince/Wolf: This needs someone who can play up the "Charming"and the "Creepy." Gerry Butler!

Rapunzel's Prince: Jake Gyllenhaal

Cinderella's Mother: Angela Lansbury vocally.

Sat May 30, 2009 10:37 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I’d love to see a movie of this directed by Alfonso Cuaron!

My ideal cast:

Narrator- Morgan Freeman
Baker- Hugh Dancy
Baker’s Wife- Kate Winslet
Witch- Cate Blanchett (if she can sing)
Little Red Riding Hood- Annasophia Robb
Cinderella- Anne Hathaway
Jack- Paul Dano
Jack’s Mother- Carol Kane
Cinderella’s Prince- Hugh Jackman
Rapunzel’s Prince- Patrick Wilson
Wolf- Tim Curry
Mysterious Man- Jim Broadbent
Stepmother- Michelle Pfeiffer
Florinda- Brittany Snow
Lucinda- Sara Paxton
Giant- Judi Dench
Granny- Angela Lansbury
Steward- John Cleese
Cinderella’s Mother- Emma Thompson

Last edited by Silverweed on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:18 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Post-Modern Literature
I really cannot comprehend why people are putting Chenoweth in this. Ew ew.
And Sara Paxton and Brittany Snow? Don't you want talented people.

My personal opinion:
AMY ADAMS.

Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:38 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Lucinda and Florinda need not be talented. All they have to do is be convincing as fussy princesses, both of which Sara Paxton and Brittany Snow excel at.

Amy Adams is great but I think that Anne Hathaway would be even better. She has a real edge to her that I think would be just perfect for Cindy.

Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:56 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Post-Modern Literature
Lucinda and Florinda need not be talented. All they have to do is be convincing as fussy princesses, both of which Sara Paxton and Brittany Snow excel at.

Amy Adams is great but I think that Anne Hathaway would be even better. She has a real edge to her that I think would be just perfect for Cindy.

Yeah, they don't need to be fantastic actresses, but they still have to sing Sondheim.

And yes Anne might have that edge, but Amy has just been so wonderful and versatile in everything I've seen her in, I think she could add that edge.

Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:02 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Yeah, they don't need to be fantastic actresses, but they still have to sing Sondheim.

Lucinda and Florinda are hardly singing roles. They have a couple solo lines and that's about it. They are not the focal singers in the show; it's the personality that matters.

And Brittany Snow was Amber in Hairspray, so she can definitely carry a tune. Sara Paxton released an album a few years back, so she can also carry a tune---which is about all that is needed for a role like Florinda or Lucinda. Most importantly, both actresses are annoying as hell and it would be hilarious to see them get their eyes put out and wear sunglasses throughout the second half.

Also, do you know if Amy Adams would have the voice for Cinderella? She's a terrific actress and she was wonderful in Enchanted but based on what I've heard from her singing, I'm not quite sure if she's enough of a soprano for it. And I don't think that dubbing is a good idea for Sondheim.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:23 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Lol, Amy Adams could sing CIRCLES around Anne Hathaway if we're going to get down to it. And no, Florinda and Lucinda need to be good singers. They're exposed quite a bit in the show, and it'd be ridiculous if they couldn't sing.

And no, Brittany Snow was synthesized in Hairspray, so don't even use that as an excuse. She and Amanda Bynes are the ONLY reasons "Mama, I'm a Big Girl Now" was cut from the movie.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:35 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Lol, Amy Adams could sing CIRCLES around Anne Hathaway

Umm... since when?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAsG__XjU8Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNZ8uaw_ ... re=related

I mean, I'm not saying that Amy couldn't sing it, but I haven't heard it yet.

Quote:
And no, Brittany Snow was synthesized in Hairspray, so don't even use that as an excuse. She and Amanda Bynes are the ONLY reasons "Mama, I'm a Big Girl Now" was cut from the movie.

Yet they put in a whole new song, "New Girl in Town", for her.

How do you know she was synthesized? I saw a video of the recording session and Brittany was definitely singing.

Quote:
And no, Florinda and Lucinda need to be good singers. They're exposed quite a bit in the show, and it'd be ridiculous if they couldn't sing.

