The Resource For Musicals

Simply Sondheim Forum

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
"Children and Art" 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post "Children and Art"
In my opinion Sondheim's saddest song. Anyone else love this one?

I love the way Bernadette performed it too. She was amazing!!!

"Child is so sweet and the girls are so rapturous. Isn't it lovely how artists can capture us?"

Love that lyric!!

Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:44 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I heard this song for the first time earlier today. Love love loved it.

All-Star Musical Character://Younger Brother in Ragtime

Theme Song://Good Thing Going from Merrily We Roll Along

Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:06 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I've never heard anything from Sunday In The Park With George. I really ought to dl some of it.

Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:55 pm
Profile YIM
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Capture us...rapturous. Noice.

That is why he is a genius!!

Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:55 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I play this often. It's such an emotional song. One of Sondheim's very best songs.

Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:32 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post SUNDAY: "Children and Art"
Disney-Bway27 in the Random Facts Thread wrote:
I'm doing homework and "Children and Art" from Sunday in the Park with George comes on my iPod and now I'm bawling like a baby. Great. :P That song just KILLS me.

It truly is a phenomenally moving song and it is such a beautiful marriage of sentiment and character. To have it all come together in such an expertly constructed piece of music - suited to both the concept that unites the score (the short musical phrases that make up the whole, in the way that the dots come together to form the image in the painting) and also to the character (whose age is reflected in the lack of long phrases and the placement of the song in the voice) - and in a set of painstakingly crafted lyrics makes the song magical. It is a superb piece of work.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:10 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re:
dramaqueen220222 wrote:
Capture us...rapturous. Noice.

Of course, then he follows that up with

"This is our family, this is the lot
After I go this is all that you've got."

Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:20 am

Post "Children and Art"
And isn't it brilliant that he does? Both lyrics specifically reflect character and action at the particular moments in which they appear. Sondheim knows when to go for a clever rhyme and when to go with a simple one, and he knows how to marry both to his music. Look at how perfectly married the lyrics are with the cadence of the melodic line, which has been composed using theme and variation in line with the concept that defines the entire score. It's an example not only of expert craftsmanship, but also of subtle and moving artistry, yet another measure of the song's greatness.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:19 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: "Children and Art"
RainbowJude wrote:
And isn't it brilliant that he does? Both lyrics specifically reflect character and action at the particular moments in which they appear. Sondheim knows when to go for a clever rhyme and when to go with a simple one, and he knows how to marry both to his music. Look at how perfectly married the lyrics are with the cadence of the melodic line, which has been composed using theme and variation in line with the concept that defines the entire score. It's an example not only of expert craftsmanship, but also of subtle and moving artistry, yet another measure of the song's greatness.

Actually, "you've got" is a completely wrong phrase for Marie. The other two times in the script where this is possible, it's "you have". So no, I don't think that it is brilliant that he does that. I think that it is sloppy.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:47 pm

Post "Children and Art"
scottinkc wrote:
Actually, "you've got" is a completely wrong phrase for Marie. The other two times in the script where this is possible, it's "you have". So no, I don't think that it is brilliant that he does that. I think that it is sloppy.

Actually, it's not at all wrong for Marie at all. You just haven't thought it through completely. The choice indicates a progression in character that has vital implications for the action that follows. Marie's line - 'Family - it's all you really have' - has become, not for her but for George and as it is perceived by others in the cynical contemporary world portrayed in the play, something of a platitude. Marie knows she's on death's doorstep; she knows that she says her phrase often and that George's ears are deaf to it's meaning; and to communicate the phrase directly to him, she adapts her language. It's no longer a platitude, but a direct address to George, one that clearly strikes a chord because he immediately tries to dismiss it in a way that he doesn't need to when she brings up 'this discussion' through the platitudes and stories to which she probably turns when the topic arises. But Marie won't let him do that and uses a series of tactics to get through to him, the first being this shift in her language. The function and tone of her language have both shifted, so why shouldn't her language shift too? (In any case, the 'have' is implied in the contraction. If she had said, "all that you got", then that would have been inappropriate for Marie.) The strategy works too: it is this exchange that prompts George to express his desire to 'connect' in a way that no previous exchange with Marie - and we can conclude that there have been many like it - has done. This in turn creates a George that can be receptive to the message of 'Move On'. It's not sloppy, it's subtle - and it is brilliant.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:26 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Well, I suppose that it is possible that we are to believe that Marie thinks "Hmm, I've said the same thing the same way so many times, but now I'll say the same thing using a word structure which I've never used in my 98 years, and by doing so I'll shock him into understanding." And then it's possible that George hears this and says "Wow, the old bat just said 'got', this must be serious. Therefore, when I go on my already planned trip to the island several weeks in the future, I'm going to take that red book, but I'm not going to read it until I get there, in an effort to 'connect' with my past." I guess all that is possible.

Or, it's possible that Sondheim couldn't think of a good word to rhyme with 'have'.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:07 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

scottinkc wrote:
Or, it's possible that Sondheim couldn't think of a good word to rhyme with 'have'.

This is a good thought, because the only word I can think of is 'salve', and it's hard to work ointments into a showtune.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next