They're exposed quite a bit, yes, but they have very little singing. They've got a few solo lines in the opening and during Ever After, and that's about it. And seriously, it's not as though Brittany Snow and Sara Paxton can't sing, like, at all.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:19 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

This is something I posted on IMDB a while back, with a few slight changes...

The Witch ...... Bernadette Peters! She's irreplaceable! And still looks beautiful!
Narrator/Mysterious Old Man ....... Al Pacino (He'd make an amazing narrator with his voice n stuff)
Baker .......... Daniel Day Lewis (Okay, not too impressed with him in Nine, but he would act the hell out of the role)
Baker's Wife ... Cate Blanchette or Emma Thompson

Cinderella ........... Amy Adams
Cinderella's Prince .. Hugh Jackman. (Imagine a dreamy Hugh Jackman seducing the baker's wife with 'Any Moment')
Stepmother ........... Laura Linney
Lucinda .............. Emily Blunt
Florinda ............. Amanda Seyfreid

Jack ................. Lucas Grabeel (Sharpay's brother Ryan from HSM. Underrated)
Jack's Mother ........ Meryl Streep (With her fantastic comic timing, I can so imagine her going "You Foolish Child!", and "There's a giant in my backyard").

Little Red Riding Hood .. Dakota Fanning
Granny/Cinderella's Mother/Giant .................. Judi Dench or Angela Lansbury

Rapunzel ............... Emmy Rossum (i know I know, but Rapunzel's role apart from the singing is kinda 'eh')
Rapunzel's Prince ...... Hugh Panaro (True, a tenor, but dreamy nevertheless)

To direct, I'd consider Baz Luhrmann, Rob Marshall, Tim Burton (though I hope he doesn't put Johnny or Helena in this and butcher it like Sweeney Todd the movie), and perhaps even Adam Shankman, or by a long shot - Barbra Streisand (She did a helluva job with Prince of Tides and Yentl).

Somebody, pull me up short
And put me through hell
And give me support
For being alive,
Make me alive.

- Stephen Sondheim

Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:49 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
and butcher it like Sweeney Todd the movie)

The Sweeney Todd film was by consensus very successful..(Sondheim liked it, critics liked it, audiences actually saw it etc..)

Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:29 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Quote:
and butcher it like Sweeney Todd the movie)

The Sweeney Todd film was by consensus very successful..(Sondheim liked it, critics liked it, audiences actually saw it etc..)

Okay, maybe 'Butcher' was too harsh a term (was mostly going for the Irony). However, I feel it could have been so much better had they used actors who could do justice to the singing parts, as well as, not have cut so many songs by length or entirely. Ah Miss for example is so perfect between Green Finch and Johanna. Plus, it seemed so odd watching Sweeney Todd with The Ballad of Sweeney Todd.

Somebody, pull me up short
And put me through hell
And give me support
For being alive,
Make me alive.

- Stephen Sondheim

Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:01 pm

Quote:
Lol, Amy Adams could sing CIRCLES around Anne Hathaway

Umm... since when?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAsG__XjU8Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNZ8uaw_ ... re=related

I mean, I'm not saying that Amy couldn't sing it, but I haven't heard it yet.

You cannot compare "Working Song" to that. That's ridiculous. Watch the Enchanted special features. It has Amy goofing off and doing some crazy legit stuff with James Marsden. It's both cute and impressive.

Silverweed wrote:
Quote:

Yet they put in a whole new song, "New Girl in Town", for her.

How do you know she was synthesized? I saw a video of the recording session and Brittany was definitely singing.

Right, just like the footage of Zac Efron singing in the studio for the first HSM movie :roll:

No, Brittany was entirely synthesized and furthermore, if anything, they wrote in "New Girl in Town" for the Dynamites, not her. She's no more of a singer than Britney Spears is now (and I say NOW, because back in the day, when Brit was in "Ruthless" girl could BELT FACE).

Silverweed wrote:
They're exposed quite a bit, yes, but they have very little singing. They've got a few solo lines in the opening and during Ever After, and that's about it. And seriously, it's not as though Brittany Snow and Sara Paxton can't sing, like, at all.

No, but they have no sense of musicality what so ever. Florinda and Lucinda have a few harmonies to hold and somewhat difficult rhythms in almost all of their music. I say give it to someone who won't need eight extra rehearsals to nail it.

But as for Anne Hathaway, I have changed my mind. I think she'd be a wonderful Cinderella.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:02 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next